Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
An additional 'Karma' Question. . .

I wanted to give some kudos to a couple of posters. So I clicked the Karma button on their posts. On the first poster, it defaulted to a 12 with a message for me to reduce the amount if I want. (I assume it's based on MY karma points, or level of participation, or, something!?!). I accepted the default without thinking.

On the second poster, on a whim, I changed the Karma points to 20, even though the default was 12. The higher amount seems to have been accepted.

My question is, did I give the second poster 12 points or 20 points?

My subsequent question is really a moral dilemma, did I give the first poster a 'royal reaming'? the second poster didn't really deserve MORE points than the first!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Karma? I just learned something new about this site!

If you give someone points are they subtracted from your own, or are new points generated every time some are given?

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The more you give, the more you get. You get about 20 "servings" of K every 24hrs, so give it all away to posters who help you, make a good point, or just plain give you a chuckle. Yours will never go down.

To find who gave it to you, click "user cp" in the blue bar above. And it's nice to tap the givers name and acknowledge it.

Now get cracking, you have a lot of K to give away!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The more you give, the more you get. You get about 20 "servings" of K every 24hrs, so give it all away to posters who help you, make a good point, or just plain give you a chuckle. Yours will never go down.

To find who gave it to you, click "user cp" in the blue bar above. And it's nice to tap the givers name and acknowledge it.

Now get cracking, you have a lot of K to give away!
Yeah, but did I grant 12 or 20 points?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
There's probably no way to know for sure at this point, though I could be wrong. Once you give karma, I do not believe there is a record anywhere of exactly how much you gave. It just keeps a running cumulative total.

You can, however, test it on a future karma handout.

Check DixieGal's total karma before giving her new karma. Click the karma button for her post, change the 12 to 20, and then see what her new total is immediately after you're done.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It really doesn't matter. It is all arbitrary, and the receiver does not know how much they got from an individual. Somebody, maybe Vivaldirules or Pshrynk, has a good explanation in their sig, something about it being like a kiss that you give a friend, some sort of mushy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
There's probably no way to know for sure at this point, though I could be wrong. Once you give karma, I do not believe there is a record anywhere of exactly how much you gave. It just keeps a running cumulative total.

You can, however, test it on a future karma handout.

Check DixieGal's total karma before giving her new karma. Click the karma button for her post, change the 12 to 20, and then see what her new total is immediately after you're done.
Thanks! I picked up a few points from that!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
You can't give away more than the default amount. (I tested it myself, when I first discovered Karma).

Neither can you give it to the same person twice in a row...even possibly the last two people, but I'm less certain about that one.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
You can't give away more than the default amount. (I tested it myself, when I first discovered Karma).

Neither can you give it to the same person twice in a row...even possibly the last two people, but I'm less certain about that one.
You have to spread it around, like a smile.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Giving out Karma can be fun, even if there's screaming involved. You see, there's some Windows dialogue box that pops up when I give out Karma. I changed some of my Windows sounds because I was bored of dings and chimes (zzz). Now, a sound clip from "Saw" plays when the Karma window pops up, and I hear screaming and "Game Over." :ROFL:

Eventually I'll tire of it and change it to a nice "ding" or something.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I believe 12.
I think initially you see the maximum you can give, hence they ask you to alter the number if you want to reduce it but nothing about increasing the number.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
There's a thread about it over here that explains it pretty well.

I think that you would have been limited to 12 karma points unless someone suddenly gave you some and so increased the amount you can give.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:

Glen, this is OT: I don't mean to insult you, but your avatar is creepy.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Funny... that's usually what people say about my avatar!

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
Funny... that's usually what people say about my avatar!

- M.

Yours isn't as creepy as his.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote