Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
cptsmidge
cptsmidge began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quick Regex Question

Hey, sorry to bother everyone with another Regex question.

My book has weird question marks in place of hyphens (book?worm, land?locked), and I was trying to replace it, but I can't get the replace string to work.

Right now I'm using this as the search string, which seems to only select the question marks with characters on either side (not proper question marks):

Code:
\w\?\w
But no matter what I try in the "Replace" area, whatever I typed gets inserted into the code.

I tried variations of:

Code:
\1 \2
But no luck.
cptsmidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You have no capture groups in your search expression. So it doesn't know what to replace and what to keep.

Code:
(\w)\?(\w)
Code:
\1-\2
should then replace the "?" with the "-" and keep the two original word-characters preceding and following.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
cptsmidge

Oh thank you! Thanks for the quick response too. 1159 replacements made.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Oh thank you! Thanks for the quick response too. 1159 replacements made.
You're quite welcome. But I hope you stepped through several instances to make sure it was doing what you wanted before you hit "Replace All."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
cptsmidge

Absolutely. I did probably 3 complete html documents before I committed. It isn't perfect, but that's the fault of the inconsistency of the file, not the code.
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But I hope you stepped through several instances to make sure it was doing what you wanted before you hit "Replace All."
No risk, no fun.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
No risk, no fun.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote