Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #31
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:27 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #32
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
This browser renders pages very fast. Even TUAW.COM, also known as "the most god-awful collection of too-big images and links and references from a billion other hosts" is pretty quick.

I also have too much invested in the Firefox add-ons, but since Firefox is part of the core of this, I wonder if that will come in a later beta.
I was impressed with the rendering speed of Chrome as well. So I made a quick search of how to speed up Firefox and found this: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1299854/posts

After applying this trick Firefox seem to render pages nearly as fast as Chrome.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #33
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #34
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Am I the only one to find it ironic that Taylor quite happily places quotes from AcidZebra in his replies, presumably without prior written consent.
LOL. I don't see him complaining about other search engines or archive.org, so I suspect it is a personal dislike of google. Which is his good right and which again is easy to fix with robots.txt but hey, then he couldn't complain about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
I was impressed with the rendering speed of Chrome as well. So I made a quick search of how to speed up Firefox and found this: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1299854/posts

After applying this trick Firefox seem to render pages nearly as fast as Chrome.
That's a pretty neat trick and works as advertised. Thanks.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-03-2008 at 05:53 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #35
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Well I have an issue with google. I do a search and get the spelling all screwed up. Google then takes it upon itself to ask me in a very patronizing way if what I actually mean was what I actually meant, if you know what I mean. This makes me me feel even more inadequate, and also nervous because I cant figure out how they know what I mean even better than what I do.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #36
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I like the browser, and it's a good second for me. Unfortunately it's the lack of extensions that kills it. I use a number of extensions and Chrome doesn't support any of that functionality.

I use Gmail for most of my work and not having the extensions I need for either appearance or management keeps me away from making it my primary browser.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #37
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
This makes me me feel even more inadequate, and also nervous because I cant figure out how they know what I mean even better than what I do.
Life is tough, Martin
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm running a version of FF3 that's compiled for my AMD processor and it's definitely faster then the generic version. I don't think Chrome will be any faster.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #39
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Am I the only one to find it ironic that Taylor quite happily places quotes from AcidZebra in his replies
Yes, you are.

If you read the forum's terms of service, you'll realize that you and I don't "own" our posts, MR does. Quoting is also well-covered under Fair Use.

You're equating putting up a website and authoring its content to posting a message on someone else's forum, and quoting a forum message as equal to caching an entire site on my own servers, then using that content for my own commercial purposes. That's quite a stretch.

I've made Google the target of this discussion because they are the biggest culprit. They to my knowledge (I might be wrong here) are the only "search engine" to serve complete pages from their own cache, bypassing the content author's intent. They are the only company scanning in complete copyrighted books from libraries, again for their own commercial purposes.

I agree the web needs a search mechanism. But arguing that I have to give up the rights to my own content for "the greater good" is a slippery slope. Google has monetized the entire web for their own enrichment, without authoring any of the content. I never went into business with Google.

Telling me that the web needs search engines, or that no one owns the internet, or that I can put a robots.txt file on my site and trust a web "gentlemens' agreement" - none of that addresses the legality of copying my content without my consent and using it for commercial purposes not authorized by me, the content author.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #40
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Of course I've heard of robots.txt. Intellectual property is not an "opt-in" right (or opt-out, depending on how you view it).
You "opt-in" when you make your content publicly available. If you want to control who sees it, then put controls on your website. This argument has been beaten to death ever since search engines were created (long before Google existed). At this point, it's just a silly waste of time.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #42
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You "opt-in" when you make your content publicly available.
No, I don't.

Authoring a website doesn't create a business partnership with Google, allowing them to host my content on their servers, serve up copies from their cache, and use it for the advertising system.

Quote:
If you want to control who sees it, then put controls on your website.
Copyright exists the moment I author the work. No other action on my part is necessary. "Finders, Keepers" may work on the playground, but it's not yet been written into law.

Quote:
This argument has been beaten to death ever since search engines were created (long before Google existed). At this point, it's just a silly waste of time.
We have a fine tradition of time-wasting silliness here, but this topic doesn't quite fit the mold. No animals, for one thing.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Taylor,

As a matter of interest, do you have caching disabled on your web browser?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #44
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Yes, I do. Or, I clear the complete cache automatically with FF when I close the browser. That isn't relevant, however, since anything my browser caches, it caches for me. I don't turn around and re-serve cached contents to third parties, along with keyword ads.

In other words, I haven't set my browser up as a commercial business, feeding out images and HTML pages I've cached, or sold advertising space to the highest bidder for keywords I've gleaned from my cache.

Equating what Google does to how a browser behaves is a non-starter.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know that I get a lot of sales of my software from Google searches referring people to my web site, so I can't honestly see how it's damaging anyone. If Google brings people to your site, you benefit from that, don't you?

I'm honestly curious about how it's damaging you. Don't you want people to find your web site? Without search engines, how would they do so?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote