Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm a big Kindle fan, but I'm kind of interested in the NC as well, mainly as an Android tablet to replace the iPad (too $$$ for me). I'm wondering if a rooted NC works better at displaying PDFs than when not rooted?
Many are disappointed with the way the stock NC handles PDFs. Those are the folks who are interested in rooting for a better PDF reader (ezPDF Reader) and web browser.

There are some threads/posts where people indicate there dissatisfaction. This is particularly voiced on the B&N site.

Last edited by SCION; 01-02-2011 at 10:20 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #32
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks, that's what I figured was probably the case. I didn't mean to post a PDF question in a YouTube thread though, opps.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #33
roger_15
Enthusiast
roger_15 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3G/NookColor
Help!

1. I found that YouTube was not working. If I tried to open it, it would go to
youtube show a black screen and switch back to where I started.

2. Found this thread and followed SCION's advice and cleared the cash. No go.

3. Uninstalled youtube using Titanium BU and installed the "signed_youtube" file
and that fixed it. I then went to Titanium BU and backed it up. This broke
Youtube again.

It seems that Titanium is the culprit here. It does stop youtube to back it up
so I thought maybe it just needs to be restarted. No go.

4. Uninstall youtub again and downloaded again but this time it did not install the app. Ouch!

As it stands, I have the "signed_youtube.apk" sitting in "Downloads" doing
nothing. I do not have ADB installed or working so I need a way to force an
install.

I will not be back here till late today so if you have an idea for me, please
post it. I'll try them out when I get home.

Apps I have installed that might help:

ES File Explorer (Free)
Nook Color Tools
Root Explorer
Titanium Backup (Free)

I have some experience writing commands using CMD so I'm not apposed to
using it. Its been a long time though.

Thanks!
roger_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #34
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_15 View Post
...but this time it did not install the app. Ouch!
What do you mean? Was there an error messeage? Did it look like it installed successfully, but when you went to look for it, it wasn't there?

Within ES File Explorer go to the App Manager (Menu/Manager/App Manager). Is YouTube there?

Have tried rebooting?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #35
roger_15
Enthusiast

Never mind, thanks anyway.
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #36
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_15 View Post
It seems that Titanium is the culprit here. It does stop youtube to back it up
so I thought maybe it just needs to be restarted. No go.
FWIW, I have titanium backup and it regularly backs up everything on my device (I do have Titanium Pro, or rather, I have a license key I bought before Pro was on the market and I put the key on my device and it unlocks the pro features of the Titanium free app) and I've not yet had any issues with Youtube. Just checked, still working.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #37
roger_15
Enthusiast

I have since discovered that it's not the back up process that breaks youtube but the
stopping and starting that does it. I can get it working again by doing a "Data Wipe" in
Root explorer.

This, I think, is similar to what SCION suggested in ES file explorer.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #38
Twoturn
Twoturn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Twoturn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Twoturn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Twoturn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
Just to let you know what worked for me in this case:

Using ES File Explorer | Settings | App Manager | YouTube | Detail, not only did I clear the cache, but data as well. YouTube fired right up without needing to reinstall. (The Market still works.)
Twoturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #39
proshares
proshares began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color
I tried Titanium Backup but that app never worked properly for me. It would just show me a screen with some data but no options to Backup/Data.

How do I install the Youtube abk file into the Nook Color?
proshares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #40
stangcbr
stangcbr began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
For titanium backup, you have to have an SD card in the Nook for it to show the programs and give you the options to backup. Without the card, nothing you need shows up.
stangcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #41
stangcbr
stangcbr began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Also, for the nook color, I was able to install abk file on the nook for tube (and other files for that matter), but none would actually install the program. It said I wasn't allowed to install even though I made the change to the software to do this. You can move install files with the sd card manually, or with ADB installed on your computer per Nookdev's instructions. The titanium backup is all that worked for me, but install the SD card (make sure it was formatted back to normal following the Rooting process).
stangcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #42
proshares
proshares began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcbr View Post
For titanium backup, you have to have an SD card in the Nook for it to show the programs and give you the options to backup. Without the card, nothing you need shows up.
Thank you stangcbr. Got youtube running now after following your advice.
proshares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #43
kmarsh
kmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I usually tell people to uninstall and reinstall the signed .apk. Then others would chime in that they cleared cache and it worked. Trial and error.

Edit: Here's the signed .apk in case someone is wondering.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ql6v72qia20wkh7
I have downloaded the apk for Youtbue but do not know how to install it on my nook color. Could you please give me the steps.
Thanks
kmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote