Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
resset
resset began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE TOUCH
FULL PROCESS UNBRICK KINDLE TOUCH

I have found light way to unbrick my kindle touch (on RUSSIAN) but google translator help to you http://beznervov.com/computers/hard/...olnyj-navorot// Hope this will help
resset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by resset View Post
I have found light way to unbrick my kindle touch (on RUSSIAN) but google translator help to you http://beznervov.com/computers/hard/...olnyj-navorot// Hope this will help
The archived bundle of programs at the above link includes the utilities and binary files to do a 5.1 -> 5.0.4 version de-brick.
Includes a sub-directory of "common hacks" - at least some based on members work here.

Claims to be complete, but presumes user has 64bit Windows.
Archive includes the 64bit UsbNet driver but not the 32bit UsbNet driver.
(But other posts here say that Windows can find the correct driver by itself.)

@GM: You might want to add a link in you Kindle-Touch de-bricking section before the above post gets lost.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by resset View Post
I am glad that there is a Russian translation of my work available.

It would be flattering that he copied my stuff and translated it to Russian, except according to his link at the bottom of his web page, he is collecting $0.16USD per day in Google Adsense revenue, and he has other paying links as well. So he is trying to get paid for my work, and it looks like he is keeping all the credit for my work to himself. I see no credit (or even a hint) of my name, or back-links to my pages from which he copied the information that he is getting paid for.

Here is my Select Boot thread from which he copied my screen capture images, my custom MfgTool profiles, and my custom u-boot images: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

He copied my screen snapshots that I took from my own computer screen, and which I modified (with the "tear lines") to fit the mobileread page width.

He copied my MfgTool profiles that consumed a significant amount of my time while studying the freescale reference manuals followed by a lot of experimentation and testing to get them working.

He copied my custom u-boot images that I compiled from source code, which I modified myself. That took a lot of research and testing too.

If you download his "all inclusive" RAR file, you will see that he copied other files that I put together.

In my current situation, I view his use of my information to collect money for himself (with no credit or references to my work that he copied) rather distasteful and dishonest.

Could somebody please ask him to provide a link to my original web pages that he copied his information and files from, and to give me a little credit (information, not money).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-16-2012 at 10:04 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@geekmaster: I agree that not mentioning or giving credits to the original sources is a bad habit. It seems to be particularly prevalent in Russia - I have seen many of my hacks repackaged and for download, without mention of the original sources, and sometimes even with the README altered or removed.

However, the link at the bottom is nothing that I would trust. I have checked a few of my own sites, and the results are total bullshit. It claims that I'm making money with Adsense, even though that's definitely not true.

Here's another one to try: http://mysitecost.ru/ucla.edu
So UCLA is making over $1,000 in ad revenue per day? Don't think so.
As said, it's some weird BS.

Update: Another fun "fact": OpenBSD.net is only worth $5

Last edited by ixtab; 05-16-2012 at 10:17 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
There will always be bastards like this guy. You can't avoid and they give a shit on telling where they have stolen their stuff.
Try to ignore and hope he is changing something, so that it will not work finally.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@geekmaster: I agree that not mentioning or giving credits to the original sources is a bad habit. It seems to be particularly prevalent in Russia - I have seen many of my hacks repackaged and for download, without mention of the original sources, and sometimes even with the README altered or removed.

However, the link at the bottom is nothing that I would trust. I have checked a few of my own sites, and the results are total bullshit. It claims that I'm making money with Adsense, even though that's definitely not true.

Here's another one to try: http://mysitecost.ru/ucla.edu
So UCLA is making over $1,000 in ad revenue per day? Don't think so.
As said, it's some weird BS.
How much money he makes is not the issue. The issue is that he is TRYING to make money by putting my information on a page that contains revenue-generating ads, without giving me any credit for my hard work.

Other than huge expenses from my recent tragedy, money is not a problem for me at this time. However, I like getting credit for my work in the form of compliments (my only compensation for all the hard work and effort that I have given freely to the benefit of many). I have personal sensitivities from my childhood that I was never able to overcome despite large amounts of time with religious, professional, and personal counselling services over the years. Those sensitivities FORCE me to defend myself and post some highlights of my life to justify myself (the details of which others around here seem to find beyond belief, but true just the same). I find the snide and snarky remarks aimed at me (perhaps in jealousy) to be very hard to withstand, even in the best of times. I think I will follow the advice given in PMs from those I trust, which is to go away for a couple of months until I can deal with this without getting so upset by unpleasant remarks from others. This place has been a pleasant creative diversion from my tragedy, but I will have to find another outlet for my creative forces for awhile. If I still find kindles to be interesting for me after that break, I will be back.

Sigh...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-16-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
How much money he makes is not the issue. The issue is that he is TRYING to make money by putting my information on a page that contains revenue-generating ads, without giving me any credit for my hard work.
I did not see that intent in my reading of the linked-to page.
But you may be correct.

