Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #181
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
I don't know if this is the right thread, and sorry for stupid question but should aura hd recognize OTF in epubs, if i put in OTF to font folder?
just a note - only customization that i have is 3.3.0 kobo patcher, and I'm reading only epubs.

Thank you.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #182
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread, and sorry for stupid question but should aura hd recognize OTF in epubs, if i put in OTF to font folder?
just a note - only customization that i have is 3.3.0 kobo patcher, and I'm reading only epubs.
I've had mixed results with otf fonts, some work well, others don't.

Just make sure you follow the strict naming conventions for the font files and don't forget to do a full power off/on after you've loaded them.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #183
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
ok, thank you! just trial and error then...
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #184
johnnystuff
johnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I tried adding the Charis fonts (few of em) but I don't get why the 4 files are needed since it only reads the first of the list, which is Charis Sil-B if you have Charis SIL-R for regular ones, unless you rename the -R file into just Charis Sil, which comes before the -B in this case.

Not that there is a way to change it into bold, italic or bolditalic afterwards anyway.
johnnystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #185
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystuff View Post
I tried adding the Charis fonts (few of em) but I don't get why the 4 files are needed since it only reads the first of the list, which is Charis Sil-B if you have Charis SIL-R for regular ones, unless you rename the -R file into just Charis Sil, which comes before the -B in this case.

Not that there is a way to change it into bold, italic or bolditalic afterwards anyway.
Maybe you need to reread post #1 of this thread, specifically the 'How to add fonts' section.

The first thing you need to do is find the internal font name of the Charis ttf files you have. In Windows you can usually just double-click the Regular variant and look at the top line labelled 'Font name:'. For instance mine says Charis SIL Modified Once you have this name you rename the ttf files accordingly. Using my example they would be:
Charis SIL Modified.ttf (or Charis SIL Modified-Regular.ttf)
Charis SIL Modified-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL Modified-Italic.ttf
Charis SIL Modified-BoldItalic.ttf

Once you've renamed them correctly copy to the Kobo /fonts directory, disconnect safely then do a full Power Off/On.

You definitely need all 4 files. The epub's internal html/css will determine which portions of text will be bold, italic or bolditalic rather than regular.
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #186
duncann
duncann began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Maybe you need to reread post #1 of this thread, specifically the 'How to add fonts' section.

The first thing you need to do is find the internal font name of the Charis ttf files you have. In Windows you can usually just double-click the Regular variant and look at the top line labelled 'Font name:'. For instance mine says Charis SIL Modified Once you have this name you rename the ttf files accordingly. Using my example they would be:
Charis SIL Modified.ttf (or Charis SIL Modified-Regular.ttf)
Charis SIL Modified-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL Modified-Italic.ttf
Charis SIL Modified-BoldItalic.ttf

Once you've renamed them correctly copy to the Kobo /fonts directory, disconnect safely then do a full Power Off/On.

You definitely need all 4 files. The epub's internal html/css will determine which portions of text will be bold, italic or bolditalic rather than regular.
This may work for the most part, but I've come across some fonts that have 'extended' or 'additional' internal naming in them. Trying to get these fonts to work on the kobo will fail unless the 'additional' names are blank. I used a program called FontCreator to change these. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the kobo system fonts don't display italics or bold because of this extra naming info.
duncann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #187
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncann View Post
This may work for the most part, but I've come across some fonts that have 'extended' or 'additional' internal naming in them. Trying to get these fonts to work on the kobo will fail unless the 'additional' names are blank. I used a program called FontCreator to change these. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the kobo system fonts don't display italics or bold because of this extra naming info.
Yes, I've had to use FontCreator on some of my custom fonts to tweak internal naming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncann View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the kobo system fonts don't display italics or bold because of this extra naming info.
That may possibly be why system font Avenir Next isn't working properly in v3.11. Can't use FontCreator to fix system fonts, though. However the font in question was sideloaded Charis SIL. I haven't had any internal naming issues with this one. JSWolf's modified version of Charis has worked OK in every firmware version I've used, from v2.5 onwards.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #188
johnnystuff
johnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy bluejohnnystuff can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Like.... where it says
Quote:
Linux Libertine.ttf (or Linux Libertine-Regular.ttf)
?

Since all fonts I downloaded have the -Regular suffix I just left it but that led to the -Bold to be read first (I sware it loaded the bold ones by default). Anyway, no biggie, just removing the suffix fixed it.
johnnystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #189
lockedinabook
lockedinabook began at the beginning.

Device: glo
so where are the attachments with the fonts?
lockedinabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #190
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystuff View Post
Like.... where it says

?

Since all fonts I downloaded have the -Regular suffix I just left it but that led to the -Bold to be read first (I sware it loaded the bold ones by default). Anyway, no biggie, just removing the suffix fixed it.
The font name as displayed in the ereader's font menu is the font name. It should not show the -Regular, -Bold, etc. in the font file name. For the Charis SIL fonts I have installed, Charis SIL CompactLarger and Charis SIL SmCp CompactLarger are shown as the font name despite the attached -Regular/whatever in the font file names. The majority of the times I've seen oddities in the font list were when the ereader was not power cycled after a new font was installed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #191
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedinabook View Post
so where are the attachments with the fonts?
Check the spoilers in the first message in this thread. Some of the later additions are scattered throughout this thread if they haven't been moved into the first message.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #192
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Is the OP updated with the most recent fonts? I believe JSWolf is always tweaking his Charis fonts...
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #193
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Is the OP updated with the most recent fonts? I believe JSWolf is always tweaking his Charis fonts...
Actually it's not. I'll PM the OP and give the new links. Thank you for the reminder.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #194
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Guess it's time to recreate this in the wiki so anyone can edit.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #195
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Guess it's time to recreate this in the wiki so anyone can edit.
But before that's done, can you please edit the links for...

Charis SIlL Compact to be https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

The updates with this is that I added kerning, more weight, and used the newest version Charis SIL

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-17-2016 at 04:21 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote