Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
andy9279
andy9279 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Advice on pulp crime authors to explore...

I've read a lot of works from Weird Tales, but now I'm looking for a place to begin reading the crime pulps. I recently finished Hammett's "Red Harvest" and Chandler's "The Big Sleep," but those are the two big names in crime I know.

I'm not opposed to reading more pulp novels, but I'd really like a place to start for stories. I know there's a lot on Munseys.com and Pulpgen, but I don't know where to start. I've also got collections of Chandler and Hammett stories, have downloaded all the samplers on here I could find, now I'd just like some direction...

Thanks,
Andy
andy9279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Andy, welcome! I recommend that you start with...

The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Lizard-S...k+mask+stories

and

Hard-Boiled Detectives
http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Boiled-De...led+Detectives

These are anthologies of the two most respected crime pulp mags, Black Mask and Dime Detective.

I'm confident that you will find a number of authors whom you will want to read more of.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I second GA Russell.

Also Black mask online has about 500 free pulps.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Exceptionally talented, but generally not well known, pulp writers are Charles Willeford and John McPartland. A good introduction to Willeford is Cockfighter, a ribald and violent novel set in the rural south. McPartland's Tokyo novels, set in post-war occupied Japan, are excellent.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I really enjoyed the various Masters of Noir anthologies from Wonder Publishing. You might also check out the "megapack" collections from Wildside Press in the pulp fiction category; these are public domain collections but they only cost a buck and it's nice to have the stories in one place. Also, the MR library has a lot of pulp fiction anthologies.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
andy9279
andy9279 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Still would love more recommendations anyone has. Thanks for the advice everyone, there's a lot of free stuff out there, just don't know where to start.

Last edited by andy9279; 09-14-2013 at 01:23 AM.
andy9279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Jim Thompson, if you haven't already - just tonight re-reading 'After Dark, My Sweet'.

Seconding the other suggestions already mentioned, along with David Goodis, Donald E. Westlake, Patricia Highsmith, Ed Lacy, Dorothy B. Hughes and John D MacDonald.

Hard Case Crime has old titles from the Pulp era, mixed in with modern takes also.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Cornell Woolrich is one of the greats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Woolrich

Personally, I'd say better than anyone except Hammett (and I'm a big Chandler, so I don't say that lightly).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
http://www.munseys.com/detail/mode/cat/12/Pulp_Fiction
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote