Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
anndelise
anndelise began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
personal iLiad wiki possible?

I am considering purchasing an iLiad. I write a ton of notes throughout the day. I currently use a tablet pc and onenote..and of course lots of paper!!!, and as nice as that is, it's just not mobile enough for me (well except for the papers which I constantly lose). I need something I can pop into my bag and use in stores and such. I also read a lot and am running out of room for holding my library. I've even had to get rid of books.

The iLiad sounds darned near perfect for me. The clincher would be if I were able to create a simple personal wiki in it. Simple RTF and hyperlinking...kinda like bLADE wiki ( http://dale.lane.googlepages.com/home ).

Currently the price is about $200 more than I'm comfy with, but if I were able to organize my notes together, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Anyone have any info on an existing method or plans in progress?
anndelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
This has been discussed somewhere in this forum. You want to avoid a wiki that needs a web server, for performance reasons, but I think there was one based on javascript that was suggested. You'll also need a USB keyboard (and the driver, which is available from the development community elsewhere on these boards) or you'll need to enter your text using the one-line HWR or on-screen keyboard. (The bLADE wiki won't work for you, because it's Windows only, as far as I can tell.)

I've been thinking of the same thing, recently, for much of the same reasons. If I get it working, I'll let you know.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
anndelise
anndelise began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
so the iLiad CAN use a USB keyboard? I'll try looking that up.
I pointed to the bLADE wiki only cuz of how simple the guy had made it and figured that maybe the iLiad could handle something that simple (made specifically for the iLiad).

Thank you for responding. nekokami
I'll keep on eye on this forum in case anyone comes up with something.
anndelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I tried wiki on a stick (stickwiki) but it just hung while opening. It uses javascript and I guess it uses features that the iliad browser does not support. I wonder if it could be simplified to work on the iliad or if the community version of minimo would work with it.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe try the Dillo browser?
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Thanks! I've been wanting an excuse to try out dillo on the iliad. I got closer with stickwiki: it opens but does not work as on my PC. In the mean time I have seen that there are several other implementations of the same idea and I'll try to find time to test each of them out.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
ive been playing with this a bit, and got one working ok.

micki, is a lightweight c program, which ive ported across,
this runs as cgi under a webserver,
fortunately, adam, already has given us a lightweight one with the update busybox!

- so you get a wiki, and also static pages on your webserver for free

there were a couple of bugs(?) with micki
- expecting query as argv, ive fixed to use QUERY_STRING
- expecting stdin to be closed, ive fixed to use CONTENT_LENGTH

micki is very simple (and small,60k stripped ) , and good thing is so is the src base, so could be extended quite easily.
see for details:
http://michai.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/micki

if anyone is interested let me know, i need to sort out the code, and think about contributing back to micki author somehow.

btw, thanks to adam, not only for busybox build, but also instructions on setting up a dev environment - this was my first play with the iLiad and its been fun

Last edited by thetechnobear; 11-29-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: updated status
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I'm interested, once you get it sorted.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
btw, thanks to adam, not only for busybox build, but also instructions on setting up a dev environment - this was my first play with the iLiad and its been fun
I'm glad you found them both useful. Good luck with the wiki.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
sry so long, started a new job which has distracted me!

here it is,
- first you need new busybox see here

- then this zip needs to be unzip and transferred to iLiad

- there is an install.sh to run
(it installs to /mnt/cf/Programs/httpd)

but probably best to read the readme.txt first in case you want to customize the install!

id say the wiki can be used in 2 ways:
a) as originally requested, create content on the iLiad
b) edit content over a network from your PC, and have it available on the go
(and of course combo of a & b)

and as i mentioned before means you also have your own web server too for static content

sry, its not packaged very cleanly, but hopefully should setup ok

any problems, or more info, let me know

btw, adam do you have any info on how to build using ipkg?
Attached Files
File Type: txt readme.txt (986 Bytes, 332 views)
File Type: zip micki.zip (29.0 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by thetechnobear; 12-05-2007 at 05:35 PM.
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote