Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you post one of these epub files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can you post one of these epub files.
One of mine? Hmm, they are scans that I made of paperbacks I own, so I might get in trouble for that. I could try to recreate the problem with a public domain book...might have time tonight.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No luck so far - I downloaded a public domain book (plain text) from Proj. Gutenberg, converted to .doc and then a filtered web page to approximate my normal post-OCR procedure, brought it into Calibre, stuck a random photo (.jpg) from my hard drive on it as a cover (couldn't d/l one, it wanted to search by ISBN I think), made sure that box was checked (it already was), converted to .epub, and copied it to my phone. It didn't have the problem.

I'll keep trying though, maybe I can figure out something.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:22 AM   #19
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
In his post of 22 June Kovid talks of adding a button to the metadata field to allow one to a the better default cover with the calibre logo plus title and author on request.
I particularly like this if it can be a bulk edit after a cover:false search

As he asks I have opened ticket 5959 for this since I cannot see anyone else has done so

adrian
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #20
wayrad
Fanatic

Kovid, I'm no longer sure my issue (cover image appearing only briefly while book opens, then can't see it again from inside book, using Aldiko on Android device) has anything to do with Calibre. Yesterday I found out how to add Webscriptions as a catalog in Aldiko and downloaded some books directly from the Baen Free Library. They all have the same problem as the books I created. However, books downloaded via the built-in Feedbooks catalog do not have the problem. Perhaps I should repost in the Epub forum to try and find out what is going on here...I'd like my books to work like the Feedbook ones and not the Baen ones if possible.
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Kovid, I'm no longer sure my issue (cover image appearing only briefly while book opens, then can't see it again from inside book, using Aldiko on Android device) has anything to do with Calibre. Yesterday I found out how to add Webscriptions as a catalog in Aldiko and downloaded some books directly from the Baen Free Library. They all have the same problem as the books I created. However, books downloaded via the built-in Feedbooks catalog do not have the problem. Perhaps I should repost in the Epub forum to try and find out what is going on here...I'd like my books to work like the Feedbook ones and not the Baen ones if possible.
Arnold uses Calibre for Webscriptions
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at the epub file in a few other viewers and see if you can replicate the problem on another viewer. I dont have any android devices so I can't test it on aldiko.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #23
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Arnold uses Calibre for Webscriptions
Clearly a man of discerning taste and judgement.

I have tested one Feedbooks epub (Farnol's Black Bartlemy's Treasure) and a Webscriptions book (Schmitz's Agent of Vega) with FBreader for Windows (on WinXP), Maemo (on my n800), and Android (on my Dinc). The cover of the Webscriptions book displays correctly only on the Windows version; the Maemo and Android versions don't show it at all. All three versions will show the Feedbooks cover.

PS. Maemo and Android are both Linux-derived, aren't they?

Last edited by wayrad; 06-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It may just be that the cover is too large. Feedbooks doesn't use an image as a cover, instead it uses html with a small logo.

WHat output profile are you using when converting in calibre?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
It may just be that the cover is too large. Feedbooks doesn't use an image as a cover, instead it uses html with a small logo.

WHat output profile are you using when converting in calibre?
Is that the output profile in the Page Setup part of the conversion settings? I had never looked at it before but it seems to be on "Default Output profile".
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

set it to sony reader (that will ensure the covers are smaller than 600x800)
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
set it to sony reader (that will ensure the covers are smaller than 600x800)
That didn't help, sorry. The cover of the book I tried it on was only 292x475 anyway. Another of the problem books has a 140x223 cover.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In that case I'm out of ideas, sorry.