On the other hand...
You are posting your work on a site that contains revenue-generating ads.

Hmm... Perhaps you have your AdBlock+ enabled for mobileread.com, and haven't seen the ads on this site.

I do follow your sentiments, plagiarism is always irritating when found.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I did not see that intent in my reading of the linked-to page.
But you may be correct.

On the other hand...
You are posting your work on a site that contains revenue-generating ads.

Hmm... Perhaps you have your AdBlock+ enabled for mobileread.com, and haven't seen the ads on this site.

I do follow your sentiments, plagiarism is always irritating when found.
I do not remember seeing any AdBlock+ option to select, but I have never seen any ads here. I suppose I should be turn it on if I can find it to see what you are talking about.

But at least here, I get credit for what I post. Mobileread does not try to take full credit for my work.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmomr View Post
I tried to flash u-boot with
"fastboot flash bootloader main.bin", where main.bin is grabbed from kindleselectboot tool, no luck

"idme -d --bootmode main; sync" also didn't help, after issuing the command I further confirmed it has been set to main by "idme ?", but the kindle still can not come up after reboot

Any further suggestion?
Have you made any progress on this? When you flash a partition, you should also flash a kernel from the same version.

If you give the wrong commands to fastboot, you may need to use the serial port to debrick your kindle. There are instructions for that provide in other threads, if you need them.

Please give us a debricking progress report with enough details so that we can help you.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I do not remember seeing any AdBlock+ option to select, but I have never seen any ads here. I suppose I should be turn it on if I can find it to see what you are talking about.
Perhaps I made a mistake, I thought you where using Firefox.

AdBlock+ is a very popular add-in for Firefox but you would know if you added it, it is a manually added option.

Hmm...
A quick test - disable AdBlock+ for mobileread.com ...
Sure enough, the recent site upgrade dropped the advertisement spaces at thread start and between posts.

Last edited by knc1; 05-16-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Perhaps I made a mistake, I thought you where using Firefox.

AdBlock+ is a very popular add-in for Firefox but you would know if you added it, it is a manually added option.

Hmm...
A quick test - disable AdBlock+ for mobileread.com ...
Sure enough, the recent site upgrade dropped the advertisement spaces at thread start and between posts.
I am using Google Chrome. I just went through the settings, and the only filter set is for "Malware Protection", which gives me a big red "are you sure?" warning before letting me enter websites in its "potentially dangerous" list.

I have never noticed any ads on mobileread, but I have only been here since November. Anyway, ads do not bother me, but it does bother me when somebody plagiarizes my work taking all the credit (my only compensation here) for themselves.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I am using Google Chrome. I just went through the settings, and the only filter set is for "Malware Protection", which gives me a big red "are you sure?" warning before letting me enter websites in its "potentially dangerous" list.

I have never noticed any ads on mobileread, but I have only been here since November. Anyway, ads do not bother me, but it does bother me when somebody plagiarizes my work taking all the credit (my only compensation here) for themselves.
OK - I see what has happened to the site ...

Prior to the recent upgrade ...

View the site without logging in, just as if you where not a member;

See the top box that claims how you could view the site without ads by becoming a member and logging in?
Notice the advertisements scatter through the posts of a thread?

Now login ...
And all of that is now gone, just like that message box said it would be.

Only before the site upgrade, that was not working for Firefox/Linux/32bit.
Which is why I had to use AdBlock+ on the site.

I suppose that GM never visits this site without logging in, perhaps his browser does an auto-login for him.

@GM : Log out, then surf site - then you can see the site support ads.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
geekmaster

Yes, my browser does autologin. I signed up immediately the first time I came here, which explains why I did not see the ads.

As I mentioned, I have no complaint about ads if they are not too distracting. That was not the issue in the "Russian translation" of my work that failed to mention me.

That brings back pain from when my project was featured on the cover of Scientific American, but my boss took all the credit and my name was not even mentioned, even though the work and innovations were almost entirely my own.

Just because people find my life experience incredible and beyond belief in their limited world view, does not make it untrue, and I dislike being called a liar as has occurred recently. I have been around a long time and I have done a lot of things outside the bounds of what most people consider possible. Doing what others called impossible was always a challenge and an inspiration for me, and I got a lot of personal satisfaction proving repeatedly that few things are truly impossible if you believe strongly that you can do anything that you set your mind to.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #29
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:

But at least here, I get credit for what I post. Mobileread does not try to take full credit for my work.
I wonder if you could gpl your work or something, maybe a line in your signture.

Last edited by aditya3098; 05-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
I wonder if you could gpl your work or something, maybe a line in your signture.
It is already "or somthing" - -
GM adopted the MIT License for his work recently.
Although it is possible you are looking at something from prior to when he started including the license statement.