Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #61
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
and you have seen this theoretic device in a working prototype? Don't condescend to this group of people, we have been talking about these things for a long while now...everyone has different needs. Just because your or my needs don't fit with someone else's does not mean other style devices should not be made.

Think about it...do we need sports cars, mini vans, compact cars, SUV's, electric drive vehicles, gasoline powered vehicles...etc...I mean they all are the same so only on type of vehicle needs to be made for everyone.

One style of clothes for men and women, all the same color and all the same size...I hope you see the point here...

I want them to make devices like you prefer as well as devices I prefer and other devices others prefer...ask out buddies in Ukraine how things were when the idea of one-size fits all worked out...and how things are now with freedom of choice.
I completely agree with your argument that consumer choice is highly beneficial but I'm not so sure that it applies here. Yes, it might help to encourage people to transition from paper books to e-books but trying to keep the standard two pages in view format could also inhibit developememt/acceptance of more practical e-book readers. I see a use for dual screen readers of each screen can have a separate book displayed. But when it comes to e-book readers the average person whould be willing to lug around, then I have to agree that people need to get over their attachment to having two pages of the same book displayed at once, along with the feel of p-books, the smell of p-books and their bindings (I will admit to an affection for the smell of leather), etc.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #62
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
(I will admit to an affection for the smell of leather)
I solved that one... got a leather case for my nook.

But I still think people need to let go of paper book analogies and read on whatever surface is best for reading, not whatever looks/feels most like a book. We will find things that are a lot better than books if we let go of books. But if we keep trying to make ereaders look/feel like books, then we won't get something new and better.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #63
MartinDu
MartinDu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
What about something you can "write on" like paper. I want to be able to "Jot Notes or Highlight ON it". ...Like ON IT the way I do with paper.
MartinDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #64
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Personally, i see no need for a second 'page'.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #65
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinDu View Post
What about something you can "write on" like paper. I want to be able to "Jot Notes or Highlight ON it". ...Like ON IT the way I do with paper.
There are several ereaders that offer this functionality. The current Sony models all do, for example.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert