Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Opalstar
Opalstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Hi from London

Hi all,
Thought I had better introduce myself as I have only recently joined this forum and have been lurking till now! New to ereaders, and am quite excited to be soon getting one. I ordered a prs 505 earlier this week, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Shame that it is now seems to be an 'old' model, given the upcoming release of a new reader from sony.
Nevermind, it will still be good to be able to download and read many old favourites, and to hopefully discover new authors too. I shall also enjoy reading and posting in this friendly and helpful forum too!
Opalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Welcome from another 505 owner in (well, working in) London, it's definitely handy when stuck on the tube, no moving to turn pages, etc!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Opalstar--welcome and have fun!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Welcome!

There are a lot of members around based in, or near, London; it may be worth keeping an eye out to see if there is another meet-up towards the end of the year.

You certainly won't be alone with the PRS-505; its a very popular reader.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
How do you decide?

Hi LazyScot--

How do you decide which of your readers to use? Just curious....
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Opalstar and welcome to the Forum. I have a 505 and like it a lot and, although I haven't laid my hands on one yet, don't think the 700 is $100 better than what I've got.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Opalstar & welcome to MobileRead. I wouldn't worry about the 505 being an "old" device. I'm not sure that a touch screen is such a good idea on a electronic reader in the first place. I will admit that the highlighting and note-taking functions are ones that I use a *lot* on my Kindle and I miss them when reading on the 505. Although the built-in front light is cool, the cover with a light available for the 505 makes up for that and it has its own battery rather than drawing from the battery in the reading device. I'd really like to have a LightWedge solution for my Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Hi LazyScot--

I'm not LazyScot, but since I also have multiple devices, I'll give you my perspective. When I buy books from Amazon.com, they can only be read on the Kindle. Since the prices for electronic books tend to be lower at Amazon.com -- and since the store at Amazon is so easy to use -- I tend to buy current releases only from Amazon. When buying from Baen/Webscriptions and Fictionwise, I download both the MobiPocket format and the BBeB/lrf format. I usually look at the book on both devices and then will tend to read on the Kindle unless the formatting on the Sony is significantly better. (I prefer the page-turning buttons on the Kindle to the Sony.)

There are a number of books here at MobileRead that are not available in MobiPocket format. Now, I know I could go find the original source, create a MobiPocket version, and then upload it to share, but sometimes a girl just wants to READ!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
When I buy books from Amazon.com, they can only be read on the Kindle.
There's a way around that they usually works.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Surprisingly easy! The PRS-500 has a battery that doesn't hold charge for too long, so it doesn't get used that much. The iLiad is used when I have docs formatted for larger screens (e.g A4 PDFs), or complex pictures, or I may want to scribble on it (or when I want to play with the software) -- assuming I haven't broken the software of course, and when I'm not travelling (the iLiad battery is ageing and needs recharging too often). For "normal" book reading I tend to use the Kindle or Cybook depending on where I've got the book from.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Opalstar!

I defintiely second what Simond said - they are great for commuting!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome from Cardiff, Opalstar. I use mine while commuting on the train most days.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #12
Opalstar
Opalstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I am still waiting for the postman to deliver my shiny new toy! Hopefully it will arrive next week and then I too can enliven my tedious bus and tube journeys.
The meet up that was mentioned sounds interesting. I shall certainly keep a look out for future information on that, thanks.
Star
Opalstar is offline   Reply With Quote