Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Chris P Bacon
Chris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Smile Hello from a cold and foggy UK

Just popped up to say hello.
Have been dithering over whether or not to take the plunge and buy an e-reader for ages.
Received a Sony PRS 505 yesterday as a late present from my wife.
My constant dropping hints must have finally paid off.
I read lots of stuff but mainly British crime fiction.
Am a bit ( a lot actually) of a gadget addict so am looking forward to getting to know the e-reader and Calibre over the coming weeks.
Cheers
Chris
Chris P Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to the forums - I'm sure you'll love the 505
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome to MobileRead. If you're like most of us, you'll find too many books to read on your Sony reader. I mean, we have over one thousand titles for Sony reader which can be downloaded for free. Just check out the Sony books forum. And some of these are mysteries written by British authors -- John Buchan is definitely one of those.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Chris
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"Chris P Bacon".... Too funny.

Welcome aboard, Chris. Congrats on the pressie. I expect you're loving it already.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Chris and welcome to the Forum. 'Cold and foggy UK'. Sounds like things haven't changed

Anyway, enjoy your new toy. I got a 505 a year ago and am addicted to it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
jillam
jillam began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Hello - also in v cold and foggy uk; received my ereader for Christmas and seem to be spending more time reading than ever. Could be the attraction of new gadget or the weather (sitting with cat in front of fire). Got a waterstones voucher with mine and am reading Stephen Booth (8th book in crime series), recommend them if you enjoy that genre. Found this forum when looking for Little Dorrit which I read over Christmas week whilst everyone else ill and therefore not expecting usual meal service (which activity usually occupies most of my time).
jillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
Chris P Bacon
Chris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enoughChris P Bacon will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
John Buchan is a favourite of mine. I also have a Stephen Booth in paper format on my to be read pile. (I think it is Black Dog).
I have already found one of the drawbacks of e reading.
I have just spent £6 on downloading a book which I realised about 3 pages in I have aleady read.Ho hum.
Anyway I have a couple of paper books I got for Christmas that I need to get through before I can apply myself fully to my new toy.
I have to add my agreement that it seems a bit harsh (as my 12 year old son would say) that we are expected to pay the same for an e book as for a paper copy. I am thinking that is you buy the paper copy perhaps you could get some sort of a code to download the e version.
But then again they seem to love selling us things we already own. Just look how many of us buy CDs of albums we owned on vinyl. I always think that if you bought a vinyl copy you should at least get a discount on the CD as you have already bouhht the copyright once.
Right well rant over and I will get back to my reading.
Cheers all
Chris
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P Bacon View Post
Hi,

I have just spent £6 on downloading a book which I realised about 3 pages in I have aleady read.Ho hum.

Chris
To avoid exactly this sort of mistake, I designed a database to track what I've read and also to show my Wish List. And I posted a copy of it here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...360#post324360

Take a look and see if it'll be useful to you
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
If it's a book I've read in paper I don't mind if I then get it as an ebook
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Chris P Bacon

Thanks Cassidym. I'll check it out.