Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
InDesign to ePub: Preflight question about "char width"

Hi guys,

I'm working on a 300 pages book that is a disaster in InDesign: the guy who made the print version barely used any style. That means, yes, that I have to do correctly the formatting all over again to get a decent ePub export. I finished that annoying part. Usually, at this point, I use Preflight to spot all the manual overrides in a document. The profile I use is supposed to ignore kerning and tracking overrides. But, I still end up with 971 errors spotted by Preflight, and almost all of them say: "(char width: 97%; tracking: -10)".

I'm using InDesign CS6, by the way. And I'm kind of an InDesign n00b: I usually try to get out of it as quickly as possible and work directly in the ePub.

So my question is: what is this "char width: 97%" thingy? Is there any way for me to remove this for the whole book at once? That way I could get Preflight errors down to under 100 and finally be able to see the real errors I gotta do something about.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Easiest solution (IMHO) is to expert the book (as is) to an ePub and work with the ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

You mean exporting the manual overrides aswell? Usually I export the ePub WITHOUT the manual overrides to get a cleaner ePub, that's why I try to remove all the overrides first. I check them one by one, because sometimes the guy who makes the print version did manual italic formatting, or superscript or things like this and only way I can spot them is Preflight.

I could try to export it with the overrides and see what it looks like.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
amyg
Enthusiast
amyg is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad
How about do a global search/replace for 97% char width. To do that, go to the Find/Change dialog box (Cmd or Ctrl F) and click the icon to the right of the Find Format field. A dialog box will open letting you select the format attributes you are looking for. From the Advanced Character Formats tab, Put 97% in the Horizontal Scale field. Then in the Change Format, make that same attribute 100%. If you want to also remove the tracking, that's on the Basic Character Formats tab. Then click Change All.

Save a copy first just in case.
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyg View Post
How about do a global search/replace for 97% char width. To do that, go to the Find/Change dialog box (Cmd or Ctrl F) and click the icon to the right of the Find Format field. A dialog box will open letting you select the format attributes you are looking for. From the Advanced Character Formats tab, Put 97% in the Horizontal Scale field. Then in the Change Format, make that same attribute 100%. If you want to also remove the tracking, that's on the Basic Character Formats tab. Then click Change All.

Save a copy first just in case.
That's it! Exactly what I was looking for! I just tested this solution and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.
Advert

Tags
cs6, epub export, indesign, preflight