Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
5441 Ate My Custom Fonts

Just updated to 5441 from 539 on my KPW1. Before I was able to use custom fonts with the USE-ALT_FONTS empty text file hack (without jailbreaking). Seems they took that away in 5441 because it no longer works.

Any ideas on how I can get custom fonts back without jailbreaking?
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The only way without jailbreaking is to revert to the previous firmware--5.39. Of course if you do that you'll also lose all the new features. I haven't done this myself, but I there are posts here about reverting to previous versions of the firmware.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Reverting back is trivial and I did that but returned to 5441 because of the features. Still miss the fonts though and I'm kinda peeved at Amazon for taking that ability away for apparently no good reason.

Between that, the inane cloud collections and the limited on-device storage ... they give the Japanese 4GB so why not us? ... what the world needs is a better alternative. It's not the Nook and neither is it the Kobo Aura HD which appears to have more problems with hw and sw than it solves.

A reliable 7" open-source Android OS reader with the latest paperwhite e-ink and a micro-SD card would sell a bunch, I would imagine. Since Amazon's bookstore is clearly superior, it's a little mystifying why the Big A doesn't give it to us.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
they give the Japanese 4GB so why not us? ...
Because Amazon sell the Kindle at cost price, and they want to make it as cheap as possible. The reason the Japanese model has 4GB rather than 2 is because Japanese uses a double-byte character set, hence the books are twice as large.

The desire to carry around 1000s of books is not one which the typical consumer shares. Amazon are selling to the mass market, not the fanatic who wants to carry around 10,000 books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
5441 Ate My Custom Fonts

I think the larger storage of the Japanese PW has more to do with the popularity of manga than use of double-byte characters. japanese script uses roughly half as many glyphs for the equivalent sentence, so file sizes are about the same. Manga files can be very large as they are a series of image files.

BTW I was experiencing some odd behavior with 5.4.4: open book, turn page, get application error and have to open again; spurious wireless activity. Have not seen these since the update.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-18-2014 at 06:09 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert