Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGrrl View Post
You will need to reconvert them to .mobi (even if they are already .mobi) to get the metadata updates that are required for "Furthest Page Read" syncing to work. "reconvert" = select them in Calibre --> Convert --> Bulk Convert --> Output format MOBI
Ok. So I select all and just do a reconvert.

1. Does it just overwrite the current file or does it make another mobi file?

2. Is it ok to do a lot at once. Or should I convert in steps, so many files at a time. I have approx. 135 books in Calibre right now.

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
1. Does it just overwrite the current file or does it make another mobi file?
If a given output format already exists, Calibre overwrites the file. There can only be one entry per format per book.

Quote:
2. Is it ok to do a lot at once. Or should I convert in steps, so many files at a time. I have approx. 135 books in Calibre right now.
Calibre queues the conversions and works on them according to how many CPU Cores you've given it.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Calibre queues the conversions and works on them according to how many CPU Cores you've given it.
Is there some setting I should be aware of?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Is there some setting I should be aware of?
No, I don't think so. There's a setting to remove that restriction, but why one would want to do that, I don't know.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #20
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
No, I don't think so. There's a setting to remove that restriction, but why one would want to do that, I don't know.
I think that the commonest reason for changing the number of background processes Calibre runs would be to lessen the maximum load that Calibre could put on your system?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think that the commonest reason for changing the number of background processes Calibre runs would be to lessen the maximum load that Calibre could put on your system?
You can change the number of queued processes, but isn't the number of working processes equivalent to the core count?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No in calibre a queued job is one that hasn't been assigned to a worker process. The number of worker processes is set to

min(6, 2*core_count)

Which means that by default at most min(3, core_count) conversion processes can run simultaneously.

Of course some conversion processes like comic conversion use all cores in which case the scheduler will run only one of them at a time.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
raytracer
raytracer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Android Kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaver View Post
This did not work for me. I updated to the latest version of Calibre this morning. I reconverted my library after the update and sent a new copy of each book to both my Kindle 3 WiFi and my Android phone. I opened a couple books in each and established where I was in each book by bookmarking and going to that specific location. Then I attempted to sync and nothing happened. On both devices I received a message that I was already synced to the furthest location read. But they did not sync. Both devices are on different locations. What did I do wrong?
Something to try: delete the books from both devices before uploading them. How are you getting them on your Android phone? Are you uploading the .opf file as well as the .mobi file?

Joe
raytracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
higlider
higlider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does the Fetch Annotations for Last Page Read only work for Mobi files? I have searched my library for those that contain Last Page Read in the Description comments and found they are MOBI files for which my Kindle had the MOBI file. But if I am reading an AZW file on the Kindle, there is no Last Page Read notation in my Calibre library for that book, even though I have Fetched Annotations. Could somebody explain when Fetch Annotations works and when it doesn't?

Someone suggested using book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with Calibre Mobi files. Where in the interface do you have the chance to set those?
higlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #25
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by higlider View Post
Does the Fetch Annotations for Last Page Read only work for Mobi files? I have searched my library for those that contain Last Page Read in the Description comments and found they are MOBI files for which my Kindle had the MOBI file. But if I am reading an AZW file on the Kindle, there is no Last Page Read notation in my Calibre library for that book, even though I have Fetched Annotations. Could somebody explain when Fetch Annotations works and when it doesn't?

Someone suggested using book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with Calibre Mobi files. Where in the interface do you have the chance to set those?
The first (uuid) is automatically generated and cannot be accessed (per Kovid - the developer) See post #8 in this thread. To change the tag to [EBOK] : Preferences => Conversion => Output Options => Mobi Output => Personal Doc Tag = change [PDOC] to [EBOK].
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
KitsBeach
KitsBeach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
To change the tag to [EBOK] : Preferences => Conversion => Output Options => Mobi Output => Personal Doc Tag = change [PDOC] to [EBOK].
I did this and it worked.

I just re-converted my book using Calibre and changed the tag as above.

Then I deleted the problem book from my kindle and from my amazon manage my kindle" page, and resent the newly formatted book to my kindle via email.

I also had deleted it from my iphone app and actually removed the app from my iphone just to make sure. I reinstalled the app and the newly formatted book appeared in my cloud section. I opened it and it correctly opened on the last page read from my kindle.

Now my kindle and my iphone app send last page data back and forth perfectly.

Note that in my case only a few books were giving me trouble. So in my case it seemed the files were at fault.

Last edited by KitsBeach; 01-31-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: more info
KitsBeach is offline   Reply With Quote