Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Better solution. Return the PW and get a reader that handles ePub natively.
Buy a used Sony reader or a new T2, I recommend the Sony PRS950.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Though Amazon does not support AZW3/KF8 e-mailing.
They do. It was added recently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
See, sleep late and you'll miss a few things! Good to know...thanks.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Though Amazon does not support AZW3/KF8 e-mailing. Also, if you don't like the embedded font you're stuck with it. Have to admit, I haven't missed dropped caps....I guess I'm in it for the words and not Author's desire for the 'full' experience!

Shaded tables and better formatted tables are important to me. I read some non-fiction stuff, such as diet books, books on aquarium care, model rockets and other books that make use of tables.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Conversion with Calibre between epub and mobi is no problem at all. The formats are very similar so you don't loose quality.
Ugh,,, There is much wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin. Only epubs with the barest of formatting would convert cleanly. (earlier, this wasn't a problem, since most books were designed that way with Kindle and earlier prc/mobipocket readers in mind.)

Hmm, lets see, we already mentioned drop caps, shaded tables, fonts (which are optional to the reader on Kindle's, btw.) How about text indent defined as a % being rendered properly instead of half way across the page, any variance of right margin being either lost, or rendered as nested blockquotes (which is worse depends on the book, I suppose.) No right margin variance at all. Those are just the things that would trip up and require hand editing on 50% of the books I tried converting back whe I still bothered creating KF6 mobis.

Last edited by rashkae; 03-26-2013 at 10:03 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
woel
woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.woel can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Since a lot of people seem to be saying "why would you buy a Paperwhite if you want ePub support???", I just want to clarify. This concerns lending ebooks from my local library, since I want to support them and they use ePub predominantly. It doesn't concern any large amount of books.

Concerning the topic of this thread, I have started using Calibre and the conversions work splendidly from ePub to azw3. I find it a bit strange that people keep referring to ePub to mobi conversions - why would I use mobi on a Paperwhite?

Thanks to everyone that have replied, I believe Calibre will work wonderfully for all my conversion needs in the future.
woel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
But can you still get "Last Page Read Sync" between iOS and Paperwhite if you email KF8/AZW3?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know - perhaps best to simply try it and see?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Since we are talking about a epub to azw3 conversion, I have a question regarding the opposite conversion:

Is there a way I can find out whether a book offered on Amazon is AZW3 or mobi? I would like to extract the epubish-content of the book (it it's AZW3) and zip it to epub without converting with calibre
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Download the free sample.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by woel View Post
I find it a bit strange that people keep referring to ePub to mobi conversions - why would I use mobi on a Paperwhite?
One reason is to be able to use JBPatch for its hyphenation patch which only works on mobi/azw... (There is a new plug-in for Calibre that will insert soft hyphenations, though I have not yet investigated it thoroughly)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Download the free sample.
Thanks for the tips.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
This was my first thought as well. Why try to make a device do something it wasn't natively designed to do when there are so many good ePub readers available?
Because, IMHO, the Kindle has the best support, the most stable software, the best cases, and the best screen of all readers at this point in time.

IMHO, of course, again. It doesn't have the most features, true, but apart from Custom Fonts there's not too much I'm missing except when I'd really get down to the nitty gritty geeky details.

I have a Kindle, though I *never* buy from Amazon, and my base format is EPUB. As long as Calibre can convert from that to the format of the reader I want, then I don't really care about that format, or the manufacturer; I only care about the device itself.

Had Calibre not existed, with no other way to convert from ePub to Mobi/AZW, I'd not have had a Kindle.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I *do* buy from Amazon, but I also buy from a lot of other retailers, and when I've got the option I download epub. I own devices that can read epub, mobi and azw3 and calibre makes the process of reading all those formats nearly transparent.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I too buy lots of books from BooksOnBoard, because their prices are often better than Amazon's.

Tags
epub, file formats, kindle paperwhite