Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
PW: jailbreak and special offers

I applied the jailbreak to my Paperwhite. I'd paid Amazon the extra $20 to remove special offers. When I turned on the wifi to download a book, all of a sudden I've got the special offers. I've been on the phone with an Amazon Kindle representative for about half an hour - they agree that I shouldn't get the special offers, but nothing we do is getting rid of them. I'm applying the system update to 5.3.3 now, in hope that that will get rid of the offers.

Has anyone else had problems with a jailbroken PW receiving the special offers when they shouldn't? Could the jailbreak have had something to do with this?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I haven't gotten the special offers back since I paid to get them off.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If there is an update needed to turn off the ads, then it's very possible the jailbreak is interfering.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If there is an update needed to turn off the ads, then it's very possible the jailbreak is interfering.
Really Jon? ...this opinion is obviously based upon your intimate knowledge of Kindles and their programming?

@Becca - Why don't you post in the Developer's Corner forum to see what the real experts have to say?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
It is the jailbreak that prevents removing of SO. Check out this post and the following posts in that thread ( or the whole thread if you like). After the SO are gone, you should be able to re-jailbreak.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, yes, I should have posted this in the Developer's forum. Sorry.

After 45 minutes on the phone and a call-back half an hour later when I'd updated the system, the CS gentleman decided to try something: he turned on special offers,and then turned them off again. Like magic, they were gone... which indicates that the problem was on their side, not mine (thank heavens. This is the first time I've ever jailbroken a kindle, and if that had been the problem, I would have been very upset).

As part of our troubleshooting, I did have to update to 5.3.3... that shouldnt' mess wth the jailbreak and collection manager, should it?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Jailbreak surely can't prevent SO from being disabled. Remember, Amazon isn't a warden, so it doesn't watch for any your action, and jailbreak doesn't have anything common with real jail, so there will be no punishment for applying it. OTOH, speaking about technical side, jailbreak just doesn't touch anything related to SO disabling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
the CS gentleman decided to try something: he turned on special offers,and then turned them off again.
After paying, you can do it by yourself in any time at Amazon's "Manage Your Kindle" page.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
As part of our troubleshooting, I did have to update to 5.3.3... that shouldnt' mess wth the jailbreak and collection manager, should it?
Yes and no. Your PW is still jailbroke, and all your collections are still the same (even nested ones). For 5.3.3 you need the newest CM, or it won't run. Think you have the newest one already. The Kindlet Jailbreak got lost in when you updated to 5.3.3 - needs reinstalled. Then CM should work - if it still doesn't open, the developer certificates need installed. Not 100% sure if they get wiped. So just install Kindlet Jailbreak, try CM, if it works yay, if not, dev certs. UPDATE: The Developer Certificates are indeed needed, see here for more details ( thank you, ixtab, for clearing that up).

EDIT: I know when I upgraded mine to 5.3.3 I noticed the *** Jailbreak *** notice from the JB bridge. Not sure why it would not have worked on BeccaPrice's update to 5.3.3

EDIT2: When I updated, I downloaded the update file from Amazon, put on PW, and chose "update Kindle" from menu. Is this important to trigger the JB bridge, rather than just restarting and or letting Kindle download over wifi?

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-25-2013 at 05:05 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
After paying, you can do it by yourself in any time at Amazon's "Manage Your Kindle" page.
I tried that first thing, and it didn't do any good.

Andrew, the CS agent my problem was escallated to, had to do it from his end before it worked.