Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Just finished reading my first ebook on the iPod Touch

I just finished up my first ebook on my iPod Touch and I must say it seemed to work out very well for me. I do eventually want to get an eInk device as soon as something more geared to students and digital textbooks become available at an affordable price but in the meantime I am quite satisfied with the iPod Touch.

I have both Stanza and the Kindle app installed however I really only use the Kindle app if there is something on Amazon I want to purchase. The battery life was not really an issue with me, I turned off the wifi and reduced the screen brightness which saved alot of battery power. I found that reading with a black background and white text was much softer on the eyes which allowed me to spend longer periods of time reading.

I think the best perks about reading on the iPod Touch is being able to read in bed without disturbing my partner. Unfortunatly now I am not getting enough sleep because I am staying up way to late reading but the clock at the top of the screen does a good job helping me keep track lol.

On a side note I am also using ComicZeal which I highly recommend for anyone reading comics. I was never really big on comics but this app got me hooked on reading them.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I've read about 2.5 books so far on my Ipod Touch, and I'm quite pleased with it. I wouldn't want to use it as my main reader, but it's fine for reading for shorter periods or in low light conditions. I also enjoy being able to keep it in my shirt pocket when I'm not using it - can't do that with my Sony!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
I've been reading on my ipod touch using Stanza, and it's good for breaks at work -- I don't want to cart my ebook reader to and from on my bicycle, seeing as I go over a fair few bumps. Plugging in the earphones makes co-workers think I'm watching something, and so then they leave me alone! Whereas the ebook reader makes them come over and ask me about it...
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Owlrigh, do you have a recommendation of which format plays best on Stanza?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I am currently reading my first book on my ipod touch as well. It's alot different than my 505 but amazon had the cheapest price, and I LOVED that they automatically applied a giftcard I forgot I had. I ended up paying only $5 for a book!!! Not sure how often I will read books on my ipod touch, but I at least wanted to try it.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same question to you, Kelly: Which e-book format did you use on Stanza, and how well did it work?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
CarsP1
CarsP1 began at the beginning.

I think it's cool that you can read books on the iPod. I've already read a few pages of my first book but I have problems with the size of the letters, they're too small for my old eyes. I can only read a few pages at once before my eyes start to hurt.
CarsP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
For Stanza, there's really only two choices - eReader and ePUB. I've mostly tested ePUB because Calibre couldn't convert to eReader before.

ePUB is supported well enough, I guess. Table of Contents work, but is displayed in a flat view, iirc (for multi-level ToCs). Stanza, however, purposely doesn't display some styles. Actually, the settings override the styles in the ePUB. For example, I've only gotten text-align:center to work when inside tables.

I did make a purchase of an eReader ebook (fiction) from Fictionwise and I don't really see any difference on how Stanza handles the two.

ePUB would probably be best, though, seeing as it's an open format and is basically a zip file containing html files.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
CarsP1
CarsP1 began at the beginning.

I think it's cool that you can read books on the iPod. I've already read a few pages of my first book but I have problems with the size of the letters, they're too small for my old eyes. I can only read a few pages at once before my eyes start to hurt.
CarsP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I find it helps if you turn the device slightly sideways to reduce glare and eye fatigue.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Same question to you, Kelly: Which e-book format did you use on Stanza, and how well did it work?
My understanding is no matter what format you read with Stanza you basically get a single size font and all formatting is dropped. of course, they could have changed this in more recent versions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #12
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
The book I got yesterday was a Kindle book. But I did also download the Stanza app and will try that next. And then will come B&N ereader. I started my book last night and found that the font wasn't too bad, considering the smaller size. The only (minor) annoyance was that the screen would go dim every few minutes, but after one tap, it would come back. But for $5 for a book I just had to have NOW, I can't really complain too much.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #13
AJW
Compulsive Book Collector
AJW began at the beginning.

Device: COOL-ER, iPhone3G
Stanza handles most formats but as has been said, You get all but the first image taken out (which it uses for the cover) and much of the formatting is removed. I've never found this a problem to reading though.
AJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Owlrigh, do you have a recommendation of which format plays best on Stanza?
I've been using epub on it mostly so far; that's what I convert my books to with calibre. I think if some of the chapters are too big they crash my ipod, though.

I don't know which format is downloading when I do through Fictionwise ... whichever that format is works all right, as well.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
suzangrif
suzangrif began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x51v/EReader
I've been using my touch for 3 months now. I've replaced my axim x51v with it. First thing, though, even though I'm 51, I'm nearsighted and do well with small print. But Stanza will switch fonts and increase font size. I like Stanza because you can download directly from Fictionwise to Stanza. If you like space between paragraphs, you can adjust that. There are so many ways to view your books on it. Also, you can use Kindle. (yuch! only use it for books I can't get elsewhere - in topaz format).

Suzie Griffis
suzangrif is offline   Reply With Quote