Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
kindledude20
kindledude20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Does “7 min left in chapter” learn how fast you read? Or based on the chapter itself?

Having my kindle now for a few days I’m using the bottom left corners feature where it states how many minutes are left to finish the chapter.

I’m wondering if the time is ever adjusted based on my own personal reading speed? Sometimes I’m sitting down with tea in a quiet room reading to knock out a chapter, and other times I’m cooking dinner in between swiping to the next page. I’m wondering if the time ever adjusts or perhaps if it’s just based on the number of words in that particular chapter and the expected reading time is universal for everyone with the same book.

(Still deciding btw as to which option I prefer the most. Minutes left in chapter seems the most motivating to me so far, but can understand the same for how many minutes are left to read in the entire book. Not a fan of the Location 3836 option however; would rather have it blank.)
kindledude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I’m wondering if the time is ever adjusted based on my own personal reading speed?
Yes.

I toggle those options on/off as I'm reading. I check progress then toggle it off, as I prefer nothing showing while I'm reading.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I’m wondering if the time is ever adjusted based on my own personal reading speed?
Generally, reading time is initially calculated during the first few pages of a new book. After that, time displayed is based on the result of that calculation. On rare occasion, the time remaining can become inaccurate or "stuck" at "1 minute remaining."

To remedy the above, or to simply reset/recalculate the time remaining, type: ReadingTimeReset; in the search field of the book and enter. It will display "not found" or something similar but just ignore it. Go back into the book and you will see "Learning reading speed..." at the bottom and it will re-calculate.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Alborghetti
Alborghetti doesn't litterAlborghetti doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 1 and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
to simply reset/recalculate the time remaining, type: ReadingTimeReset; in the search field of the book and enter
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the tip!
Alborghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alborghetti View Post
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the tip!
You're welcome!

-Patricia
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert