Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
alstein
Enthusiast
alstein began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Sony Reader Store (Canada) incident

Hi, I recently purchased a Sony Reader Touch Edition in the USA. After setting up the reader software from my PC at home, I purchased a few books from the Sony Reader store. I live in Canada, and the account information reflects this. The store actually has a "eBook Store Canada" section listed as a category under bestsellers (strange). After purchasing a couple of books which I had assumed were being charged in Canadian funds, I decided to check. contacted Sony and was told that I would not be charged in US funds. When I checked my credit card a couple of days later, I had been charged in US funds, which were then converted to Canadian funds at the prevailing exchange rate. I called Sony again, and spoke to a supervisor who confirmned that the Reader store charges Canadian clients in US funds, and that the charges are then converted by the credit card company. I am quite surprised, since I assumed that if there was a Canadian Reader store that I woold be charged in Canadian funds. Nowhere in the FAQ, or on the site, was I able to find any information about this. I mentioned that I buy music form iTunes Canada and am charged in Canadian Funds. It just doesn't make sense. I then decided to try out the Kobo store, and was able to purchase a book and was charged in Canadian funds. Interestingly, when I downloaded the book, it populated on my Sony Reader Library software. The book I downloaded was Jericho's fall by Steven L. Carter. Kobo charged $10.59 CDN, and Sony is charging 18.17USF.
alstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstein View Post
Interestingly, when I downloaded the book, it populated on my Sony Reader Library software.
Sony Reader Library "hijacks" the epub/acsm format when you install it unless you explicitly tell it not to. That's why your Kobo epub opened in Sony Reader and not ADE.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
alstein
Enthusiast
alstein began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks. I'm OK with Kobo downloading to Sony Reader. I'm not OK with them not specifically advising Canadian users that they are being charged in US funds.
alstein is offline   Reply With Quote