Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Kindle 2 Screensaver or Wake From Sleep Problem

Hello - Within a few hours of having my Kindle 2 (very nice upgrade to the Kindle 1) I had an issue where the unit went to sleep and displayed the screensaver. I could not get it to wake up! Sliding the power button to the right did not work. I experimented and had to reset by sliding and holding the power button to right while I pressed the home button. After the reset (it came to life displaying my library) all appeard to be fine.

This morning I had the same issue trying to turn it on - last night I turned it off by sliding the power button to the right so a screen saver was displayed. Note that this does not happen every time I slide the power to the right - I'm wondering if it's some sort of a bug or something else is going on.

Any one else experiencing the same problem?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Since the power switch is a slider, make sure the sliding motion reaches to the other end.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand. I tried numerous time the first time this happened since I thought the unit was frozen. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Next time you see the same problem and you are around a computer, plug in USB to see if it goes into USB mode. (Not a ideal solution, but if it works, then it sounds like a software bug to me. )
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
JoeC
Addict

Hello Steve - One thing I did not mention in my original post is that when it first happened one of the things I tried to do to unfreeze it was to put it into power by trying both AC and then USB. I could never get the power light to display that it was charging.

Last edited by JoeC; 02-26-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
stevenmoy
Zealot

Hm... If the power light didn't come on... Call customer service and leave them a report and see what they want to do in this instance. I am sure customer service will take care of you. Please let us know about your experience.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
JoeC
Addict

Will do. I did send customer service a report but I trust the great people in this forum more <g>. I'm hoping others will chime in if they experienced the same problem so I can provide that information to Amazon. Thanks again for your quick replies.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
K2 is a somewhat new animal and it will take a little time to figure out its quirks (I still don't have mine yet). Until we get up to speed, we'll all have to depend on Amazon CS more than usual.

It's fun to be the early adopters!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
JoeC
Addict

It is fun to be an early adopter. I was as excited to get the new Kindle as I was to get my Nuvomedia Rocketbook "back in the old days".
Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Vabluegrass
Vabluegrass began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
kindle switch to wake not working

I too am having problems with my brand new kindle 2 occasionally not working when I try to wake up kindle by sliding the power switch to the right. I have definitely tried multiple times, each time ensuring that I have pushed the slide all the way to the right. I also tried holding slide to right while holding the home button down for over a minute (hurts fingers). Nothing happens. What gives?
Vabluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
jonathan1234
jonathan1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle power problems

I am having the same problem with powering on my Kindle. I returned my first Kindle because of this problenm, and am having the same problem again on the second unit. I have been gentle with the power switch on both devices, and have tried both USB and AC charging to fix the problem. In my view, this is most definitely a design defect.

Jonathan
jonathan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Winningatlife
Winningatlife began at the beginning.

Amazon Customer support just solved this problem:

1. Take the Amazon case off.
2. Problem solved.

Wtf? The said this only happens with the non-lighted cover. They credited me to buy the cover with the light.
Winningatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
aannttss
aannttss began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question UNRESPONSIVE KINDLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan1234 View Post
I am having the same problem with powering on my Kindle. I returned my first Kindle because of this problenm, and am having the same problem again on the second unit. I have been gentle with the power switch on both devices, and have tried both USB and AC charging to fix the problem. In my view, this is most definitely a design defect.

Jonathan
JUST HAD SAME PROBLEM, KINDLE FROZEN ON SCREEN SAVER, NOT RESPONDING WITH POWER SLIDE, USB CONNECTION OR DIRECT POWER. HELD SLIDER TO RIGHT FOR 15 SECONDS THEN RELEASED. 5 SECONDS LATER GREEN LIGHT CAME ON SYSTEM POWERED ITSELF ON AND I HAVE NOT LOST ANY BOOKS AND READER HAS RESUMED ON PAGE I WAS READING. WILL POST IF PROBLEM RE-OCCURS
aannttss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aannttss View Post
JUST HAD SAME PROBLEM, KINDLE FROZEN ON SCREEN SAVER, NOT RESPONDING WITH POWER SLIDE, USB CONNECTION OR DIRECT POWER. HELD SLIDER TO RIGHT FOR 15 SECONDS THEN RELEASED. 5 SECONDS LATER GREEN LIGHT CAME ON SYSTEM POWERED ITSELF ON AND I HAVE NOT LOST ANY BOOKS AND READER HAS RESUMED ON PAGE I WAS READING. WILL POST IF PROBLEM RE-OCCURS
welcome to the forums! (mind not shouting?)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote