Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
MusingCoyote
MusingCoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Never got charged for Books?

So I finally got around to buying a few new books with my Nook, after rereading the books that I'd been reading when my old ereader broke a while back. I don't keep a lot of money on my card at once, just in case, so when I went to go checkk my balance, it was pretty obvious that I hadn't been charged for at least one (it later became apparent that I was only charged for the first one, it looks like.) and I never got a receipt for the last one.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

B&N technical support machine(because I can't reach an actual person, and I don't fancy waiting on the phone longer that 90min anyway) says that there's an unusual amount of traffic because of the popularity of the NC, is it possible it's just taking THAT long to charge me for the books(I bought them several days ago), or is it maybe a glitch with rooting my nook?
I know I've read at least one or two posts from B&N employees/former B&N employees, and I figure maybe someone here will at least know something, and it's probably more productive than sitting on the phone, waiting for a customer service rep that may or may not exist.
MusingCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
A couple of other people on the B&N discussion boards have been experiencing this. And some people have been getting the opposite problem, of being retroactively charged for the promotional free books.

I wonder if they changed their system in some way. I used to get email receipts for all my $0.00 books, but now they no longer show up and some recently-joined posters have mentioned that they never get receipts for free books but always for paid.

Well, whatever's happening, I hope they get it fixed soon.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
I suspect something is wrong behind the scenes. I'm on the phone right now because my card was supposedly declined for no reason. I'm being told my card should go through, to wait, and check with my bank to see if they approved it so BN can process it. It was for the $0.99 Lilith Saintcrow book.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
MusingCoyote

What I'm getting from that thread, is that their system is experiencing more traffic than it can take, and is ending up screwing up the transactions. (Honestly, if they didn't redo their system in anticipation of a massive increase in downloads, I'm not surprised. I don't know a lot about coding, but I've definately been on sites that suddenly got more traffic than the site was built for, and the results were....interesting. massive lag and occasional unannounced downtime.)

I suppose this means I should transfer more money onto my card to be sure that it'll go through when they finally get around to charging me some time this year, hopefully. XP
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
goose61282
goose61282 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I just had the exact same problem with the "declined" transaction. That wasn't so bad because sometimes stuff happens. I filled out the online form and three days later get an email telling me to check the FAQ and call their number if I have any questions.

Seriously.

So after waiting on hold for 45 minutes I came here to complain about it. It's not a huge inconvenience because I can just buy my books at the sony store, but I think people who are thinking of getting a NOOKcolor should know that tech support will not be available if they need it.
goose61282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Their email support is really intended to handle FAQ stuff, and not much more. Their attitude seems to be that if you have a real problem, they'd rather you talk to a person. Your experience is certainly frustrating, and not good, but I suspect they're somewhat buried right now with a much, much better response to the Nook Color than they expected (they apparently sold several times as many as anticipated), and the big spike in ebook sales crashed their web site at least twice. Hopefully, they get a handle on it soon.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I got a couple gift certificates for Christmas, and I bought a bunch of books with them a week or two ago. The website still lists the full balance on the cards. Just now I finally got a bunch of emails telling me I can download the books. I just checked the balance on my gift cards, and it's still unchanged. I suppose I'd better check my credit card balance and see if it's been charged.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
I'm one of those who got charged for "free" Kaplan books. It took them a week and then they hit me for $80. Some they charged for, and some they didn't. See post elsewhere on mobileread.com:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...63#post1327363
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
PomMom12
NOOKcolor Addict
PomMom12 began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor, iPhone 4
I have the issue of it taking a few days for the charges to play catch up with the gift cards I received for Christmas.
PomMom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
It's been 6 days and I still can't download the book. When I get to work today I'm going to call support and get some answers. My bank still says it's a pending charge. Considering I've now purchased 2 books since the 5th and they've gone just fine, I don't see what the problem is.

For the record, I was trying to buy the $0.99 Lilith Saintcrow featured book of the month. We've downloaded it successfully onto several demo units, but those are handled differently (as if lending a book rather than buying it).
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
MusingCoyote

what irks me is that B&N has everyone's email...what's so hard about sending out an automated message saying something like "we know it's broken, we're working on it, please bear with us, you'll be charged soon/refunded soon." ?
I still have not been charged for any of my ebooks, barring the first one. they need to hire more tech support people, fix their site, and get this done already. it's making me twitchy to have a 20+ dollar charge floating about.