Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #1081
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulmam92 View Post
Hi Willus,

I'm trying to convert pdf book(not scanned) for the optimal format for kindle voyage. One of the issues that I'm having is that bookmarks information that I can see when I open the original pdf is gone after the conversion. If I open the converted file using adobe reader, bookmarks are missing from the navigation pane.

Below is the option that I used.
-ui- -x -dev kpw -col 1 -f2p -n

Can you help me out?
Bookmarks should work. Can you post or PM me the source PDF file?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #1082
kulmam92
kulmam92 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
I sent PM

Last edited by kulmam92; 06-16-2015 at 04:56 AM.
kulmam92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #1083
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulmam92 View Post
Hi Willus,

I'm trying to convert pdf book(not scanned) for the optimal format for kindle voyage. One of the issues that I'm having is that bookmarks information that I can see when I open the original pdf is gone after the conversion. If I open the converted file using adobe reader, bookmarks are missing from the navigation pane.

Below is the option that I used.
-ui- -x -dev kpw -col 1 -f2p -n

Can you help me out?
The bookmarks show up fine for me, though I tried it in Windows, and I'm using Sumatra PDF reader to look at the file, not Adobe Reader. I'll send you a sample of my output. What is your OS (and OS version)?

Also, the -f2p option needs a value after it. It is ignored the way you have it. You might want to use this:

-ui- -x -dev kpw -mode fw

I think it will give you the best results for your book provided the text is still large enough to make out on your reader.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #1084
kulmam92

I checked your file and toc was there. However, when I convert using the same option you provided from my desktop, it's still missing. OS is windows 8.1 enterprise edition. I also tried to convert your sample file but no luck.

I tried to convert using macbook and conversion failed with the below error.
SOURCE PAGE 264 of 494 (8.0 x 9.2 in) ... Segmentation fault: 11

Last edited by kulmam92; 06-16-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #1085
kulmam92

I'm posting this to clear out the confusion.
I was using k2pdfoptgui 2.0.exe and it doesn't handle TOC well.
As soon as I use k2pdfopt.exe on windows, everything worked as expected.
Willus thank you for following up this.
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #1086
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
K2pdfopt optimizes PDF/DJVU files for mobile e-readers (e.g. the Kindle) and smartphones. It works well on multi-column PDF/DJVU files. K2pdfopt is open source.

HOW TO USE K2PDFOPT:
No install is required and no extra files or packages are necessary to run k2pdfopt. Just drag and drop your PDF/DJVU file icon onto the k2pdfopt icon to convert it. You will be prompted for conversion options (as of v1.16). Press <Enter> to convert the file using the default settings. A new PDF file with _k2opt at the end of the name will be created. The output file is optimized for viewing on Kindles and other mobile readers with 6-inch screens (if the settings are not customized). Or drop a folder full of PDF/DJVU files onto the k2pdfopt icon to batch process. You can even drop a folder full of bitmap images to have them converted into a single PDF as if they were pages of a PDF file.

Now it has built-in GUI for Windows version:

k2pdfopt GUI on Linux using Wine: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...17#post2844617

homepage: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

how to: http://willus.com/archive/k2pdfopt/help/

can be used on Windows, Linux and OS X

Alternative GUIs for k2pdfopt

Do you have a link to the sample file in the OP, before and after? Would like to try both on the cell phone and see/feel the difference.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #1087
agelos100
Enthusiast
agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle
Hello Willus,

I am trying to convert a pdf file with k2pdf and I have a minor problem, which you may be able to help.

I attach test.pdf and test_k2opt.pdf files. I have circled the problematic words.

I use re-flow option (which I haven't used much until now) and when a word is divided at the end of a line at the input file, I get quite a big gap when the whole word is repositioned on a single line.

I played with -gtw and -ws option without any success.

I have win7, k2pdf version 2.32 and:
-dev kp2 -de 1.5 -col 1 -odpi 232

Thank you in advance,

Angelos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (22.2 KB, 230 views)
File Type: pdf test_k2opt.pdf (89.0 KB, 273 views)
agelos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #1088
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Do you have a link to the sample file in the OP, before and after? Would like to try both on the cell phone and see/feel the difference.
Yes--they are both available at http://willus.com/k2pdfopt/ near the top of the page--click on the thumbnail of each file to get the PDF.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #1089
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelos100 View Post
I use re-flow option (which I haven't used much until now) and when a word is divided at the end of a line at the input file, I get quite a big gap when the whole word is repositioned on a single line.

I played with -gtw and -ws option without any success.
It looks like the hyphen detection algorithm (which has to detect the hyphen purely graphically) needs some tweaking. I will take a look when I get a chance and modify it for the next release if I can improve it.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #1090
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Psyny and others:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-22-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #1091
amiroo
amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quality of fonts on SCANNED pdfs with Kindle paperwhite

Hi Willus
I have a kindle paperwhite 2 that you know the same as other readers has problem with A4 pdfs that your valuable software solved it. But kindle paperwhite 2 in comparison with Kindle keyboard has two other problems for SCANNED pdfs.
First it doesn't show some letters of a word in different location of a page. I specifically speak about Persian books but as the are scanned and seen as image I think language is not a matter. By your software this problem solved completely. Thanks

But there is another problem that the quality of a scanned pdf book in Paperwhite is much lower than Kindle keyboard in spite the resolution in Paperwhite is much higher. (212 DPI for Paperwhite and 167 for DPI for keyboard). So it is not a matter of screen resolution. In other words in Kindle Keyboard the edge of fonts are smoother with more quality. (see attached pic and I hope by zooming it you can see the difference)

The k2pdfopt didn't recover this problem (as far as I know and use default options of software and even by increasing resolution) and I suppose maybe this is not the aim of your software and the problem is due to bad software of Kindle Paperwhite!
I think based on your experience maybe you have a remedy or solution for this as I have investigated a lot but no one can give a clear answer even Amazon staffs.
I appreciate any guide on this and again appreciate you for your valuable software.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle paperwhite VS Keyboard quality of SCANNED PDFs.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	664.9 KB
ID:	140202  
amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #1092
amiroo
amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.amiroo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Hi willus
by help of a guy a good solution found:

Argoniton
Argoniton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch 6, Kindle NT 4, ipad, sony xperia s.

Hi everyone I've just solved this problem, merely by using additional option in Acrobat Text Recognition called ClearScan (Tools->Text Recognition-> In this File->Edit-> Clear Scan)

Note: Amazon e-book intentionally reduces quality in scanned pdfs (i.e. images of real pages) beginning from 4 gen, thus you should omit using pictures in pdf. And that acrobat tool successfully deals with.

can you invorporate above step as an option in your software?

cheets
Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #1093
amiroo

Quality of fonts on SCANNED pdfs with Kindle paperwhite

I checked it on some more pdf file and it seems that the 'clear scan' OCR by Adobe Acrobat only make some of the files better not all of the. Anyway i still wait for the best solution.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #1094
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiroo View Post
I checked it on some more pdf file and it seems that the 'clear scan' OCR by Adobe Acrobat only make some of the files better not all of the. Anyway i still wait for the best solution.
Thanks
Welcome to MobileRead. It's difficult for me to see a difference in the photo of the two kindles that you posted. Can you do a screen capture from both of them and post those images? And also post the converted PDFs for each kindle? You should be able to google the proper sequence to do a screen capture on each type of kindle. Are you using the paperwhite setting (-dev kpw) so that k2pdfopt saves the images inside the PDF at the exact resolution of the paperwhite? If you can do that, and post the screen capture from the paperwhite, and also the converted PDF file, that would be very helpful.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #1095
amiroo

Hi Willus
Unfortunately It is not very clear in picture. Please see the two pages of this thread that may clear the matter.
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=215598&page=1
Cheers

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools