Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
JJDRP
Edge User

Reading e-book on the LCD screen

Hello,

I thought that I was able to view an e-book on the LCD screen, however it seems like all books are opening on the reader screen.

Why read books on the LCD you ask? Well sometimes I like reading in the dark. I believe that e-books worked on the LCD screen before, but it is not working anymore. I tried right clicking (holding) the book in the library, but view on LCD is not an option on the pop up menu.

Am I doing something wrong or what am I missing?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
emusan
Edge User

you could always download any other e-reading app and it will open ebooks on the LCD instead of the e-reader...

Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJDRP View Post
Hello,

I thought that I was able to view an e-book on the LCD screen, however it seems like all books are opening on the reader screen.

Why read books on the LCD you ask? Well sometimes I like reading in the dark. I believe that e-books worked on the LCD screen before, but it is not working anymore. I tried right clicking (holding) the book in the library, but view on LCD is not an option on the pop up menu.

Am I doing something wrong or what am I missing?

Thanks
You will need an app that opens epub format, like Aldiko or FBReader. If the book is DRM protected it will only open in Reader or its respective app, like the Nook, Kobo, Sony, app.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Filark
Edge User

If you have, or want to get, books in Kindle format, you can download the free Kindle app from the Amazon Appstore. That is an LCD-side-only reader.

Good luck! Enjoy browsing.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
ivan
Edge User

I use CoolReader http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.45/ on the LCD side for reading in bed - saves all the problems of trying to light the e-ink.

Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
JJDRP
Edge User

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

The books are in the Epub (DRM) format downloaded from the library. I can use the Overdrive app to download a book on the LCD side. Or I can use Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) via the computer to transfer a book that works on the reader side. So currently I have to download two copies of a book if I want to read on both sides.

I am looking for a unified solution. What I am looking for is a way to open the files that I transfered via ADE on the LCD side or open the files I downloaded via the Overdrive app on the reader side.
  • Using the file explorer to add the Epub from Overdrive to the library does not work.
  • Using Txtr to open the file transfered from my computer does not work
  • Could not install Aldiko on the device

I am using the same Adobe ID for all apps.

Thanks

Last edited by JJDRP; 05-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Apparently the new version of Overdrive cannot import/open a book that was not downloaded through Overdrive.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Apparently the new version of Overdrive cannot import/open a book that was not downloaded through Overdrive.
I noticed this, too. Another reason I hate OverDrive.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Filark
Edge User

I did not know this about Overdrive. Hmmmm

Interesting problem, JJDRP. Just the kind of thing I like looking into! Will anyone find a solution? Stay tuned!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
JJDRP
Edge User

Not really a solution to my issue, but if for some reason you are not satisfied with Overdrive, here is a round about way to view DRM Epub files using Txtr on the LCD screen.
It is not better than downloading the book twice, but it is an alternative and it works.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3118962#3118962

Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #11
Filark
Edge User

Thanks for that! I came up with nothing useful. But I always learn something when I go poking around trying to figure something out!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
JJDRP
Edge User

I have tried so many things and searched so much that I am on the brink of insanity. Maybe someone can validate if this works for them:

Based on my test, I do not think that you need to transfer the file from the PC as indicated at the link above.

Simply upload to Txtr.com and download using the Txtr app. The file opens on the LCD screen using the app.

To view the file on the reader screen, browse to the /sdcard/txtr/ folder and add the Epub file to the library. I am not too happy about the uploading step, but only one copy of the file is downloaded to the device. The only negative is that Txtr.com seems a bit slow and it is not very intuitive.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Not really a solution to my issue, but if for some reason you are not satisfied with Overdrive, here is a round about way to view DRM Epub files using Txtr on the LCD screen.
It is not better than downloading the book twice, but it is an alternative and it works.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3118962#3118962
Yeah, but it only works for ebooks with Adobe Digital Editions DRM, and you can easily sideload or download any ebook that uses Adobe DRM onto your eDGe. Amazon does not, or at least not Adobe Digital Editions/Aodbe Reader. And you can also download the Adobe Reader app and use it to rad such ebooks on the LCD screen.

Quote:
I have tried so many things and searched so much that I am on the brink of insanity. Maybe someone can validate if this works for them:

Based on my test, I do not think that you need to transfer the file from the PC as indicated at the link above.

Simply upload to Txtr.com and download using the Txtr app. The file opens on the LCD screen using the app.

To view the file on the reader screen, browse to the /sdcard/txtr/ folder and add the Epub file to the library. I am not too happy about the uploading step, but only one copy of the file is downloaded to the device. The only negative is that Txtr.com seems a bit slow and it is not very intuitive.
You don't have to add an ebook to your library to open it on the reader, but if you want to annotate it or add weblinks to it, then you need to add it to your library first.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
greyhoundmom
Edge User

can I ask a stupid question? How did you download the library books? Mine said it is downloaded, but I can't find it. Any suggestions??

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundmom View Post
can I ask a stupid question? How did you download the library books? Mine said it is downloaded, but I can't find it. Any suggestions??
What Did you use to download it?