Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
daewon774
daewon774 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Kindle 3 - is the only lighted cover the Amazon Lighted Kindle Cover???

Hi everyone,

I just received my kindle 3 yesterday and absolutely love it. I love it so much that I need to protect it. I've been searching the web and the forums for a lighted cover and all I run into is the Amazon Lighted Kindle 3 Cover. Is this the only lighted cover available in the market right now? If not, could you list what you have and your experience with other covers with lights?
daewon774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi and welcome to mobileread

Congrats on your new Kindle. Yes a cover is definitely a good idea especially if you are planning to take it out and about or if you have pets or children!

As far as I'm aware, the only lighted cover is the Amazon one which is what I have. It is a little on the pricey side but if you read a lot at night or in dim areas, a light is a good idea. This one is just so convenient.

But you could also get a cover and there are separate clip on lights to be had - I don't know much about those.

More help:

Thread: All about lights https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112946

Thread: All about covers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112944

Hope that helps a bit
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
daewon774

Hi KindleWorm,

thanks for the reply. I thought that it might be the only available lighted cover. I like that the light hides away and there is no need to carry another accessory like a separate light. I like to keep my goodies compact and simple. Looks like I will be making another order!

Ed
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
M-edge allows you to add their light by inserting it into the provided light pocket
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
daewon774

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
M-edge allows you to add their light by inserting it into the provided light pocket
Oooooo... this is interesting. Thanks for the reply
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Here are some pictures of mine. I have the DX case. M-edge has a sale on them right now so I got for 20.00 and I love it. I also use the Octovo splash cover with it cause I use my kindle to teach my kids lessons a lot with it. The light runs on a AAA battery, and it lasts quite a while with two levels of brightness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1033.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	1,021.1 KB
ID:	64217   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1040.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	713.3 KB
ID:	64218   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1036.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	742.1 KB
ID:	64219   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1041.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	1,022.4 KB
ID:	64220  
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I read my kindle constantly and actually find the need for a light to be very rare. it is very easy to see it in relatively low light situations. you might want to spend a couple of days reading on it to see if you really need to have a dedicated lit cover.

enjoy and welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
nimblem
Addict

I normally don't use my light often either. I use sometimes during the night when I don't want to wake everyone up by turning the light on. Typically I use to read when I take my kiddos to the movies. I sit in the back and read while they watch whatever kid movie is out at the time.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
FWIW, I've only had my K3 for a few weeks... but I've gone through 2 cases and 2 lights... and have returned them all for the lighted Kindle cover.

Both cases that I tried were very well made and did the job. But my complaint was that the way the K3 fit into the cases caused a problem for me getting to the right arrow bar. Any case made this way could/may have the same issue and both my cases (from different mfgs) had the same issue. Here's a pic to show what I mean:

Maybe my thumb is too big. But I always had to be careful hitting that right arrow bar because the case material intruded just enough to be in the way.

And the light issue: I bought the Pathway light from Target and the Mighty Bright TravelFlex... and returned them both. The Pathway was too large and clunky for my tastes and I couldn't even close the case cover with it on. It was always an issue of putting on and taking off the light. I just don't want to dink around with a bunch of gear (I take my K3 all over the place with me).

The TravelFlex could have worked, but recognizing that I was going to replace both cases anyway, I figured I might as well get a case that provided no intrusions on the face and had a light, all in one package. And while I don't often need a light, those few times when I do it sure would be nice to have it available if I remember to bring the light along. With it built into the cover like the lighted Kindle cover, I have it all in one nice and neat package.

So the lighted Kindle cover is now on its way to me.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
We use an M-Edge cover with their e-Luminator light with our K2 and that works very well. The nice thing about the lighted Amazon cover for the K3 is that it runs off the Kindle battery. Both offer the convenience of having a light right there without and external 3rd device.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
FWIW, I've only had my K3 for a few weeks... but I've gone through 2 cases and 2 lights... and have returned them all for the lighted Kindle cover.

Both cases that I tried were very well made and did the job. But my complaint was that the way the K3 fit into the cases caused a problem for me getting to the right arrow bar. Any case made this way could/may have the same issue and both my cases (from different mfgs) had the same issue. Here's a pic to show what I mean:

Maybe my thumb is too big. But I always had to be careful hitting that right arrow bar because the case material intruded just enough to be in the way.

And the light issue: I bought the Pathway light from Target and the Mighty Bright TravelFlex... and returned them both. The Pathway was too large and clunky for my tastes and I couldn't even close the case cover with it on. It was always an issue of putting on and taking off the light. I just don't want to dink around with a bunch of gear (I take my K3 all over the place with me).

The TravelFlex could have worked, but recognizing that I was going to replace both cases anyway, I figured I might as well get a case that provided no intrusions on the face and had a light, all in one package. And while I don't often need a light, those few times when I do it sure would be nice to have it available if I remember to bring the light along. With it built into the cover like the lighted Kindle cover, I have it all in one nice and neat package.

So the lighted Kindle cover is now on its way to me.
would you mind putting this up up in both the cover and light threads in the stickies? along with the names of the covers? this is really good information for people to have and this way it will be up there and readily available for people who are still looking.

Thanks! ;o)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Sure.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
daewon774

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I went ahead and ordered the Kindle Cover with Light from Amazon!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by daewon774 View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I went ahead and ordered the Kindle Cover with Light from Amazon!
You'll love it! I balked at the price at first too, but it's very sturdy and feels like it will protect the Kindle well, it holds the Kindle very securely, and the light is very good. Not to mention, you don't have to worry about your light's battery running out as long as you keep the Kindle itself charged (I hate dealing with separate batteries).

The only downside is that it adds some not-insignificant weight. But if the ambient lighting is good, you can always use the Kindle "naked".
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote