Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The check/cheque is in the mail

I just signed up with Amazon and realised yet another glitch in dealing with them from outside their specific countries of presence: they can only pay me by check (which I presume becomes a cheque by the time it reaches me here in Australia ).

Now I don't doubt Amazon, but it's been a long time since anyone told the that the cheque was in the mail. My mind automatically comes up with questions like: What if they send it by sea? What if it gets lost in the post? Just how long might such a mix-up take to resolve?

I guess that, realistically, I am probably not talking about amounts that I'm likely to miss very much. But, still, it's not really something I was expecting.

So let's summarise the situation: For sales in my own country they're going to give me 35%; they're going to withhold 30% of all royalties (unless I get an ITIN, and then it's only 5%); they're going to hold onto the result for up to 90 days (60 days from end of month of sale); they're going to pop the result in the post and cross their fingers. And when I get that cheque it looks like my bank is going to charge me $15 to deposit it!

Obviously this is not all Amazon's fault, but it's quite frustrating from where I'm sitting.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A check? What is that?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Interesting. I haven't had occasion to transfer money overseas except for internet shopping so i wonder if the cheque payment is due to differences in bank fees. ie if amazon does an electronic transfer to your australian bank account they get charged conversion fees, but by sending you a cheque they can send it in usd and the conversion cost becomes yours.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wow. $15 to deposit a check and I thought bank fees in the U.S. were bad.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow. $15 to deposit a check and I thought bank fees in the U.S. were bad.
How much does your bank charge to process a cheque in a foreign currency? I'd be very surprised if it were less than $15!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How much does your bank charge to process a cheque in a foreign currency? I'd be very surprised if it were less than $15!
I recently cashed two Canadian checks (for Createspace drop-shipped books) and my bank (it's a credit union) didn't treat it any different than any other check. It was free.

Unless all down under banks are like that, I think I'd shop for a different one.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Now I don't doubt Amazon, but it's been a long time since anyone told the that the cheque was in the mail. My mind automatically comes up with questions like: What if they send it by sea? What if it gets lost in the post? Just how long might such a mix-up take to resolve?
Wonderful!
That reminds me of the song by Dylan "When my ship comes in."

gmw, I see a story here.

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Wonderful!
That reminds me of the song by Dylan "When my ship comes in."

gmw, I see a story here.

Hmm... you're right. Perhaps I should go ahead just so I can write with the required verisimilitude. The cheque could get washed up on a desert island where the poor stranded sailor writes his message on the back and throws it back again - so when I finally get it, I'd have to choose between banking it or doing something about rescuing the sailor. I could even borrow lines off the Dylan song for chapter titles - they're obscure enough to fit almost anything I could write. (Shhh... don't tell anyone about this idea ).
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm... you're right. Perhaps I should go ahead just so I can write with the required verisimilitude. The cheque could get washed up on a desert island where the poor stranded sailor writes his message on the back and throws it back again - so when I finally get it, I'd have to choose between banking it or doing something about rescuing the sailor. I could even borrow lines off the Dylan song for chapter titles - they're obscure enough to fit almost anything I could write. (Shhh... don't tell anyone about this idea ).
A word and title come to mind. "Lost."
The check would have a "number" on it of course.

Once you publish the best seller, and I write half the screen plays, we can both retire to our own island.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
... the poor stranded sailor writes his message on the back and throws it back again - so when I finally get it, I'd have to choose between banking it or doing something about rescuing the sailor...
Bank it and use the money to fund a rescue expedition (this a cheque for best-seller after all ) with helicopters, ex-Special Forces guides/hunters, a stowaway 12-year old nephew that is a genius at something and a "rescue expert" or "expedition manager" that turns out to be a henchman of the evil guy looking to permanently silence the poor sailor who was dumped on the island to keep him from testifying in a Congressional hearing about the evil corporation that dumps radioactive waste in Springfield (while blaming Mr Burns).

P.S. sorry for going off topic...
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
Bank it and use the money to fund a rescue expedition (this a cheque for best-seller after all ) with helicopters, ex-Special Forces guides/hunters, a stowaway 12-year old nephew that is a genius at something and a "rescue expert" or "expedition manager" that turns out to be a henchman of the evil guy looking to permanently silence the poor sailor who was dumped on the island to keep him from testifying in a Congressional hearing about the evil corporation that dumps radioactive waste in Springfield (while blaming Mr Burns).

P.S. sorry for going off topic...
Yegad! So Mr Burns is the evil twisted genius.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
No! No!
Mr Burns is in fact blameless and the sailor can prove it.

gmw, hurry up and cash that cheque, the rumours about Mr Burns are already spreading!

Oh, you didn't get the cheque yet, all is lost!
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

They don't call this section of MobileRead "Writer's Corner" for nothing.