Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #46
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i read Greatshadow by James Maxey not too long ago. fun read and it features elemental dragons. the series is titled Dragon Apocalypse so you know you're in store for dragon goodness.

"The warrior woman known as Infidel is legendary for her superhuman strength and skin tough as chain mail. She’s made few friends during her career as a sword-for-hire, and many powerful enemies. Following the death of her closest companion, Infidel finds herself weary of life as a mercenary and sets her eyes on one final prize that will allow her to live out the rest of her days in luxury, the priceless treasure trove of Greatshadow.

Greatshadow is the primal dragon of fire. His malign intelligence spies upon mankind through every flickering candle, patiently waiting to devour victims careless with even the smallest flame. The Church of the Book has assembled a team of twelve battle-hardened adventurers to slay the dragon once and for all. But tensions run high between the leaders of the quest who view the mission as a holy duty and the super-powered mercenaries who add power to their ranks, who dream only of Greatshadow’s vast wealth. If the warriors fail to slay the beast, will they doom mankind to death by fire? "

Maxey's Bitterwood series is also great (and dragon based).

"Dragons rule the world, united under the powerful dragon king Albekizan. Humans have been subdued for centuries, existing only as slaves, pets, and prey. Yet one man, the mysterious Bitterwood, strikes at dragons from the shadows, fighting a long, lonely war of resistance. When Bitterwood is blamed for the death of Albekizan’s beloved son, Bodiel, the king launches a full scale campaign to rid the world of the legendary dragon-slayer—even if he must kill all of mankind to do so."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #47
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Another Dragon series that comes to mind is Robin Hobbs Rain Wild Chronicles.
Book 3 was just recently released. The series is not yet finished and each book ends quite abruptly so it might be better to wait until all books is out.
Book 1: Dragon Keeper
Book 2: Dragon Haven
Book 3: City of Dragons
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #48
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
Another Dragon series that comes to mind is Robin Hobbs Rain Wild Chronicles.
Book 3 was just recently released. The series is not yet finished and each book ends quite abruptly so it might be better to wait until all books is out.
Book 1: Dragon Keeper
Book 2: Dragon Haven
Book 3: City of Dragons
I'd recommend starting with the Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice) myself if you're going to read the Hobb books. Hobb's my favorite author, so I'm biased, though.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #49
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just finished reading Dragon Stones by James Viscosi... if you're looking for something in a single book rather than a series, this is a great read. The story is very well done, told from five different viewpoints, interesting characters.

Amazon has a very good price for this book (around $3). The author's blog links to lulu where the epub costs three times as much, which I wasn't willing to spend on an unknown-to-me author. Couldn't find any epub source in Amazon's price range. Oh well.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #50
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Bazil Broketail by Christopher Rowley is a pretty good series IMO

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #51
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'd recommend starting with the Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice) myself if you're going to read the Hobb books. Hobb's my favorite author, so I'm biased, though.
I recently started on the Farseer trilogy after coming from Ruthfoss and The name of the wind which I thought was great, but so far the story in Farseer doesn't really appeal to me but I will continue to see what happens.

Finished book 1 rather quickly and it certainly got better from book 2 and onwards. I'm now on book 3.

Last edited by thinkpad; 01-22-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #52
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The Dark Heavens series by Kylie Chan has some dragons in it. A number of the characters are figures out of Chinese mythology. The first book is "White Tiger".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #53
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You might want to try:
Troop Alan The Dragon delaSangre (dragon shape shifters, pretty bloodthirsty)
Jones, Jaida HaveMercy (metal sentient dragons- VERY GOOD)
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #54
julid
julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Of course the best to start with Anne McCaffrey. So good choice there. No one's mentioned this one: Elric of Melnibone has dragons in it. Also Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn's about a girl who lives in a world where dragons have taken over Canada. So, check that one out? I think I recall hearing she was working on a sequel to that one.

There was one I read ...shew, a long time ago called The Glass Dragon/The Dragon Nimbus by Irene Radford.
Then the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn comes to mind. Those first three books are on Kindle. The second series, Dragon Star doesn't seem to be.

And last but not least I just finished a fantasy romance for review--Marsha A. Moore's Seeking A Scribe has some great (little) dragons in it that I just adore. I'll have the review on my blog sooner or later. I just gotta get off my behind and do it. Anyway, I hope you find something here you like.
julid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #55
thinkpad
David

Robin Hobb is about to finish the Rain Wilds Chronicles with her 4:th and last book in the series. The book will be released April 9, 2013 (date on Amazon for Kindle).

The last book will be named: Blood of Dragons.

Last edited by thinkpad; 01-22-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #56
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I didn't realise it wasn't a trilogy. I'm glad I still haven't started it yet.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #57
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
It counts as "Young Adult," but you might try Dragon Magic, by Andre Norton.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #58
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I didn't realise it wasn't a trilogy. I'm glad I still haven't started it yet.
Here's an explanation from Robin Hobb why it turned out to be 4 books:
http://robinhobb.com/2012/02/blood-o...-is-book-four/
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #59
thinkpad
David

Naomi Noviks next book in the Temeraire series will be released in August 2013.
Blood of Tyrants, http://www.temeraire.org/

So far we've got the following books in this series for those who haven't read them yet:
1. His Majesty's Dragon
2. Throne of Jade
3. Black Powder War
4. Empire of Ivory
5. Victory of Eagles
6. Tongues of Serpents
7. Crucible of Gold

Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #60
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ory-of-dragons

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton
Anthony Trollope with dragons as the main characters. It's not a mash-up like Austen and zombies but a Victorian-style family saga whose characters happen to be dragons. Loosely based on Trollope's Framley Parsonage.

http://www.nancypearl.com/?cat=54
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote