Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
Hear hear.

The tin-foil-hat-wearing crowd seems to ignore motive. Amazon is in the business of making money and they do this by providing an engaging customer experience.

There's no knock at my door of g-men to question me about my highlighted passages, though Amazon might make a book recommendation to me based on what I've read, liked and highlighted.

Face it: most of us are "nobodies" the government and big business is indifferent toward, aside from as a source of revenue. The tin-foil-hat-crowd needs to get over themselves.

/rant
Sounds right to me, but I'll let you know for sure next time I try to fly. I've got a Qur'an on my Kindle!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #77
datura
datura began at the beginning.

Device: k3
(2nd post,,, hello)
this is sdaking ridiculous,,,,

what responsibility does huge biz have these days in respect to our saftey and culture?
when they respond to this in a few days how will they lie and circumvent the issue that other people have access to my data, and do they even make acomidations for us to turn it off?

oh yeah, linux is dead,,, yeah sure whatever,,, heres there secret plan:
get more paid and (c)'ed code for the linux kernel and push the (>)'ed code obsolete and functionally incompatable.

already emailed em,,,
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #78
datura
datura began at the beginning.

Device: k3
(this dude embodies ignorance and misses the point, i hope he got paid (not))

Quote:
Hear hear.

The tin-foil-hat-wearing crowd seems to ignore motive. Amazon is in the business of making money and they do this by providing an engaging customer experience.
//uh,,, ever heard of political donations target did it resulted in a boycott because they endorsed an anti-gay group. what about how mattel made m16 buttstocks a long time ago? they exact better presecptions of our scarcities in order to be better capitalists. Oh and the experimental browser could be alot more "engaging" now that you mention unless by engaging you meant solicted.

There's no knock at my door of g-men to question me about my highlighted passages, though Amazon might make a book recommendation to me based on what I've read, liked and highlighted.
//you totally walked around that one,,, poorly. right, no G-men but middleclass and lower dont understand that when you have a large sucsessfull company money is not just it, you diversiy. what you highlight amazon cares nothing about, duh. and duh again.

Face it: most of us are "nobodies" the government and big business is indifferent toward, aside from as a source of revenue. The tin-foil-hat-crowd needs to get over themselves.
//You write well but poor sense never made much of a point. the nobodies are a source of much money. ohh what about not "most of us" you say? do they use speech programs to hear what they want? Do they use there hardware as it is There hardware they purchased? Do they know about what leaves the hardware device when they use it? You think we should expect our location to be transmitted to amazon? dude i gotta a question for You! Where do you draw the line? go ahead answer me. take a look at global economics and get back to me...
Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #79
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Tinfoil obviously interferes with coherence.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #80
lapples206
lapples206 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs up Newbie but think your security tips are great!

K2i..is that referring to a Kindle 2...and not able to utilize this security on it?

Trying to understand the information listed...once again newbie to Kindle 2.
Any help appreciated.
lapples206
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #81
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapples206 View Post
K2i..is that referring to a Kindle 2...and not able to utilize this security on it?

Trying to understand the information listed...once again newbie to Kindle 2.
Any help appreciated.
lapples206
Yes, a K2 would be a Kindle 2. The i at the end is to identify it as the International Version as opposed to the U.S. domestic Kindle 2. K3 would be the current generation Kindle, and K by itself is Karma!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #82
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
(2nd post,,, hello)
do they even make acomidations for us to turn it off?
errr .... don't buy a Kindle?

Or am I feeding the tinfoil hat trolls?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #83
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
(2nd post,,, hello)
this is sdaking ridiculous,,,,

what responsibility does huge biz have these days in respect to our saftey and culture?
when they respond to this in a few days how will they lie and circumvent the issue that other people have access to my data, and do they even make acomidations for us to turn it off?

oh yeah, linux is dead,,, yeah sure whatever,,, heres there secret plan:
get more paid and (c)'ed code for the linux kernel and push the (>)'ed code obsolete and functionally incompatable.

already emailed em,,,
You can turn off the sharing features (quotes/twitter etc.) via the personal preference choices in the menu. The only way to turn off Amazon's ability to backup your notes and to know which Kindle books you have on your reader is to turn off its wireless or Wi-Fi capabilities and leave them off. In like manner; if you own a Nook you can keep your choices private from B&N by switching to Airplane Mode and keeping it in that mode. For either reader, you would then have to sideload any books you wish to read via the USB connection on your PC or Mac. For a Nook, you could also load them via one of the cards it accepts.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #84
Asterisk411
Asterisk411 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
I just got a Kindle 3, and I dislike the big brother features. How would I be able to turn them off? I was able to jailbreak the kindle but I don't see a similar file format for disabling big brother features. How am I able to do this? or should I just forever leave my wifi off?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #85
Barneyabz
Enthusiast
Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo and Kindle 3
I also just got a Kindle 3. Have jailbroken it and now want to remove the big brother feature. Like post before this one I can't find out how to do it. My understanding of the first post to this messge is that it refers to linux (not an expert by any means). Unfortunately i don't have access to a linux machine at all. Any way of making these changes using windows 7?

Thanks

Barney
Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #86
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyabz View Post
I also just got a Kindle 3. Have jailbroken it and now want to remove the big brother feature. Like post before this one I can't find out how to do it. My understanding of the first post to this messge is that it refers to linux (not an expert by any means). Unfortunately i don't have access to a linux machine at all. Any way of making these changes using windows 7?

Thanks

Barney
Hmm I think you are not getting what to do ... your Kindle runs Linux and those are alterations made to the software on your Kindle.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #87
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Privacy: Keeping Uncle Sam Out of Your Amazon Account
TIME Magazine, Nov. 03, 2010
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...029166,00.html

It's been on a disturbing campaign to force Amazon.com to give it detailed records on which First Amendment–protected products its residents have bought online. Last week, a federal court said no in an important win for online-privacy rights — but more remains to be done.

The court case stems from a war over sales taxes between North Carolina and Amazon. The North Carolina tax department says Amazon failed to collect sales taxes on about 50 million transactions with North Carolinians between 2003 and early 2010. As part of a tax audit, North Carolina asked the e-commerce giant to provide, for that time period, "all information for all sales to customers with a North Carolina shipping address."

Amazon partially complied, turning over a lot of records. . .
. . .
It is good that a federal court slapped down North Carolina last week, but it is not enough. The real problem is that online retailers are assembling so much data about people, without their active consent — and generally without their knowledge. If a bookstore insisted that you provide your name and address every time you bought a book or a magazine with cash, you would no doubt find it odd — and offensive. But that is precisely what online retailers do. As a result, they end up with vast stores of information about you — which the government may be able to get simply by asking for it with a subpoena.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #88
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post

Privacy: Keeping Uncle Sam Out of Your Amazon Account
Fail. This has nothing at all to do with the Kindle or this thread. You can replace Amazon with any other online vendor in your linked article.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #89
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Fail. This has nothing at all to do with the Kindle or this thread. You can replace Amazon with any other online vendor in your linked article.
Of course, North Carolina's partly successful attempt to gain access to all Amazon's regional customer data has absolutely nothing to do with the Amazon Kindle store, its unnecessary aggregation of rather intimate customer data, or the subject of online privacy in general. Talk about cuckoo.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #90
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post
Of course, North Carolina's partly successful attempt to gain access to all Amazon's regional customer data has absolutely nothing to do with the Amazon Kindle store, its unnecessary aggregation of rather intimate customer data, or the subject of online privacy in general. Talk about cuckoo.
If you can see Kindle being mentioned in that article then you're the cuckoo one IMO. The article is about Amazon as an online retailer who has records on what you've bought. That applies to pretty much every single online retailer that operates a large business.

I like how you convienently quoted the sections which allow you to argue about this and not the part that Amazon didn't reveal what each person purchased and actually sued to prevent that disclosure. They complied with the minimum requirement of saying how much somebody spent but not what was purchased. They had to do this by law. The government insisted that they turn over this information. Amazon actually tried to protect your privacy! Oh no. Can't put that bit into your quotes.

Anything to do with the privacy issues that others are complaining about for the Kindle? No.
Does it single out Kindles? No.
Does it even mention eBook readers? No.
Are you trolling? Yes.
Closed Thread