Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #646
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñigo View Post
Oh,ok. That was it.

Thanks a lot.
I've updated my program in post #342, v0.6 now understands the \x style escape sequences, so it won't stop with an error if there is an \x00 at the end of the string now.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #647
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Thanks Geoff, that is great. I don't need the virtualbox any more, and the previous python program was also not uptodate. Thanks again.
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #648
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
Thanks so much for the patch. I have already tried and works perfectly.
Glad it works. Thank you for the feedback
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #649
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
hi

A strange font behaviour about side-loaded fonts and Kobo Patcher

I just wanted to share a curious finding. I have 2.8.1 and the relevant Kobo Patcher 0.7.

Some "enhanced" side-loaded fonts behave perfectly and work with the advanced features (so called Genius), for example, Charis Sil modified, which allows the user to change boldness or thinness to your liking, till you strike your perfect balance.

For some mysterious reason, some other enhanced side-loaded fonts, behave this way with the regular font only but display bold instead of italics which is unpleasant.

I found by chance, while reading an EPUB without any font (not one font-family mind you), and selecting the font option "document default" that it displayed perfectly the former side-loaded font, I mean with the right italics.

Note that I cannot apply the Genius features (nothing is perfect), but it displays italics while for the same font if I selected on the Kobo the font-family name, there is no way the italics could be displayed. This strange behaviour applies for Linux Libertine fattened which has been published on MR.

I can't explain this behaviour but I find it useful since it's my favorite font.

To make it shorter: it's about EPUB without any font!!
- either: Default document and italics but no Genius features
- or: Font selected, Genius features but no italics

Last edited by roger64; 12-29-2013 at 05:35 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #650
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@roger64,

I use Linux Libertine on my Kobo Patched Glo. It works fine with Type Genius. I think it's the one from this Kindle pack.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #651
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@roger64,

I use Linux Libertine on my Kobo Patched Glo. It works fine with Type Genius. I think it's the one from this Kindle pack.
Thanks for the link and the tip. I'll will try it.

If I understand correctly, all these fonts are not "book" but "medium". Up to now, I failed to make the Minion Pro thinner.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #652
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I use firmware 2.8.1 and my patch with help from different people for the footer is very good, is there any reason why I would update to the latest version ? I don't have seen any changelogs and by the bits and pieces for the last firmware, I am a bit afraid of patching it, don't even know which version I have to use from the patcher and how to change my footer part of the 2.8.1 version into the new one to get the same result ?

Try'd to use patch mz_koboreaderpatch_11.exe and patch for version 3.01 for my aura HD with the kpg.conf from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=605 and use my values in 2.8.1 but it gives the following result.
Spoiler:
Loading file for patching ...
OK

Applying patches ...
Applying patch [Custom reading footer style] ...
13fd621 ad a9

Data for replace in libnickel.so.1.0.0 and kpg.conf does not match!
libnickel.so.1.0.0 is already patched or from the wrong firmware version.
Replace: replace_xor_9C = 13FD621, ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-h
eight: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="
kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tma
x-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 110;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeNa
me="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMa
rgin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[devi
ceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\
tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB10
1 Pr6N;\n}, ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproper
ty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 31px;\n\tfont-family: Amasis;\n}\n\
n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}

Used the libnickel out of: 3.1.1 as explained here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=549

Tried to use this values out of 2.8.1:
Spoiler:

`ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 110;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 31px;\n\tfont-family: Amasis;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`

And copy them after the part of the patch:
# Decrease footer example
replace_xor_58 = 13FA550,
So.. stuck..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 01-06-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: tried values
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #653
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nick, in your first example you seem to be using the 3.1.1 patch on fw 3.0.1, and your second example you seem to be using the fw 3.1.0 patch address for fw 3.1.1.

If you use the 3.0.1 patch for fw 3.0.1, or the 3.1.1 patch for fw 3.1.1, then it should work. But note that the footer has changed between 2.8.1 and 3.1.1, so you can't just replace the xor value and address, you need to replace the whole original footer.

You might also want to add \x00 to the end of your new footer, but you can try it without to see if it makes a difference.

Here is what I think you want to use to get the same result for 3.1.1 as you had in 2.8.1:
Spoiler:
Code:
replace_xor_9C = 13FD538, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 15;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 31px;\n\tfont-family: Amasis;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}\x00`
Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #654
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Nick, in your first example you seem to be using the 3.1.1 patch on fw 3.0.1, and your second example you seem to be using the fw 3.1.0 patch address for fw 3.1.1.

If you use the 3.0.1 patch for fw 3.0.1, or the 3.1.1 patch for fw 3.1.1, then it should work. But note that the footer has changed between 2.8.1 and 3.1.1, so you can't just replace the xor value and address, you need to replace the whole original footer.

You might also want to add \x00 to the end of your new footer, but you can try it without to see if it makes a difference.

Here is what I think you want to use to get the same result for 3.1.1 as you had in 2.8.1:
Spoiler:
Code:
replace_xor_9C = 13FD538, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 15;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 31px;\n\tfont-family: Amasis;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}\x00`
Dear Geoff.
The problem with the 3.1.1 patch part in this topic, is that it is so fragmented over so much posts.
To find out how to catch the libnickel is there, and the patch is somewhere else, and at the end you find out that an early post is edited so it has the right data.
First I tried the patch you have edited for me.
it doesn't work.. so I start searching again.
Then I found out that in your kpg.conf file there is already a removed #
# Disable footer example
replace_xor_9C = 13FD538 .....
I found the
# Decrease footer example for Aura HD and just removed the # there..
But dear Nick.. then you have to change the first line into:
# Disable footer example
#replace_xor_9C = 13FD538 .....
Now there was 2 options open.. and for sure that was wrong, so after putting an # on the first option I copy and paste your modified line for the 2.8.1
And.. works like a charm, thank you so much.
What my modified 2.8.1 does is leave a little white line under page xx of yy and the text page xx of yy is always in amasis.
Because when you change the letter type, the page xx of yy txt is changed into this lettertype also and it disappears when you choose a big lettertype completely out of the way.
With the amasis font in it, you can change into every weird font of the txt, but the line page xxx of yyy will always be in amasis and always on the right place.
I again, thank you and hope that when the firmware is changing again,and there is a new patch,you will help me adapt mine ?

Last edited by Nick_1964; 01-07-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Solved.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #655
GeoffR
Wizard

The patch in my previous post was for firmware 3.1.1, ir won't work for 3.0.1 or any other version. Each firmware version needs a different patch. Which firmware do you want to use?

IMHO the best choice for the Glo/AuraHD is either 2.8.1 or 3.1.1. There is no point using 3.0.1 or 3.1.0 on Glo/AuraHD because these versions have some bugs which are fixed in 3.1.1.

Edit: I have tested the patch in my post above, and it applies without error to the libnickel.so.1.0.0 in firmware 3.1.1. When you removed the "#" character from the example you used, did you remember to add a "#" character to the other example that you don't want to use? It won't work if you have the "#" character removed from two footers.

Edit2: I've PM'd you a copy of the full kpg.conf for 3.1.1 with your footer added.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-07-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #656
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The patch in my previous post was for firmware 3.1.1, ir won't work for 3.0.1 or any other version. Each firmware version needs a different patch. Which firmware do you want to use?

IMHO the best choice for the Glo/AuraHD is either 2.8.1 or 3.1.1. There is no point using 3.0.1 or 3.1.0 on Glo/AuraHD because these versions have some bugs which are fixed in 3.1.1.

Edit: I have tested the patch in my post above, and it applies without error to the libnickel.so.1.0.0 in firmware 3.1.1. When you removed the "#" character from the example you used, did you remember to add a "#" character to the other example that you don't want to use? It won't work if you have the "#" character removed from two footers.

Edit2: I've PM'd you a copy of the full kpg.conf for 3.1.1 with your footer added.
I have edited my message.
The mistake was indeed, two # that was removed, but I found it out before you said, so I don't feel myself the most dump person in the world
It works Geoff, and I just got it working before I got your PM with the kpg.conf with the lines you provided me.
Extremely gratefull to you.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for your help. ( I have a special form of dyslectic and this forum is the only place where people like you (and others) are helping me without calling me names.)

Last edited by Nick_1964; 01-07-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #657
gisozar
gisozar began at the beginning.

Hi all, does anyone have the margins fine tuning patch for firmware 3.1.1? Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by gisozar; 01-09-2014 at 03:52 AM.
gisozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #658
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Hi all, Patch `Allow download all in Browser` can be applied to 3.1.1?
If the answer is Yes someone can point me in the right direction?

Thank you
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #659
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisozar View Post
Hi all, does anyone have the margins fine tuning patch for firmware 3.1.1? Thanks a lot in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Hi all, Patch `Allow download all in Browser` can be applied to 3.1.1?
If the answer is Yes someone can point me in the right direction?
I've just added these patches to the example kpg.conf for firmware 3.1.1 (761b066420) attached to post #605.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #660
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Thank you very much GeoffR, the treade is huge and searching in it is not easy
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote