Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

A few questions I hadn't seen answered, about the Sony Reader...

Having a slow day. Got me thinking of my Reader. Few questions for you all.

1.) Is there any fear of "burn-in" on the E-ink displays? I know there's ghosting or residual images on the display when you switch pages, but actual burn-in? Makes me paranoid to leave the system with a page displayed on it. That said, if the pixels are electromagnetic and are black or white, if you turn the unit "off," can you burn in a blank screen image?

2.) I have a few books in .lit format. I converted them to .html format and then copied and pasted the .html into a .txt file, using the ConvertLIT GUI application. So now I have the book in .txt format. However, it wasn't formatted quite right for the Reader when I put the file on it. So I would have some lines just fine, and other lines with just one or two words on it, and then the next line would be fine. Is there an application that can create a .txt with the correct dimensions for the Reader, so that this doesn't happen?

Thanks again, guys.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
William G - that text break happens when you have "word wrap" on. It may be eliminated if you can turn "word wrap" off. Otherwise, I have had better success pasting the html file from the browser to MS Word and then saving as an RTF
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Thank you. I will definitely try that.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
Thank you. I will definitely try that.
If you're going from LIT to RTF, you might want to try Amber LIT Converter instead of ConvertLIT. It seems to be a bit more polished.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
kcm
kcm began at the beginning.

Quote:
Having a slow day. Got me thinking of my Reader. Few questions for you all.

Is there any fear of "burn-in" on the E-ink displays? I know there's ghosting or residual images on the display when you switch pages, but actual burn-in? Makes me paranoid to leave the system with a page displayed on it. That said, if the pixels are electromagnetic and are black or white, if you turn the unit "off," can you burn in a blank screen image?
I have the same question. Yesterday I could have sworn I saw ghosted text when the Reader was off; today, I have to look so hard to see it that I can't tell whether I'm imagining it or not. Is there any information about this?
kcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
As far as I've seen/read you can't get full-on permanent burn-in. You can get some mild ghosting that takes 1 to 5 page turns to get rid of if you leave an image on the screen too long, depending on how long you leave it on there, but I haven't seen anything permanent. Like you can see a blank spot that is darker than the area around it and you can tell something was there at some point, but a few page turns/refreshes later it is gone. Really hasn't been a problem for me.

For the HTML files, on my reader I've just been opening up the HTML right in Word, you don't have to copy-paste, then just set the page size in Word and save that file as RTF and it reads fine on my reader.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
My experiences have been more or less exactly what LG describes.

The only note I can add is that the Reader turns itself off (blanking the screen) after 60 min of inactivity, which probably helps reduce the initial ghosting when I turn it back on.

I'd also recomend putting your TXT file in Word or WordPad and saving it as an RTF -- the Reader seems to show me the same thing th PC does for RTF's, with smaller pages and no in-line pix, but the word wrapping effects are comparable.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
kcm
kcm began at the beginning.

Great information, thank you.
kcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
WilliamG
Addict

I just tried Amber. It removed all the paragraph spaces, when converted to .rtf or .txt format. Am I missing something? Now my text looks like constant text with no breaks.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
I just tried Amber. It removed all the paragraph spaces, when converted to .rtf or .txt format. Am I missing something? Now my text looks like constant text with no breaks.
William, you might want to try something that I'm having some sucess with. Er.. with which I'm having some success. That's better.

I'm using ConvertLIT to convert my secure lits to unsecure lit (CLIT securename.lit unsecname.lit), then using the Book Designer app to convert the unsecured lits to the libre LRF format.

I prefer my print a little larger so I'm using the options of book style simple, book text 22, book cover 32, paragraph indent 5, marging left 5, margin top 0, page width 600, lines per page 20, and unselecting the option to hyphenate words on break.

The result isn't 110% perfect, but it's very good. I think one of the few things that bothers me is that the quotation marks (") aren't converted to the proper open and closed marks but just stay at the straight up and down " marks. And trust me, if that's the only niggling thing, it's pretty good. Oh, and it doesn't like accented characters so things like cafe with the accented e show up as caf .

I did notice that it had problems reading SOME unsecured .lit files. I may try using another tool to creat .rb files from those exploded .lit oeb files, and then convert the .rb to the libre .lrf.

I've been converting .lits to .imps for years to feed my Gemstar jones. While this solutions isn't as easy as Steve Breeno's GEB Librarian, it is easier than remaking all the files using the Gemstar Publisher.

Last edited by BuddyBoy; 10-20-2006 at 07:13 PM.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
WilliamG
Addict

I've tried everything. For the most part, the text is ok, but there will be random sentences with 3 words on a line, and then the rest of the sentence is inexplicably on the next line.

Any other ideas?

*EDIT*

Didn't see your reply above there.

What is this Book Designer app you are referring to?

Last edited by WilliamG; 10-20-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
I've tried everything. For the most part, the text is ok, but there will be random sentences with 3 words on a line, and then the rest of the sentence is inexplicably on the next line.

Any other ideas?

*EDIT*

Didn't see your reply above there.

What is this Book Designer app you are referring to?
See this thread: Update to Book Designer
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
WilliamG
Addict

Thanks again, BuddyBoy. Won't probably have any time over this weekend to try it, but will report back next week when I have done so.