Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
kymmy2481
kymmy2481 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook Color Tablet, iPad 3
PDF output cover problem

Good day!

I seem to be having a problem whenever I try to convert various ebook formats to pdf and I hope you'd be able to help me.

For the longest time, calibre's pdf output has stretched covers that fills the whole page so I was really happy to find out that you were able to fix that problem with the 0.8.57 release. I've recently upgraded to Calibre 0.8.65 and I tried converting some of my epub and mobi ebooks to pdf but the resulting covers of the pdf fills the whole length of the page. It followed the specified left and right margin that I've input but not the top and bottom ones.

I would like the pdf covers to be smack dab in the center of the page, not stretched out in any direction. I tried tweaking the settings but I've gotten nowhere, so far. Am I missing something here, or is this really how the pdf output covers are supposed to be generated in this release?
kymmy2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the preserve cover aspect ratio conversion option under PDF output.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
kymmy2481

Thank you for the immediate response.

I already have the preserve cover aspect ratio option checked, though, but it still shows the cover stretched on the top and bottom while it follows the margin at left and right (margins specified at 90pts for the top, bottom, left and right). Any other preference tweaks that I might try?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cover will always touch one set of borders. Either top/bottom or left/right depending on the aspect ratio of the cover image.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
kymmy2481

I see. So there's no way to place the cover just right in the middle, then? Just like in the 0.8.57 release?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not really good at this kinda stuff so it takes me a while to understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.8.57.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	91213   Click image for larger version

Name:	0.8.65.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	91214  
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah, the cover fills the available area either in one dimension or both (depending on the aspect ratio option).
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
kymmy2481

Oh, ok. Guess I'll still use the 0.8.57 release since it generates the pdf covers I want.

Thank you so much for the answers.