Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
OK, Amazon just ticked me off! :(

First, let me say, I love my Kindle Fire. Now that that is out of the way...

About two months ago I spent a ton of time uploading all my music to the Google Cloud. At the time, they allowed 5 Gig to be uploaded. Any music that had been purchased through Amazon didn't count towards space used. This was great!

I spent several days uploading files, and deciding which ones I could live without to keep it under that 5 Gig limit. However I signed on to my Cloud Player today and got a message stating the new policy is just 250 songs not purchased through Amazon is the max. The free 5 Gig no longer applies.

I have 30 days to either delete music or purchase one of their storage plans. The cost of the storage plan is reasonable, but I feel like I just got the bait and switch. This really ticks me off!

I had planned on buying several new albums as well -- I was so mad I changed my mind. I'm now going to be taking a look at Google for my music needs. That Nexus 7 is also starting to look a little better.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Talk to Amazon support, they might be able to do something for you since you're not happy. I tried Google Music, but I didn't find it as good. It blurs all my uploaded album covers to begin with.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
About two months ago I spent a ton of time uploading all my music to the Google Cloud. At the time, they allowed 5 Gig to be uploaded.
I'm confused. If Google Cloud changed their terms of service why are you mad at Amazon?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Talk to Amazon support, they might be able to do something for you since you're not happy. I tried Google Music, but I didn't find it as good. It blurs all my uploaded album covers to begin with.
It is really worth the $25 yearly fee. The matching service is pretty cool and being able to edit tags now is a nice touch. There is a room for alot of improvement. There is no way of telling what songs are matched and what songs are actually uploaded.

You still get 5 GB of space Free it's just now the Cloud Drive and Cloud Player are two separate services. If you log into your Cloud Drive you will find your music there in a archive folder. You just have to delete the music from the Cloud Player. It's limit to 250 songs. You can no longer play music from the Cloud Drive but you can still store it there so you still have your 5GB just no longer access to the player from it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It is really worth the $25 yearly fee. The matching service is pretty cool and being able to edit tags now is a nice touch. There is a room for alot of improvement. There is no way of telling what songs are matched and what songs are actually uploaded.

You still get 5 GB of space Free it's just now the Cloud Drive and Cloud Player are two separate services. If you log into your Cloud Drive you will find your music there in a archive folder. You just have to delete the music from the Cloud Player. It's limit to 250 songs. You can no longer play music from the Cloud Drive but you can still store it there so you still have your 5GB just no longer access to the player from it.
Definitely. I paid the $25 and am pretty happy now.
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Definitely. I paid the $25 and am pretty happy now.
I did too and got 50GB of Cloud Drive space free as a bonus. Now if it only synced. I was on a free promo so I had a year of unlimited music space so I had no problems paying for another year.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Yes, I did too. I didn't utilize it to the greatest extent, but that's my fault, not Amazon's. It's a good deal; I'm gonna go for it.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I opted to remove my music and move it to Google for a couple of reasons.

1 - I'm not a fan of music streaming. I don't like to use up my data bandwidth [when not at home] for music streaming. I really only used the Cloud Player for storage. I have enough room on the majority of my devices to store the music locally.

2 - I really think that Prime members should not have to pay the $25. It should be included for free or at a greatly reduced price [$5-10/yr]
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I opted to remove my music and move it to Google for a couple of reasons.

1 - I'm not a fan of music streaming. I don't like to use up my data bandwidth [when not at home] for music streaming. I really only used the Cloud Player for storage. I have enough room on the majority of my devices to store the music locally.

2 - I really think that Prime members should not have to pay the $25. It should be included for free or at a greatly reduced price [$5-10/yr]
You don't have to stream music to listen to it. I use the Cloud Player for storage too. I can download my music to my device at anytime using the Amazon MP3 app. You just long press on the song and choose download. You can do this for entire playlists or albums too. You can also download from your PC as well.

I stop streaming when I saw after listening to 4 songs I had used 130MB. I've never used more then 800MB a month now it's way higher with the new matching so no more streaming if I can help it. So I agree on bandwidth problems with streaming if you're on a data plan.

Amazon downloads the prev/next songs as well as the one you are listening to at the same time. If you ever wondered why you don't have buffering problems this is why. It's good for continuous play not so good for data plans.

Plus if you try to upload your music at 128 or 192 bitrate and Amazon now matches it with 256-320 then it changes from a 3-5MB to 7-10MB per song. Not all songs are matched but you have no idea what is matched and what is uploaded.

The Prime thing I think will be added later down the road.

I also discovered while testing this to see where my bandwidth was going if you use the App store and there is an update for the app and you don't upgrade it redownloads itself each time it puts a notification on the notification bar. I prefer an old unbloated version. The new app store app is too big for my phone.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
First, let me say, I love my Kindle Fire. Now that that is out of the way...

About two months ago I spent a ton of time uploading all my music to the Google Cloud. At the time, they allowed 5 Gig to be uploaded. Any music that had been purchased through Amazon didn't count towards space used. This was great!
Ok im confused ...your mad at Amazon because Google cloud changed thier terms? you do know that amazon and google are two different corporations and amazon has no say whatso ever with google cloud. in fact Amazon has thier own cloud services. so there was no Bait & switch on amazon's part but on Googles part. you should be upset with google not amazon.

Here is the linkie to google cloud's support page if that help you better https://developers.google.com/storag...dterms#support good luck in getting anything resolved with google, everything from google is in perpetual beta with little to no support. for example they are still the only app store out ther that refuses to let you delet your apps permanently from your account and have used the same canned reply for the last 3 years on that issue.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Not all songs are matched but you have no idea what is matched and what is uploaded.
You actually can tell. If only some of the tracks for an album have been matched, you'll see that the album's track listing is out of order: the set of matched tracks will show below the set of non-matched ones. You can also click the dropdown menu next to a track name: those which have been matched rather than uploaded will have a "fix incorrect match" option that is greyed-out for non-matches.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
You don't have to stream music to listen to it. I use the Cloud Player for storage too. I can download my music to my device at anytime using the Amazon MP3 app. You just long press on the song and choose download. You can do this for entire playlists or albums too. You can also download from your PC as well.
I think we're saying the same thing. Once you download the music it is stored locally for playback. I have downloaded specific songs while traveling but decided that I prefer to store my whole collection locally on all the devices where I'm able.

Quote:
Plus if you try to upload your music at 128 or 192 bitrate and Amazon now matches it with 256-320 then it changes from a 3-5MB to 7-10MB per song. Not all songs are matched but you have no idea what is matched and what is uploaded.
Amazon did upgrade some of my music but honestly, what I originally uploaded was good enough quality for me.

Quote:
The Prime thing I think will be added later down the road.
Sure hope so! Then I'll come back.

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-21-2012 at 05:09 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
You actually can tell. If only some of the tracks for an album have been matched, you'll see that the album's track listing is out of order: the set of matched tracks will show below the set of non-matched ones. You can also click the dropdown menu next to a track name: those which have been matched rather than uploaded will have a "fix incorrect match" option that is greyed-out for non-matches.
Does this mean I have to renumber them now? This is going suck if they play out of order.

They are still in order so I don't seem to have that problem. *phew* but the grey out really helps me know which is original and which is theirs.

The greyed out trick really does help! K to you!

Last edited by Blossom; 08-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think we're saying the same thing. Once you download the music it is stored locally for playback. I have downloaded specific songs while traveling but decided that I prefer to store my whole collection locally on all the devices where I'm able.
I can't do that, my phone only has so much space but I just upgraded my card to 8GB it was 2GB so I could download my favorite songs. The internal memory is 180MB which sucks. Paying $25 a year to have my music available at my fingers tips is something I don't mine. I have my Phone and Kindle Fire and soon once release will be able to listen through Roku.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I uploaded them the day it was announced and only two of my 1,000+ something songs got matched.