Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
eReader Pro now free for Windows Mobile

Kevin Tofel at JkOnTheRun is reporting that eReader Pro for Windows Mobile is not only updated, but now is free, and even comes with a few free e-books ("Jungles of Tarzan", "Swiss Family Robinson" and "A Tale of Two Cities").

Also of interest, Kevin notes that it "... looks like you can browse the store, get basic book info, purchase and then download your content right over the air". As always, you need a data plan and you may be charged for air time and data transmissions by your wireless carrier, but it's interesting to see eReader doing an update like this. If you have a PalmOS smart phone, not to worry. You can still purchase e-books over the air the old fashioned way, by browsing at the eReader web site and downloading the book after you buy it.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
eReader may be seeing the writing on the wall, the possibility of losing market share to Sony and Connect, and the need to make their product more attractive. More power to 'em!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I believe this is wrong: the ereader that has been free remains free, but you must still pay for ereaderpro.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
I believe this is wrong: the ereader that has been free remains free, but you must still pay for ereaderpro.
There could be an issue - I didn't actually purchase and register it because I already own it. But looks correct to me in terms of what is on the web pages. They really do seem to now be offering the one platform with the OTA feature as a special deal.

Look at this page for a little more indication. Seems that the WinMobile Pro version is free, and the other platforms can get the Pro version now for only $4.95 (half off).

Even better, they indicate that they are working on adding the same features to other platforms!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

You are right, I stand corrected.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think the major downfall to eReader is that no eink device supports it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
radleyp
Evangelist

That's an odd way of putting it. To me that's a downfall of the e-ink devices and their closed systems, and it is precisely the absence of ereader that makes me resist the Sony and similar devices.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Hi!

I used ereader a lot in my palm, but for me, ereader for wm has a great drawback: lacks a fullscreen mode.

I suppose this wasn't changed...

Greetings,

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's an odd way of putting it. To me that's a downfall of the e-ink devices and their closed systems, and it is precisely the absence of ereader that makes me resist the Sony and similar devices.
If you prefer, Mobipocket is available on the Cybook gen3 when it coes out. It's not as closed. But however, Mobipocket books do tend to be more expensive in some cases. So it's no different then purchasing other formats such as MS Reader and converting.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Prior to the Sony I read on a Palm powered cell phone. I started with Palm Reader (the old name for eReader) and moved to Mobipocket for Palm. Mobipocket was a far better reading experience for me.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
radleyp
Evangelist

Interesting, as I find ereader better, if only because the book selection is greater. Why do you prefer Mobipocket?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
I used eReader going all the way back to its Peanut Press days. For Palm you just couldn't beat the format and content. Then I moved to iSilo. Now, my Palm and treos are long gone in favor of my trusty (and reliable) Blackberry and PRS-500. The books I bought from eReader are all stranded in unsupported format limbo now...sadness. My PRS-500 is now my default book reader. If it can't be read on teh Sony reader....it don't get readed. ( and yes...I meant it to sound like I typed it)

It's format wars all over again. Unfortunately, Sony (as is their custom) won't support a format unless they can make money on it...and vice-versa.

Can't they all just get along?
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Interesting, as I find ereader better, if only because the book selection is greater. Why do you prefer Mobipocket?
Several reasons come quickly to mind.
  • First, I have the Samsung i500 and Mobipocket uses the buttons on the side of the phone for page turns whereas with Palm Reader I have to click on the down arrow on the touch sensitive screen to advance the page.
  • Second, Mobipocket gives me more reading area per page. The screen is already small for starters and I can easily read the Mobipocket page before the default backlighting turns off.
  • Third, it seems to render the characters and lines better. (Not that even that representation is anything to write home about.)
  • Finally, I have all of the Mobipocket PRC formatted books available and it reads all of my older PDB files as well.
That said, I have read very little on it in the past year as the Sony Reader is so far superior IMHO.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do my best to make sure that if I was to move to a device that did not support LRF I would not be stranded with too many books that I cannot convert to take with me. I think if I was to switch formats, I would go with Mobipocket due to being able to convert to that format. Plus it's supported on other eink devices. eReader is not and that to me is a big drawback. I don't want to read on a tiny screen. 6" is small enough.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
There could be an issue - I didn't actually purchase and register it because I already own it. But looks correct to me in terms of what is on the web pages. They really do seem to now be offering the one platform with the OTA feature as a special deal.

Look at this page for a little more indication. Seems that the WinMobile Pro version is free, and the other platforms can get the Pro version now for only $4.95 (half off).

Even better, they indicate that they are working on adding the same features to other platforms!
The price no longer includes a dictionary as the older pro version did. Dictionary support is in the new product but if you buy a dictionary you will actually spend more money. I do think this is a good move for Palm to make the product more in line with the competition. I expect all of the versions will end up being free at some point.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote