Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #541
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Q: What do you mean by: "s.o." ?
I'm guessing, someone.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #542
flyingfoxlee
flyingfoxlee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
The installation was successful, I wanted to set the margins of the reading area. Currently I think the margins are too wide, any tip? Thank you for your work.
flyingfoxlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #543
Mterry
Enthusiast
Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS T1; Kindle T3G
Sorry, for my bad English, I am Itaian. I answered yesterday, but maybe something got wrong.
Quote:
Q: The "last one" what? Question is ambiguous in its context.
Q: What do you mean by: "s.o." ?
1. the last one is the KT 5.3.2.1
2. somebody (maybe it is correct anybody)
thank you to ixtab I will follow his instructions.
Bye
Mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #544
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mterry View Post
1. the last one is the KT 5.3.2.1
2. somebody (maybe it is correct anybody)
thank you to ixtab I will follow his instructions.
Bye
Ah, thank you, now I know how to answer your questions.

The complexity of applying the jailbreak varies with Amazon's attempts to prevent it.
So they are just trying harder with 5.3.2.1 to keep the user from having control of the device they purchased.

Someone <- got it!
All of our authors attempt to make their instructions as simple and easy to understand as they can.
But they are all individuals, so you will find individual variations since we do not have a staff of editors to make everything read the same.

Perhaps one of our Italian speaking members could do a translation of the things which on-line translators can't do properly.
Just a thought on my part - not a promise, I don't read/write Italian myself.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #545
petrovski
petrovski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Should I see a small text stating that my Kindle has been jailbroken during the boot-up process?

The reason for my asking is that I seem to remember that I used to get a small text like that but don't anymore. And now my screensaver hack isn't working. I don't know if the two issues are related but I'm kind of grasping at straws to get the screensaver hack to work again.
petrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #546
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovski View Post
Should I see a small text stating that my Kindle has been jailbroken during the boot-up process?

The reason for my asking is that I seem to remember that I used to get a small text like that but don't anymore. And now my screensaver hack isn't working. I don't know if the two issues are related but I'm kind of grasping at straws to get the screensaver hack to work again.
What all has been done between when it worked and now?
Either by yourself or by Amazon OTA updates?

Last edited by knc1; 07-02-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #547
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@petrovski: Nope, that's only the first boot after a >= 5.3 update (ie. that's the bridge telling you it's doing its job).

As for the screensavers issue, I'm going to need more details than just "doesn't work" .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #548
petrovski

Haha, thanks for the quick response from the both of you!

The story is that I was using my Paperwhite with the jailbreak and screensaver hack just fine for a month or so. Then, when I tried to open a book one day, the book crashed, I got an error message—that I unfortunately can't recall—and the custom screensavers were gone. I was stuck with the original screensaver (no ads). The one weird thing that kept on happening was that every time i restarted the Kindle and tried to open a book, the book would initially crash with an error message. I would then proceed to reopen the book, no crash but still stuck with standard screensavers.

I tried the following:

1 Reinstalling the hack and python.

2 Factory reset and downgrading to 5.3.1 and then reinstalling the jailbreak + screensaver hack.

Nothing worked.

The thing is that I can jailbreak and install the hack just fine, no errors or anything, but I still just get the standard screensavers — it's like it isn't running. Sorry I can't supply anything more concrete like error messages or so...
Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #549
petrovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@petrovski: Nope, that's only the first boot after a >= 5.3 update (ie. that's the bridge telling you it's doing its job).

As for the screensavers issue, I'm going to need more details than just "doesn't work" .
Ok, this is very strange. I've been trying to fix the screensaver hack for months now through a series of resets and re-installations (of the hack and the jailbreak) with no result — no error messages but also no custom screensavers.

All of the sudden, it works... When i restarted the Kindle, I got this message [Image deleted - MODERATOR] (S checking screensavers...) and to my surprise, I got the standard screensaver that comes with the screensaver hack. Even the cover mode works now.

BUT when I restarted the device again—this time with the USB cable plugged in during restart— it doesn't work again. Restart without cable, it works again!

Only thing i did different this time was that I installed usbnet, typed in ";un" in the search field. I then got lost in the instructions to use usbnet and decided to restart the device and forget about it. And that was when I finally saw the before mentioned boot-up screen.

Last edited by petrovski; 07-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #550
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@petrovski: Don't boot with the Kindle plugged in. That's a known issue with USBnet, and it leads to all kinds of weird errors (although breaking the screensavers, that's a new one).

Just for my sanity: that's not a Special Offers device is it?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #551
petrovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@petrovski: Don't boot with the Kindle plugged in. That's a known issue with USBnet, and it leads to all kinds of weird errors (although breaking the screensavers, that's a new one).

Just for my sanity: that's not a Special Offers device is it?
No it's not

I've tried booting without the cable before where it didn't work... and now it does. But I'm not going to take up any more of your time now that I have it working and don't have any concrete error messages to show you. But thanks a lot for your time anyway and for the screensaver hack!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #552
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovski View Post
No it's not

I've tried booting without the cable before where it didn't work... and now it does. But I'm not going to take up any more of your time now that I have it working and don't have any concrete error messages to show you. But thanks a lot for your time anyway and for the screensaver hack!
Please take enough time to post what firmware version your Kindle is running **now**.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #553
petrovski

Quote:
Please take enough time to post what firmware version your Kindle is running **now**.
It's running 5.3.5.

If you want any more info, I'll be more than glad to supply it.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #554
Old Techie
Old Techie began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader
Kindle PW and "Collections" grayed out

I am obviously not holding my mouth right.

Got a new Paperwhite for the wife, registered it, imported all her books into Calibre from her K3, jailbroke the PW, added the necessary other patches, the Collections Manager, I believe I patched the collections manager in Calibre. Uploaded the books to the PW, ran the collections manager to create collections, and bless my soul, even after several restarts, power offs and reading the knuckle bones, I can't sort by collections.

Assistance, mes amis, por favor. Danke!
Old Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #555
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Techie View Post
I am obviously not holding my mouth right.

Got a new Paperwhite for the wife, registered it, imported all her books into Calibre from her K3, jailbroke the PW, added the necessary other patches, the Collections Manager, I believe I patched the collections manager in Calibre. Uploaded the books to the PW, ran the collections manager to create collections, and bless my soul, even after several restarts, power offs and reading the knuckle bones, I can't sort by collections.

Assistance, mes amis, por favor. Danke!
You might be better off to post this in the Collection Manager thread...I'm sure someone there will be able to help you sort this out. Don't forget to post ALL of your pertinent information - device, firmware, etc.
Good Luck!

Last edited by GoSharks; 07-06-2013 at 05:57 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote