Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
potpneherb
potpneherb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Afictionado - first ebook subscription service?

Just found this online,
http://afictionado.mpstechnologies.c...tic/index.htm#
The hompage says that it is going to launch Jan 2012 and will have a a couple of different subscription packages on offer, it gives the user a choice of pdf and epub though mobi is not supported. I assume it will work in much the same way as an ebook lending library does. What do you guys think? How much would you pay for a service like this? If it included new releases and was priced reasonably then this is definately something I'd be interested in, my local library doesn't offer an ebook lending service and I see no point in owning a copy of an ebook after I've read it. Howdo you think Amazon and other ebook purchasing sites will respond? I also read that Amazon is considering a ebook lending service to it's Prime members,
potpneherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I've introduced the topic for discussion before. Mike Shatzkion discussed a possible subscription model HERE.
My thread is HERE.

A lot will depend on price and what pool of books you can subscribe to. That will in turn depend on the publishers. Dunno who is backing this venture, but if they don't have the full support of the publishers, this venture will fail.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Yep, I've said this before, but the success of this model will depend entirely on which publishers opt in. If it's all indie publishers, how much is the service going to be worth to you?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
$0

I like to own my books and I re-read frequently. This would do nothing for me.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
$0

+1

Ditto!!!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
$0

+2.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I love libraries and used them a lot when I was a kid. If this service was sort of like a library, with a good selection, no horrendous wait times, and a reasonable fee, I would be interested. But the selection is key..
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
tealdeer
tealdeer began at the beginning.

Device: MiGear
I almost never re-read books and delete/donate 99% of what I read once I'm done with it. I was quite interested in this website until I read the FAQ:

Quote:
How many ebooks can I borrow at once?
Afictionado offers two levels of membership. If you take advantage of our lowest subscription fees, you can only borrow two ebooks at once. If you pay a little bit more each month, you can borrow up to four ebooks at a time.

How long does an ebook loan last?
All our ebook loans last for two weeks.

What happens when I need to return an ebook?
You don’t need to worry about returning your ebooks to Afictionado. Access to each borrowed ebook will automatically be blocked once the two-week loan period is over.

Can I return ebooks early?
You won’t be able to return ebooks early if you finish them in less than two weeks.
So if I borrow a book and I don't like it I'm stuck with for two weeks? Umm, no thanks.
tealdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdeer View Post
I almost never re-read books and delete/donate 99% of what I read once I'm done with it. I was quite interested in this website until I read the FAQ:

So if I borrow a book and I don't like it I'm stuck with for two weeks? Umm, no thanks.

Well, you can borrow up to four at a time if you pay the primo rate. What do you want, blood?
I can gaurantee you that no matter what the subscription policy would be, someone would be dissatisfied with it.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
$0

+3. I also re-read frequently, so not interested in this.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdeer View Post

That sounds like a very expensive library card...I'd rather just keep my library card and call it a day.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
the only sub service i'd be interested in would be more like an actual mail order book club. pay $x each month and get sent,lets say,any science fiction releases by our publishers each month to keep. or pay $x and pick 5 books of your choosing each month. something like that.

this is a paid, glorified library.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #13
potpneherb
potpneherb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
As I mentioned in the original post, my library doesn't offer an ebook lending service so I would be interested in this but like seajewel said, selection is key. If the publishers don't get on board then I don't think I'll subscribe, but saying that I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay yet either, content is key for me.
potpneherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Well, my public library allows me to borrow up to 99 (!) electronic media at the same time. This service costs me 10 € (13.70 USD)/year.
4 books don't sound very alluring for a commercial subscription service.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Well, my public library allows me to borrow up to 99 (!) electronic media at the same time. This service costs me 10 € (13.70 USD)/year.
4 books don't sound very alluring for a commercial subscription service.
You pay 10E for the library service?

Ours is free for 20 books out at a time, but the selection isn't fantastic. (Well, the selection isn't all I'd like it to be, maybe romance and chic-lit fans would find it perfectly wonderful.)

My guess is this is marketed at casual readers, the sort who haven't figured out that their library likely offers a better service. And for those who don't have a library that offers this at all. The main idea being 4 books on loan is better than none.

I'd also guess that in the next three or so years just about every major library system will offer ebooks.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, lending