Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Are you as well-read as a 10th grader?

Take the Quiz

Quote:
Forty-five US states have adopted the Common Core, a set of standards that spell out what US public school students learn in each grade, from kindergarten to graduation. How would you match up? Test yourself on everything from Ovid to Shakespeare to see how familiar you are with the novels, short stories, plays, and poems that are among the titles that today's 9th and 10th graders may be asked to read.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've read three or so, but I've never heard of most of them. Inevitable, I suppose.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've read some, never heard of a bunch.

Quote:
You're sort of well read

You could probably hold your own in a literary conversation, but perhaps not with today's 15-year-olds.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hate CSM. It takes too long to process the quizes and it kills Internet Explorer most of the time. I restarted it three times and couldn't get through it. I was doing pretty good. I got to about 27 the one time. I had read 25% and heard of all but three.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I dutifully answered all 37 questions, and at the end I got a "results" page that gave me NO results!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've read three or so, but I've never heard of most of them. Inevitable, I suppose.
A lot of it is American literature - not surprisingly, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
My results were the same as Brian's. With an English degree, I'd consider myself well read. It was all those Americana books that did me in on this survey, lol.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Frankly being well-read is more than reading from one's own country. Of course, I'm a little negligent on my own country. I don't believe for one second that I'm well-read, but I think I'm past rare and into the medium range now.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Frankly being well-read is more than reading from one's own country.
Certainly it is. My point was simply that authors who are regarded as "essential reading" in one culture are not necessarily so in another. Eg, I suspect that rather few British people have read Steinbeck, despite his (justifiable) fame in the US. I would (at the risk of modesty) consider myself to be extremely well-read, especially when it comes to the classics, but I must confess that I've never read any of his work.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
They sure have changed what you read in high school. I was in honors and AP English in high school, I received college credit for my English classes in high school. I am not recognizing a good number of the books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly it is. My point was simply that authors who are regarded as "essential reading" in one culture are not necessarily so in another. Eg, I suspect that rather few British people have read Steinbeck, despite his (justifiable) fame in the US. I would (at the risk of modesty) consider myself to be extremely well-read, especially when it comes to the classics, but I must confess that I've never read any of his work.
I'd completely agree. Essential does vary from country to country. That's a lot of what is great about MobileRead. We get recommendations from readers in many different countries and backgrounds. I constantly ask my friends from other countries what they would suggest I read.

I think you need to read Steinbeck. I was amazed by Cannery Row last year. As a Canadian I need to read Mordecai Richler, Margaret Atwood and Robertson Davies, all of whom I haven't read anything by. But then they weren't on our reading lists when I went to school.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think you need to read Steinbeck. I was amazed by Cannery Row last year.
Now on my reading list - thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Perhaps we should all pick out own list of 37 books, rather than someone else's. It's funny not to get "credit" for classics that aren't on this list. No points for Don Quixote! No points for Triant Lo Blanc! :-) At worst, I'm not reading the same books that are being assigned to 10th graders. That doesn't mean I'm less well-read.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Tshoe
Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I had read about half of them, and the other half I had never heard of. I'd like to meet the tenth-grader today who has read all of these...
Tshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Tshoe
Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Perhaps we should all pick out own list of 37 books, rather than someone else's. It's funny not to get "credit" for classics that aren't on this list. No points for Don Quixote! No points for Triant Lo Blanc! :-) At worst, I'm not reading the same books that are being assigned to 10th graders. That doesn't mean I'm less well-read.
Very good point. I think Gone With the Wind and Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice and Anna Karenina should count for something...
Tshoe is offline   Reply With Quote