Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #121
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan4now View Post
watching a cartoon you loved some years ago is just NEAH
I think it depends on the cartoon. A large number of cartoons/anime/animated movies that I enjoyed as a kid still hold up to this day. Among these are the classic Warner Brothers/MGM cartoons directed by Tex Avery (such as those featuring Droopy), and the Warner Brothers cartoons directed by Frank Tashlin (such as the one where Elmer Fudd finally gets fed up with Bugs' abuse and quits, a very bizarre and warped cartoon indeed).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #122
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Indeed!

Am just now re-living cartoons with my kids and am impressed about how much better the old (50's-60's) pink panther and Tom&Jerry cartoons are than the newer (70`s-80's) versions of the same shows.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #123
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Indeed!

Am just now re-living cartoons with my kids and am impressed about how much better the old (50's-60's) pink panther and Tom&Jerry cartoons are than the newer (70`s-80's) versions of the same shows.

Best regards,
Andy
Sometimes the changes made in new shows featuring the characters just doesn't work. An example of this is Tom & Jerry. In the 70s they were friends rather than opponents. In "Super Friends" (a show featuring super heroes) they weren't allowed to have the characters throwing any punches. Not to mention the deaging of characters (Tom & Jerry, The Flintstones and The Muppets among them).
Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #124
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Nothing can compare to the 'original' Tom and Jerry cartoons, the later ones are awful! Just got hold of the blu-ray set of the first 37 shorts... mmm, T&J in high definition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladyleyna View Post
Kids as young as 6 are familiar with mobile phones.

When I was six I didn't even know what a mobile phone was. Now, my kids shout "Angry Birds!" and ask to play games every time I take my phone out.
When I was six mobile phones were in their very infancy - nothing more than walkie-talkies really. This piece from the BBC's Tomorrow's World programme in 1979 showing the start of proper mobile telephones was actually filmed in my home town and I went to the polytechnic it was shot in (the Anglia Polytechnic in the middle of Chelmsford... recently demolished though). A guy I worked with a few years ago had been in the team that developed it at Marconi, also in the town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vix6TMnj9vY

Last edited by Fozzybear; 03-23-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #125
mirandu85
Addict
mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mirandu85 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: noen
when you realize you don't have any grandparents alive..sad moment
mirandu85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #126
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Fozzybear wrote as part of a post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear View Post
Nothing can compare to the 'original' Tom and Jerry cartoons, the later ones are awful! Just got hold of the blu-ray set of the first 37 shorts... mmm, T&J in high definition!
I agree. So many new cartoons don't hold up to the classics (although I do like the Tom & Jerry cartoons released between those by Hanna-Barbara and those by Chuck Jones). I'm looking forward to getting the classic Fleischer Brothers Popeye cartoons in glorious Black and White!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #127
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Had a look at the timeline - those are the Gene Deitch ones I think... better than the later Chuck Jones ones but I still find them pretty poor in comparison to the originals, which were superbly drawn and wonderfully conceived. Maybe I'm a bit biased though!

Have got a bit of a classic cartoon collection here, have also got some of the Disney Treasures limited edition tins of early Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck and Silly Symphonies... though I've not actually watched much of those dvds yet.
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #128
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:

When I was six mobile phones were in their very infancy - nothing more than walkie-talkies really. This piece from the BBC's Tomorrow's World programme in 1979 showing the start of proper mobile telephones was actually filmed in my home town and I went to the polytechnic it was shot in (the Anglia Polytechnic in the middle of Chelmsford... recently demolished though). A guy I worked with a few years ago had been in the team that developed it at Marconi, also in the town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vix6TMnj9vY
When I was six, mobil phones were sifi. Oh wait, maybe that was when I was twelve, I couldn't read sifi when I was six!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #129
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Had a look at the timeline - those are the Gene Deitch ones I think... better than the later Chuck Jones ones but I still find them pretty poor in comparison to the originals, which were superbly drawn and wonderfully conceived. Maybe I'm a bit biased though!

Have got a bit of a classic cartoon collection here, have also got some of the Disney Treasures limited edition tins of early Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck and Silly Symphonies... though I've not actually watched much of those dvds yet.
I've always thought of the Gene Deitch "Tom & Jerry" cartoons as "The European Tom & Jerry" because seem similar to the European cartoons of that era. Based on my reading, part of the reason for the difference is due to Deitch and his crew having very little information on Tom & Jerry when they were making the cartoons. I still consider them among my favorites, there's something about they just works for me.

I tend to go for the more unusual cartoons that interest me. One of the cartoons that I greatly enjoy is Fraidy Cat (produced by Filmation), about a cat on the last of his nine lives who often has the ghosts of his previous lives appear to try and "help" him...usually with very bad results.