Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Is Kobo getting rid of DRM?

I've been watching my books on Kobo the last few days for a price change I made. Today I noticed that some of my books were now DRM free! It's the newer ones that have recently been shipped. (I distribute there through Smashwords)

Has anyone else noticed this change? It seems to me that all of them were DRM before.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
More likely they're finally responding to people's complaints about books from publishers who've made a commitment to DRM-free when possible (Carina Press, etc.) having their books auto-DRMed when they hit the Kobo store.

But yeah, it's a step in the right direction and hopefully they offer DRM-free out of the box as a publishing option from now on.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I've noticed that some books say:

Download options: EPUB | Adobe DRM EPUB

and others say

Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB

In my library, the first type then say "Download EPUB" (with no Adobe DRM option) while the second type say "Download Adobe DRM EPUB"

Are the ones that just say "EPUB" DRM free? How would one tell?
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Wish ALL eBooks were DRM Free! Once you buy them You should beable to put them on the eReader of Your Choice! DRM is Dumb!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just checked again today. All of my books are now available on Kobo and all of them have DRM free versions.

@Katie1, It really would be nice if all eBooks were DRM free.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
John; my experience is that regardless of the text on the web-site, downloading either a book labelled as "EPUB | Adobe DRM EPUB" with the button next to it "Download EPUB" or "Adobe DRM EPUB" with the button "ADOBE DRM EPUB" both result in an ACSM file being downloaded, and a protected ePub being downloaded.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
John Carroll
kookoo

It is now saying:

Download options:
EPUB (DRM-Free)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You should be able to download the file to the location of your choice and then import it into Calibre as a drm free epub or to drag and drop it onto your device (if Nook supports that).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

John; could you tell us the book (or books) you are seeing that on please.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Search for "John H. Carroll"
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I did,... and I don't see "EPUB (DRM-Free)"
Old 12-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
It's not on the button but in the description. The button will actually show 'Download Epub'. Some duplicate listings of his books still show Adobe DRM.

Last edited by SF&F Reader; 12-16-2011 at 11:27 PM.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I wonder if it's a geographical difference? In Canada I only get the ACSM option for The Emo Bunny. (Not sure if I should read it because it's not for normal children and I think I'm a normal child - well I was, once ...)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Finally I find one! "Attack of the Sugar Plum Fairies, A Story for Demented Children"

Of course, when I click the option to download from "I'm Reading" it downloads a ZIP file! (And yes.. I know that an ePub IS a renamed zip but.....).
Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Strangely I can't find any of the OP's books at all when I search - either by name or by book title. They show up under the search options when you start typing in the box, but not in the results.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, kobo