Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
Buying from Craigslist

Hi everyone,

I've been looking on this forum for three weeks trying to decide between buying the 600 or the 900. I finally joined today because I need your opinions. Last night I found a Craigslist seller who had received a 600 as a christmas gift. The 600 is still sealed in the box. The seller wanted $260 OBO. I told him I would give him $200 and he responded with $215. My dilemma is not having a warranty. What do you guys think?
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If it is new in box you may be able to register it to yourself. Does he possible have a [gift] receipt he could also pass on to you.

$215 is a great price for a new in box PRS-600.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
I would do the purchase in person and have him turn the 600 on to make sure it works before handing the money over. If it is fact NIB then the registration should give you the warranty, as if it was gifted to you.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
LaLa4363
Enthusiast

I sent him an email asking if he had a receipt but I haven't received a response. While I was waiting I thought I would get an opinion from you guys.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
LaLa4363
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions. I am meeting him in person. I will get him to turn it on before handing the money over.
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I am meeting him in person. I will get him to turn it on before handing the money over.
Cool... and welcome to the world of ebooks!

BOb
Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I know this is getting paranoid, and it probably is a legit purchase (and a great deal), but..... If he tries to sell it to you without turning it on, by saying look it's sealed etc..., walk away. Seals can be faked in numerous ways.

Again, just the way I am (overly cautious) but a good thing to keep in mind.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
I know this is getting paranoid, and it probably is a legit purchase (and a great deal), but..... If he tries to sell it to you without turning it on, by saying look it's sealed etc..., walk away. Seals can be faked in numerous ways.

Again, just the way I am (overly cautious) but a good thing to keep in mind.

Good luck.
Good point... anyone with a steady hand and a glue stick can "seal" a box.

BOb
Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
LaLa4363
Enthusiast

Thank you both. I am also paranoid when it comes to my hard earned money!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
RonF
Zealot

Quote:
Thank you both. I am also paranoid when it comes to my hard earned money!
Let us know how you make out.

and don't forget to copy down his license plate... sorry, paranoia again... lol

Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
LaLa4363
Enthusiast

Let us know how you make out and don't forget to copy down his license plate... sorry, paranoia again... lol

I also thought about writing down his license plate... lol.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Please don't go meet this person and don't buy anythng off of craigslist like this. All transactions aren't bad, however, meeting someone you don't know with $200 is not a good situation.

Try going into the store and buying a returned one. I got two at about $40 off each. One a $600 and one a 300. No problems with either and both with a full warranty.

Be safe
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
ohpinion8ted
ohpinion8ted began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I purchased my 600 the exact same way - except using Kijiji instead of Craigslist. The Seller had received both a Kindle and a 600 for Christmas. She kept the Kindle and was selling the 600 NIB and having never been registered. She wanted $300 and I bought it for $240. She showed me the 600 in its original packaging, completely sealed, with all original contents - but no receipt. Because it had never been registered, I could register it myself and it would qualify for the Sony warranty. Once registered, if I had any issues, I would simply contact Sony and they would refer me to a registered Sony repair shop. We made our purchase at Starbucks so there was lots of people around. No issue with safety. I think in the end it's all about common sense. I'm loving my purchase and would do it again.
ohpinion8ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
LaLa4363
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpinion8ted View Post
I purchased my 600 the exact same way - except using Kijiji instead of Craigslist. The Seller had received both a Kindle and a 600 for Christmas. She kept the Kindle and was selling the 600 NIB and having never been registered. She wanted $300 and I bought it for $240. She showed me the 600 in its original packaging, completely sealed, with all original contents - but no receipt. Because it had never been registered, I could register it myself and it would qualify for the Sony warranty. Once registered, if I had any issues, I would simply contact Sony and they would refer me to a registered Sony repair shop. We made our purchase at Starbucks so there was lots of people around. No issue with safety. I think in the end it's all about common sense. I'm loving my purchase and would do it again.

My husband and I are meeting the seller in a public place Saturday.