Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
After yesterday, I think maybe I should not take this kindle out of the house in the lighted cover. I had been reading on it, then put it in the padded sleeve in my bag (upright). a minute later I pulled it out to see if I'd turned wifi off and it was in the middle of a reboot. So maybe the upright position puts strain on the hinges. I guess I can either use a different cover or take my other Kindle when I go out of the house. I like the cover, and the skin. I will keep using it around the house etc and see if it behaves better.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well there goes my theory. The Kindle is sitting on the shelf next to me with no cover, it was on, but I hadn't touched it in a few minutes, and it just spontaneously re-booted. Do I have a bad Kindle? I got this one last summer. It's only begun having this problem recently.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well there goes my theory. The Kindle is sitting on the shelf next to me with no cover, it was on, but I hadn't touched it in a few minutes, and it just spontaneously re-booted. Do I have a bad Kindle? I got this one last summer. It's only begun having this problem recently.
Anything is possible. If I were you, I'd make sure all of my content was backed up, and try a Factory Reset (which will delete all of your content). Then just add a few books back in and see if it keeps misbehaving. If it's OK for a week or so, I would assume the problem fixed and re-add the rest of your content.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I called Kindle support and the guy told me to leave it out of the lighted case and use it for 2 days, then he will call me back and follow up with me. First he had me do a hard reset. So I'll use it and see how it does.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

update: cs never called back. In the meantime I moved some things out of active archives. That really didn't make a difference. I am still getting random reboots. Yesterday I was reading (wifi off) and it suddenly rebooted. When it came back up, archives were 0. I didn't turn wifi back on til this morning. It is on a shelf next to me. Archives came back up, downloaded my news, and went to sleep. I noticed it rebooted while in sleep mode. No reason.
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #21
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I would definitely call Kindle support and see if they will replace it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ok they are replacing it. I am still not sure if the cover caused the problem or not. It didn't experience any rebooting problems until after I started using it. I guess I can use the cover on my out-of-warranty K3 wifi and see if anything bad happens (eek)
Old 08-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #23
Freddie V
Freddie V began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Kindle 3rd Gen lighted case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Same here. Always folded back and no problems. Pretty sure it's designed for that use.

I did drop my Kindle, in the lighted cover, on it's edge a few months ago. One of the hinge contacts on the cover bent slightly. I gently used some pliers to straighten it (praying that I wouldn't stress the metal to the point of breaking) and haven't had any other problems since.
I bought my first Kindle Keyboards aka 3rd generation in 2008 and have had no issues with the first two and the one I bought 4 years ago for my wife.
She drops hers all the time so the tabs take a beating. A fine pair of needlenose pliers will straighten them just fine. Take the time to clean them with a bit of very fine steel wool when you have the tabs exposed.
I recently acquired my 4th 3rd generation because I want to be able to use the case. I forgot to strap the cover closed and knocked it off a table. The cover opened and the screen took the hit on the corner of a waste basket on the way to the floor before bouncing and landing flat on its back. Unfortunately the LCD could not stand the shock cracked and only the lower 1.5 inches is now readable. I got a factory refurb for $45 CDN on eBay and it has the newer screen technology my wife's has. I went this way because parts were nearly as expensive. I do however have complete spares now except for the LCD.
All my reading of reports on lighted Kindle cases after this model is they are not as good as these cases. The light angle is wrong and shines in the eys of the reader. Many are fashioning hoods over the lights from duct tape!
After market cases with flex rods and clip ons fail to achieve the viewing angle lighting. The Kindle case with the pull out light in the upper right corner is still deemed to be the best. I found this to be true with clip on lights for books. They are not as user friendly as the would have you believe.
I was asked why I didn't get a Fire or one of the more internet friendly models to replace the damaged unit. I find my iPad like a brick at night in bed and with it, a Macbook and an iPhone who needs anything more than this smart functional little e reader to access the net? I know it has internet capability but it sucks.
Clean and align your tabs and all will be good with your light if you keep your battery charged.

P.S. I changed batteries on both our units to higher mAh batteries. Inexpensive, comes with case opening tool, screw driver and instructions.
Easy peasy and worth it.

Last edited by Freddie V; 08-31-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Freddie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #24
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie V View Post
I bought my first Kindle Keyboards aka 3rd generation in 2008 and have had no issues with the first two and the one I bought 4 years ago for my wife.
[...] Unfortunately the LCD could not stand the shock cracked and only the lower 1.5 inches is now readable. I got a factory refurb for $45 CDN on eBay and it has the newer screen technology my wife's has. I went this way because parts were nearly as expensive. I do however have complete spares now except for the LCD.

Hi Freddie, welcome to MR.
The thread you replied to is over four years old, so it would seem not too many people are having issues wth KK lighted cases any more. ;-)

FWIW, mine still works fine, and while I do have a Paperwhite, in many cases I still prefer the KK.

I don't recall Amazon ever refreshing the display in the KK with an updated version. Maybe I missed the news.
Note, there is no LCD in the KK, just an E-ink display module.

Be sure to join in on some of the more recent, active threads!

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 08-31-2016 at 01:36 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lighted cases really are a dead duck. The world has long since moved on to frontlit screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote