Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
File management advices ?

Hi,

Okay I got my PRS 600 now. The device is good.

BUT file management is a pain for me right now, be it through Ebook Librairy or Calibre Both interfaces and philosophies are far from intuitive, at least for me. What would take me 1 minute to organize within file explorer take me 30 min with Calibre or Sony Software

My problem is that I transfer files from 2 computers (home and work), and that most of my readings are not regular ebooks, but homemade or dowloaded PDFs (with missing or bad metadata). I can download a lot of little documents, for example saved web pages. I don't want to spend time metadating, tagging, doing collections and so on. But I still need to organize my files. If I create directories on the SD card, the files appear as mixed in the reader and it is sometimes difficult to identify them, as the title displayed is metadata, not real file name. An explorer-like file browser would be perfect for the device but it doesn't work that way.

Any solution or method ? This tagging stuff is ruining my experience
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur

Auto answer : currently experimenting with https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr/wiki that may be what I was looking for.
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Maybe run Calibre with it's library on a USB stick?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur

Well Sonyfmngr works perfectly with PRS 600. There is even no need to synchronize : I just organize my files through folders on the SD card and create collections from folders through Sonyfmngr. That is great !

(The only use for Calibre now would be ebook and RSS conversion)
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastienbillard View Post
Auto answer : currently experimenting with https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr/wiki that may be what I was looking for.
Once I started using this, I never looked back. The Ebook library is just painful to use IMHO, and while Calibre has it's uses, it tries to do to much for my purposes.

I just want to put files on the device and organize them into collections, and that's what this software does, plain and simple.
Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert