Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
is it necessary to properly eject

(k3 , windows 7 )
is it really necessary to properly eject the K via my computer before unplugging the USB cable ,
or is it safe to just pull the plug once all transfers are complete ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never eject ANY writeable medium without using the "Safely Remove Hardware". Sooner or later you'll corrupt the file system if you do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Never eject ANY writeable medium without using the "Safely Remove Hardware". Sooner or later you'll corrupt the file system if you do so.
well yes - i know the theory... but in real life are there folks who just unplug their KIndle & have gotten away with it hundreds of times ?

windows 7 default settings will do immediate write ( never delayed writes) to removable drives AFAIK
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well yes - i know the theory... but in real life are there folks who just unplug their KIndle & have gotten away with it hundreds of times ?

windows 7 default settings will do immediate write ( never delayed writes) to removable drives AFAIK
Certainly you'll get away with it many times, but sooner or later it WILL bite you in the ass. Why not just do it right?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
I'm with HarryT on this one.

Theoreticaly, if nothing is beeing written or read on/from the SD card/removable media, yes, you can unplug it with no harm.

But you never know for sure if something happens
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
as long as you arn't writing to the device you can pull it out and it won't mess it up. Probably not the best idea. If you are reading from the device it may crash your pc. If you are writing to the device it may corrupt part of the filesystem, which could probably be fixed by doing a "factory defaults" but w/e. Why not just eject the thing?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

[QUOTE=Why not just eject the thing?[/QUOTE]

laziness - it's a lot of extra mouse actions & have an RSI problem that's aggravated by mousing. so the less I need to use the mouse, the better.

now if there was a keyboard shortcut equivalent....
i can press a "my computer" button on keyboard for step 1....
Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
now if there was a keyboard shortcut equivalent....
AutoHotKey is your friend
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
It's two clicks - one to left click on the icon in the system tray, second to click on "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive(x" in the popup menu. I appreciate what you're saying about RSI, but it's only two mouse actions.

However, if you're transferring files using My Computer or Windows Explorer, you already have that open, and should be able to use the keyboard to highlight the Kindle drive, then press SHIFT+F10 to pop up the "right click" context menu, then arrow key down to "Eject" or "Safely Remove" and press enter.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
It's two clicks - one to left click on the icon in the system tray, second to click on "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive(x" in the popup menu. I appreciate what you're saying about RSI, but it's only two mouse actions.

not quite - as discussed elsewhere in related threads, you can try that in Windows 7 but it does not actually break the connection i.e. the K3 continues to show it's connected screen, and the K3 drive still appears as an available drive in My computer window.

the only operation that removes it fully - so that you can switch it on & read while it continues to charge - is to go the My computer select drive right click select eject route.

but having how realised that I can launch MY computer with a keyboard button from my multimedia keyboard, & can then navigate to K3 drive with arrow keys within that window it's not so bad
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Windows key + "E" will launch Windows Explorer, from where you can eject the drive.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Windows key + "E" will launch Windows Explorer, from where you can eject the drive.
ok - but can you do the right click - eject bit without a mouse ?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, I don't know. But at least it saves you one mouse click.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
ok - but can you do the right click - eject bit without a mouse ?
Yes - I described that in my post, above:

Quote:
... then press SHIFT+F10 to pop up the "right click" context menu, then arrow key down to "Eject" or "Safely Remove" and press enter.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #15
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Yes - I described that in my post, above:
Pretty much all keyboards have the context menu key now anyway. Totally saves you 1 keystroke instead of doing shift F10
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote