Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #376
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Is there any app that allows you to access to a HDD connected to a WiFi router?
If that exists then perhaps the lack of SD card slot wouldn't be such a bummer.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #377
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is there any app that allows you to access to a HDD connected to a WiFi router?
If that exists then perhaps the lack of SD card slot wouldn't be such a bummer.
There are several current threads around here about using wifi-enabled portable drives, like the GoFlex and others.

Still, requiring extra gear and networks is requiring extra gear and networks.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #378
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
The inability to read external storage devices had turned me off from the Nexus 7. I finally settled on an Archos 80 G9. It not only has a MicroSD card slot, it also has a full size USB port hidden in it. This is designed to take its USB G3 card holder but other users have reported that it takes even USB powered HDs. Also the proprietary video player is very good, reading all kinds of formats, including MKV and TS.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #379
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
The inability to read external storage devices had turned me off from the Nexus 7. I finally settled on an Archos 80 G9. It not only has a MicroSD card slot, it also has a full size USB port hidden in it. This is designed to take its USB G3 card holder but other users have reported that it takes even USB powered HDs. Also the proprietary video player is very good, reading all kinds of formats, including MKV and TS.
A relatively large external drive defeats the purpose of a small tablet, particularly one as svelte and light as the N7. If I really need some extra storage, I can take my tiny & thin 64GB Wi-Drive. The 500GB GoFlex Satellite drive stays at home.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #380
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
There are several posts on this already. You can connect several devices, including USB sticks, on the USB port using a USB OTG cable.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #381
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There are several posts on this already. You can connect several devices, including USB sticks, on the USB port using a USB OTG cable.
Only by "rooting" the device. I really don't want to have to do that in order to get basic functionality which should be there out of the box.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #382
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
A relatively large external drive defeats the purpose of a small tablet, particularly one as svelte and light as the N7. If I really need some extra storage, I can take my tiny & thin 64GB Wi-Drive. The 500GB GoFlex Satellite drive stays at home.
You are right about it defeating the purpose of a small tablet. For me, it is the "possibility" of attaching one when, if ever, I needed it. The Archos 80 G9 actually comes in 2 versions. One with a 16 GB flash drive and the other with a 250 GB HD. I did not get the one with the HD though it cost only 40 euros more. It would have pushed the weight of the tablet from 450g to over 600g and the reason I did not get an iPad was the size and weight. By the way, I was able to play videos from my old full size SD cards by using a SD card reader plugged into an USB OTG adapter to the microUSB port. A few SD cards are all that I ever need carry around.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #383
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
A relatively large external drive defeats the purpose of a small tablet, particularly one as svelte and light as the N7. If I really need some extra storage, I can take my tiny & thin 64GB Wi-Drive.
That what is so disappointing about the faulty design of the otherwise quite competent N7. Instead of a no external power required postage stamp sized several gram weight 32GB or 64GB SD or microSD card, a clumsy higher powered and exponentially heavier kludge is required to get any decent storage. IMHO, the decision to forgo the much simpler SD expansion that is normal with most Android tablets was a political move to encourage more use of the cloud storage strategy that is the current vogue with Google.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #384
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only by "rooting" the device. I really don't want to have to do that in order to get basic functionality which should be there out of the box.
True, but rooting a nexus device is a 2 minutes process. The longest part is downloading the SDK if you don't have it. I have rooted several GNs and it's a piece of cake.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #385
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, but rooting a nexus device is a 2 minutes process. The longest part is downloading the SDK if you don't have it. I have rooted several GNs and it's a piece of cake.
It's not just a matter of how long it takes or how difficult it is. It's also partly a matter of principle, and partly not wanting to rely on unofficial, unsupported hacks, and partly the risk of have to address interfering with other functions. (For example, if you root your Kindle Fire, Amazon Video stops working.)
Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #386
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It's not just a matter of how long it takes or how difficult it is. It's also partly a matter of principle, and partly not wanting to rely on unofficial, unsupported hacks, and partly the risk of have to address interfering with other functions. (For example, if you root your Kindle Fire, Amazon Video stops working.)
Ah, those who only see problems. You are interfering with nothing, and it is no hack, unsupported or otherwise: rooting simply adds 2 binaries to the system partition, su (/system/bin) and supersu.apk (/system/app) - there is no magic to it, that's all there is. And if you're so concerned about stuff not working when you root, so can always temporarily remove root with the free app "OTA Voodoo rootkeeper". It's an Android device, there is a way - a simple one at that.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #387
ApK

Quote:
Ah, those who only see problems. You are interfering with nothing, and it is no hack, unsupported or otherwise: rooting simply adds 2 binaries to the system partition, su (/system/bin) and supersu.apk (/system/app) - there is no magic to it, that's all there is. And if you're so concerned about stuff not working when you root, so can always temporarily remove root with the free app "OTA Voodoo rootkeeper". It's an Android device, there is a way - a simple one at that.
You say you interfere with nothing, then you point out workarounds for the stuff you interfere with.
I know all the workarounds. I have them on my Fire.

I see problems. You are pretending to be blind to them.
There are hoops to jump through to accomplish anything. Better to not need to.

And it IS a hack by classical definition. Making the system work better by manipulating the internals at a level beyond what a normal user would know.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #388
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I see problems. You are pretending to be blind to them.
I see opportunities to make a good tablet great, not problems. I do not see it as a hack because it is not changing the standard behaviour of the device (as replacing the kernel or a core library would). Adding 2 binaries to the system, in my eyes, is an enhancement (adding a functionality that was not there), while changing none of the existing functionality. The fact that 3rd party apps can detect the presence of root and act differently is beyond the point, as those are 3rd party apps and hence not part of the system as designed - hence the behaviour of the system is unchanged, hence not hacked.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #389
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
I see opportunities to make a good tablet great, not problems. I do not see it as a hack because it is not changing the standard behaviour of the device (as replacing the kernel or a core library would). Adding 2 binaries to the system, in my eyes, is an enhancement (adding a functionality that was not there), while changing none of the existing functionality. The fact that 3rd party apps can detect the presence of root and act differently is beyond the point, as those are 3rd party apps and hence not part of the system as designed - hence the behaviour of the system is unchanged, hence not hacked.
This. I don't see a problem if I can root the tablet a get it work the way I want it. For me it's no different than to removing DRM of a book to read it on device of your choice or change the font type or cover.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #390
ApK

Quote:
The fact that 3rd party apps can detect the presence of root and act differently is beyond the point, as those are 3rd party apps and hence not part of the system as designed - hence the behaviour of the system is unchanged, hence not hacked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
This. I don't see a problem if I can root the tablet a get it work the way I want it. For me it's no different than to removing DRM of a book to read it on device of your choice or change the font type or cover.
The example I gave was a core functionality, not a 3rd party app. As if that made a difference. If an unsupported 'enhancement' has the potential to break supported functionality (third party or not), then it's a double good reason why it's not an appropriate solution for most users, and unless you regression tested the system with the root in place, as consumers should expect vendors to do with supported 'enhancements', then that potential is quite real, and requesting that that enhancement be included in the next rev of the product is the better approach for most people.
But even if it doesn't break anything, the mere fact that it's NOT a supported hack--er--'enhancement' means it is not the best choice for most consumers, and add to that the fact that rooting is still significantly harder than stripping DRM, and some people can't even handle that.

Plus, while hacking--er--implementing unsupported system ehancements--is fine for hackers--er--unofficial ehancement implimentors, requesting that the feature we want be official, and making purchase decisions based on those supported features, helps drive the market in the direction we want it to go, much like buying DRM-free ebooks is a good thing, even if stripping DRM is trivial.

Last edited by ApK; 08-13-2012 at 10:13 PM.