Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
New Firmware for Story HD (WiFi) 1:25?

This downloaded for me yesterday, but I have no idea what was fixed or changed. I don't see anything listed for this on the iriver website. Other than messing up my clock, does anyone know what it's supposed to do?
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure if it's related, but the Wifi version of the Story HD was just released in Germany (used to be basic non-wifi only before now), and it doesn't use Google Books but a localized shop for ebooks. It also comes with a German keyboard layout (qwertz with umlauts). So there's bound to be firmware changes for the German Story HD Wifi.

What I don't know is if iriver is maintaining that firmware themselves or joining it with the standard / US version of the wifi firmware, or if the German retailer is somehow making their own firmware independently for the device.

If there's a new firmware it will show up on their homepage sooner or later I guess and then we'll know
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I installed this update last night, and I've only seen 2 differences so far, both bad.
The first, which you mentioned, is that it changed the time and time zone I had set.
The second is the loss of a feature I liked. I had a folder of .jpegs in the "image" directory, and when displaying one you could go to the next file just by pushing the down or right arrow. That no longer works; now you have to back out of the file and choose the next one from the list. So I'm not happy with the change.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the time zone a permanent problem? My reader loses the time every time I reset it by holding the power button 15 secs. Which happens only when I play around with root scripts. It's easily amended by setting the time back to normal.

For the jpegs that sucks but I guess you can always zip em up into a .cbr file...

I wonder why this firmware, if it exists, still isn't available on the homepage...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I immediately changed the time and time zone back, and it's stayed the way I set it since.
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Ntsimp
Zealot

Just last night I realized there's a good change too: In an ePub with internal links, the Back button now takes you back to the last link you came from, instead of all the way out of the book. That is, the Back button is now a Back button, not just another Home button!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

Great to hear that links work in the first place - they don't in my firmware version (1.13) there's no way to select them or anything (or if there is I haven't found the trick to it yet).
Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Ntsimp
Zealot

iriver says here that it was version 1.21 that added support for links in ePubs (as well as searching in ePubs and PDFs). But in that version the Back button just took you out of the book. Now the footnotes in 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas work as intended!

Out of curiosity, why not update? Do the newer versions restrict rooting/hacking? I haven't dared to try running a script yet (I can't afford to brick a $100 device).
Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

Because there are also a couple of changes I don't like and there's no way to configure. The script that runs other scripts is relatively safe, it renames the script files on the SD card, so if something hangs it won't run a second time so you can just reset / reboot the device.

Maybe I'll find the time to put a couple of small things together that people can just copy onto their reader, like custom screensaver pictures. Wish the firmware was designed to be more open (like the way it is with PocketBook devices). But you can't have everything... the higher resolution was an absolute must have for me
Old 12-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
Just last night I realized there's a good change too: In an ePub with internal links, the Back button now takes you back to the last link you came from, instead of all the way out of the book. That is, the Back button is now a Back button, not just another Home button!
I haven't run into that one yet. I'll have to try it out.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
ozwrangler
ozwrangler began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver HD Story
Please help.
I cannot unzip the file (think I can fix that), but don't know what "push hex file" means?

Any plain English instructions much appreciated
ozwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote