Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #46
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My conclusion is that it doesn't support KF8, or that they found problems and 1.9.1 removed whatever support they had.
I can confirm K4PC 1.9.0 does support KF8 ebooks. I just ran the latest version of DumpMobiHeader.py on one of the ebooks and it ONLY had the Mobi8 part (no mobi 6 or earlier version was included in the book).

So if K4PC 1.9.1 does not support KF8 ebooks properly, then perhaps it was immediately yanked? And if so, I wonder why?

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just updated to v1.9.1 and I can confirm it's still displaying KF8 content. Perhaps they haven't added support for Fixed Layout KF8's yet. I don't have any to test.

I still have to manually place the file in Kindle's Library folder, though. It won't work by double clicking the mobi outside of the app. Not sure what's up with that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #48
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Do KF8 books work on the eink devices yet?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know, really. I still have a K2 and I don't expect to ever have KF8 support, to tell the truth.

There's some KF8 samples floating around that you should be able to sideload on a newer Kindle eink device and tell pretty quickly, though.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
No. Amazon haven't yet released the firmware updates to support KF8. We know that it will be supported on (at least) the KT and KNT.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #51
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just updated to v1.9.1 and I can confirm it's still displaying KF8 content. Perhaps they haven't added support for Fixed Layout KF8's yet. I don't have any to test.

I still have to manually place the file in Kindle's Library folder, though. It won't work by double clicking the mobi outside of the app. Not sure what's up with that.
You can download samples from the KF8 information page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511

It does support fixed-layout (though as I stated before, it won't download them from Archives, so it is kind of pointless). But there seems to be no way to navigate from one 'panel view' to the next: the cursor keys just dismiss panel view and turn the page. And yes, you need to put them in the My Kindle Content folder first.

For best results, you need to change the Words Per Line setting to the maximum.

Does anyone know how to tell if any given title is available in KF8 format? Apart from downloading samples to Fire? I would imagine that everything being submitted to Kindle Store now should have a KF8 edition, if the new kindlegen is used (or if Amazon is converting an ePub).

UPDATE: 'regular' books that are available in KF8 format (such as O'Reilly titles) do get delivered in KF8 format to K4PC. But there are at least a couple of problems right off:
- no 2 column view for KF8
- synching may be problematic: I downloaded the 'same' sample to K4PC and KTouch and went to location '200'. They landed in radically different places, and over the course of a full size ebook, can only diverge more.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-29-2012 at 02:43 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #52
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's the big deal? Just download to your Kindle instead of K4PC and strip the DRM from that.
Maby its a big deal for such folks doesn't have an kindle
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #53
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
There is a new 1.9 version for Kindle for Mac out now. I just got a popup wanting me to upgrade mine, I declined.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
Maby its a big deal for such folks doesn't have an kindle
The person to whom I was replying does have a Kindle .
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #55
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

there are new tools available (v5.0)!

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds, though, as if it's probably best to stick with older versions of K4PC - at least until Calibre understands KF8.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sounds, though, as if it's probably best to stick with older versions of K4PC - at least until Calibre understands KF8.
A valid point to consider. There's going to be some confusion as a result of not realizing someone has a stand-alone KF8 file on their hands.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #58
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A valid point to consider. There's going to be some confusion as a result of not realizing someone has a stand-alone KF8 file on their hands.
I just went to Amazon's site and figured I'd download the K4PC v1.9.x and it downloaded the old version 1.8.3. Tried on another computer and same thing. Any insight on this?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I just went to Amazon's site and figured I'd download the K4PC v1.9.x and it downloaded the old version 1.8.3. Tried on another computer and same thing. Any insight on this?

Carol
Seems pretty random. I just downloaded and installed today on brand-new computer and ended up with v1.8.3. But I've also got v1.9.0 and v1.9.1 on different computers, too. All downloaded from the same page at Amazon. I'm not sure what they've got going on there. Try refreshing the webpage a lot while logging out and back in (that's just a wild-a$$ idea, I have no idea if it will make a difference, but I know I see two completely different styles on Amazon's website depending on what browser/computer I'm using).
Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Set 1.8.3 to auto-update and it will when you run it again. Then when you are using 1.9.1, turn off auto-update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote