Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Ectaco and Aluratek firmwares

I have a question for those of you who bought an Aluratek Libre and tried the jetBook firmware on it. Why did you do it? Was there something about the Libre firmware that you found to be inferior?

I don't recall ever seeing anyone report any bugs in the Ectaco firmware. Is it correct to say that there aren't any?

If there is anyone who still has the Libre firmware on his device, I would like to see any reports of bugs.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Well, I haven't changed the firmware, based on the bug reports I've been seeing. But to answer your question as to why I would, for me, it is almost entirely the built in dictionary. Since this reader is to be for my 11 year old son, I really would like that feature for him.

I also think that there are a lot of us tech-minded folks that like to do stuff just because we can/wonder what will happen.

I know that the Jetbook offers more language support than the Libre, and that may also influence some people's decisions.

I'll be watching this thread with interest to read the replies!
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
The last firmware update for ectaco was pretty much the same as what was on my Aluratek libre when I bought it. The only major difference was the dictionary. I was going to flash my libre with the firmware because I thought ectaco might come out with a new DRM firmware but I decided not to. I am glad I did not.
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Slash5
Slash5 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Sony PRS-505
I updated my Libre with the Jetbook firmware as soon as I got it.
As far as I remember, from the box it only supported txt and pdf files. I had to update to get RTF and epub.
Slash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
I updated my Libre with the Jetbook firmware as soon as I got it.
As far as I remember, from the box it only supported txt and pdf files. I had to update to get RTF and epub.
Mine supports PDF (no reflow0 , TXT, FB2, EPUB, MOBI, PRC and RTF straight out of the box
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I have a question for those of you who bought an Aluratek Libre and tried the jetBook firmware on it. Why did you do it? Was there something about the Libre firmware that you found to be inferior?

I don't recall ever seeing anyone report any bugs in the Ectaco firmware. Is it correct to say that there aren't any?

If there is anyone who still has the Libre firmware on his device, I would like to see any reports of bugs.
Quick summary: Libre firmware has PDF reflow and better ePUB support with ADE vs. FBReader. Images and formatting display better. jetBook has dictionaries, search, and more font size options.

There may be a bug with Libre's PDF (Table of Contents), but I've yet to confirm whether it's just my device or not.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Quick summary: Libre firmware has PDF reflow and better ePUB support with ADE vs. FBReader. Images and formatting display better. jetBook has dictionaries, search, and more font size options.
That's great to know, Kralik!

What do you think of the font size options? When the Pocket Pro came out there were a lot of complaints about too few font sizes, and all being either too small or too big. How do you like the Libre font size selection? Is the jetBook selection that much better?

Search sounds like a good idea, but it occurs to me that a pbook doesn't have search either. Do you miss it with your Libre?

Since the Libre doesn't have a dictionary or search, what does it use the alphabet buttons on the right for?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The font selection is OK. The choices are "zoom rates" of 50%, 80%, 100%, 200%, 400%. 100% seems about right, with 80% being a bit on the small size. 50% is super tiny, and 200% is HUGE. 400% gives about 20-40 letters per page (not kidding at all). Example of one screen:

convinced

that he

really

believed in

his heart

that I came

For books other than ePUB, it uses FBReader like the jetBook with the same (or similar) number of font choices. Sizes 12, 16, 18, 20, 24, 32.

The numbers along the side are used for selections throughout the interface. And after a bit of tinkering, I did find a search feature! It's just not there for either ePUB or PDF.

Summary: ePUB and PDF use ADE. No search. Other filetypes use FBReader. Search + more font options.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Example of one screen:

Spoiler:
convinced
that he
really
believed in
his heart
that I came
Hey hey, exercise some discretion! There might be kids on these forums.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Summary: ePUB and PDF use ADE. No search. Other filetypes use FBReader. Search + more font options.
That's all great to know! I think you've got me sold on a Libre. And so far I haven't seen any complaints about Libre having any counterintuitive button pushing or bugs.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Hey hey, exercise some discretion! There might be kids on these forums.
"Mr. Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth,--a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centered upon his own silly self. If anything could have driven me from Gladys, it would have been the thought of such a father-in-law. I am convinced that he really believed in his heart that I came round to the Chestnuts three days a week for the pleasure of his company, and very especially to hear his views upon bimetallism, a subject upon which he was by way of being an authority."

Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
TY Kralik, there is a moral in there somewhere!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
Kralik
Guru

Read the context?

BTW, quote is from the first paragraph of The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
tkkidd
tkkidd began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
i wanted a dictionary support.

i also liked teh big number icon in the menu.

what i do not like. no serif font in jetbook. Come on.
tkkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #15
nickita19
nickita19 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I have a question for those of you who bought an Aluratek Libre and tried the jetBook firmware on it. Why did you do it?
I put the jetBook firmware because of the Russian (cyrillic) fonts.
I asked Aluratek and they told me they had no plans in supporting Cyrillic, which is crazy...
nickita19 is offline   Reply With Quote