Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
What's your update rule-of-thumb?

Do you update every new edition?
Only when the revision seems relevant to your usage?
Only when it's a full number?
And how do you decide?

I'm probably THE charter member of 'tech illiterati' so please bear with me.

Does each download completely overwrite the existing data or does it just update?

I have wireless, but I'm right on the edge of the hinterlands so service is lousy, downloading is slow and anything over 3 Mb, I usually wait until I can get to a hotspot - or I end up with small corruptions and large frustration.

THANKS!
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I check the changelog and if I see features I'd be interested in, I update.

If I see I don't need anything I leave it alone. I'm generally updating every 3-4 updates.

Not sure about Windows but on a Mac it just updates over everything, all settings are retained.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
depends on how much I'm working with my libraries...I'll go weeks sometimes. And then I don't necessarily update. Example, right now I'm on 0.8.46.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I only update if there have been major changes that I want to use. I check out the Major new features log to see what's new. I keep a copy of the version I'm using before updating, just in case.

I updated before attempting to use the collections plug in, it's a good idea to be current before using advanced features. I updated every other week or so for a few months when there were things changing to improve metadata downloading and the automatic add from a folder feature was added and tweaked. I haven't updated for a while because the recent updates were for improvements to the viewer and handing KF8. I don't use the viewer and wanted to wait till all the bugs with KF8 were worked out before doing another update.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabana View Post
Do you update every new edition?
Only when the revision seems relevant to your usage?
Only when it's a full number?
And how do you decide?

I'm probably THE charter member of 'tech illiterati' so please bear with me.

Does each download completely overwrite the existing data or does it just update?

I have wireless, but I'm right on the edge of the hinterlands so service is lousy, downloading is slow and anything over 3 Mb, I usually wait until I can get to a hotspot - or I end up with small corruptions and large frustration.

THANKS!
IMHO Check the sections in the 'What is New' section on the Calibre home page (There is a copy of just the Latest one, as a sticky in this section) feature(s) list , Bugs fixed to see if there is a 'Gotta have it now' update. If you are a user of the many 'User Plugins', check the version requirements ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=1 ) for their needed latest update (I don't know if the PI Update Notification only shows those that apply to your version of Calibre)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO Check the sections in the 'What is New' section on the Calibre home page (There is a copy of just the Latest one, as a sticky in this section) feature(s) list , Bugs fixed to see if there is a 'Gotta have it now' update.
Seems to be a common theme...checking what is included in the update is one of the first things I do as well. I do go ahead and download the current version, but usually wait to install, depending on if I need that version or if it is a convenient time to update.

For slow/spotty connections, try downloading at non-peak usage times, it may help.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I just update everytime ... since I am not techy figures it saves headaches trying to figure it out! NOW Yeasterday I went to update was told it had a bug! So I didnt.... Anyone know what going on?? For the 8.55 ....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
It depends. Recently, one of my favourite plugins broke so I've waited for the new Calibre that the updated plugin would work with. Sometimes, I just check what's new and decide whether I need it or not.

I've noticed that the more time I spend here on the forum, the more frequently I update Calibre . I just find out sooner about changes, improvements etc. and want to check them and benefit from the latest developments . When I'm not on the forum, I don't usually update Calibre (I don't react to the prompts in the application).

As I tend to spend a lot of time on the forum for some time and than not to visit it for a couple of days or weeks, depending on my mood and the time I have, the frequency of my updates varies heavily .
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
For me its:
  • Download every update
  • Read the Changelog for every update
  • Update always if there is a change/fix that applies to my usage, otherwise I update most (~70-80%) of the time
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Zikka
Zikka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I tend to update mine as it bugs me to do so, but only because I keep hoping someone clever will come up with a brilliant way of creating and managing collections for the KT
Zikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I update whenever there's a calibre update, and read What's New and Bug Fixes while downloading. Then I install immediately after download. Note there are always bug fixes with an update. If later I notice a new bug in that latest update that crimps my workflow annoyingly enough (which is rare) I'll just reintall the immediately previous update and wait for that new bug to be fixed, which usually happens with the next update.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'm going with multiples of 0.5 or when a plug-in update requires a newer version - whichever is earlier. I've got a bit of OCD though so I always stick to either multiples of 0.2 or 0.5.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Iocane
Iocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
I generally update under one of three conditions ...

1) The apparently most common theme of 'Whenever there's a feature I like/will use' with the added application of if a plugin i use is updated beyond my current level.

2) Every 5 updates or so - so I just updated to .55.

3) Whenever I'm trying to teach someone Calibre, since they're gonna have the latest version, I update as well so I'm not baffled in case they ask about new features.
Iocane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
my linux distro does it for me... one less thing to worry about
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Thanks, everyone. I do check What's New - and figure if I haven't a clue what it's referring to, I probably don't need it, lol. I think multiples of .05 would satisfy my OCD tendencies, also.
Btw, I was told OCD should be written as CDO (alphabetical, you know). :^]
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote