Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 03:20 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
Another nugget of information: if it turns out to be true...fingers crossed

iRex has partnered with Wacom to bring Tablet PC like features in the ebook reader. For instance you can use the stylus pen to write or sketch on the screen and that gets saved with your document in iRex’s memory. You could connect the iRex to your PC via USB and convert all the handwritten text into digital format just like Microsoft OneNote or Abbyy Reader.

Source

http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/irex-d...0-review/4623/
Sorry - you can do exactly that on the iLiad, can you not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #137
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
USB keyboard ?

Hi

Does anyone have any clue if Irex Digital Reader is going to work with an USB keyboard ? I know it's miniUSB, but there ARE miniUSB keyboards. Can the device work as "usb master" ? If so, which version(s) ? Would it work for the basic one ?

Can the stylus be used to input japanese characters (OCR them) ? That would be very useful for me because I'm dealing with chinese/japanese characters at work. Can the software available for Iliad do that ? Is it possible to use japanese dictionary, for example ?

Any news on boot time ?

Last edited by b0rsuk; 09-24-2008 at 06:03 AM.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #138
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
I wonder why it doesn't support MS Word???? Since most office users have to deal with Word it would make sense to support Word from the start.
Is Word format so difficult to handle?
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #139
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Irex sells additional sytli an "advanced" and a "professional" one.
https://www.irexshop.com/index.php?cPath=1_31
Quote:
Originally Posted by irex shop
Processional Stylus is fitted with an eraser*.
* Eraser will be supported in future software update for Digital Reader"
I'm a bit confused. How does connenting to LAN work?
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #140
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
I wonder why it doesn't support MS Word???? Since most office users have to deal with Word it would make sense to support Word from the start.
Is Word format so difficult to handle?
yes, especially since MS probably won't sell a licence to them so that it'll work in linux.

Edit: the old (.doc) format spec and its contemporaries has been released, yes.. but i doubt the new Office 2007 formats work.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 09-24-2008 at 08:55 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #141
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry - you can do exactly that on the iLiad, can you not?
That is correct.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #142
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
yes, especially since MS probably won't sell a licence to them so that it'll work in linux
Ummm, OpenOffice ring a bell? Can handle MS Word propriety formats without problems
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #143
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
Does anyone have any clue if Irex Digital Reader is going to work with an USB keyboard ? I know it's miniUSB, but there ARE miniUSB keyboards. Can the device work as "usb master" ? If so, which version(s) ? Would it work for the basic one ?
Its a safe bet that as delivered the USB port won't work with a keyboard. The Freescale i.MX31L FactSheet mentions USB On-The-Go and 2x USB Hosts. So (a) it might be possible to reconfigure the USB for OTG (which would allow some keyboards to work), and (b) there is an unused "iPod-like connector" located at the bottom of the DR1000 (see Post #75). I'm not sure what "iPod-like" means, but if this is a USB port then it can probably be made to work with memory sticks and keyboards.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #144
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Its a safe bet that as delivered the USB port won't work with a keyboard. .
You mean it's not likely to work at first because they have higher priorities and such things typically (if ever) come in later software updates ? Because DR1000 is first and foremost a reading device ?

Quote:
The Freescale i.MX31L FactSheet mentions USB On-The-Go and 2x USB Hosts. So (a) it might be possible to reconfigure the USB for OTG (which would allow some keyboards to work),
So it all depends on the software they use ? Linux is open source, but they may have used binary blobs here and there. It depends on how tightly it's locked, right ? I think the only thing we know right now is that the CPU is capable of handling USB "master". (By USB OTG). By the way, how does USB OTG look like ? Is it a distinct slot, or another "way" of using existing USB slots ? Is it possible that Irex Digital Reader has an "ordinary" USB slot, not OTG one and connecting a keyboard is simply impossible ?

Quote:
I'm not sure what "iPod-like" means, but if this is a USB port then it can probably be made to work with memory sticks and keyboards.
I wish I knew. I guess the best I can do is wait for some reviews by technical people. If it requires some hacking, library/kernel modifications etc to make it work - I'm fine with it. I can follow instructions as long as they don't involve writing assembly code.
Thank you for information.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #145
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
By the way, how does USB OTG look like?
The existing hardware may support it, but I don't know for sure, from the usb.org FAQ:

Quote:
USB OTG defines a dual-role device, which can act as either a host or peripheral, and can connect to either a PC or other portable devices through the same connector.
The Nokia N8X0 (also Linux based) has explicit OTG support, and I think the only issue for connected devices is the lack of power and the need for weird cables.

I doubt iRex will support OTG, because it is outside their concept of how the device is used. If the hardware is OTG-capable, it should be possible, though, to enable this via add-on system-level software (or just switch the connector to a master, which I think has also be done on the N8X0 via software).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #146
Tomek
Enthusiast
Tomek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Does anyone know if the Mobipocket support in DS1000S includes:

1) highlights
2) notes
3) bookmarks
4) changing between sarif and sanserif fonts
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #147
manekineko
manekineko began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-10047886-82.html

And this is the interesting part

And Brons says the $849 wireless version will have a full-fledged Web browser that's able to deal with moving Flash images by converting them into static still images
OMG, if true, they've got a sale here.
manekineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #148
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek View Post
Does anyone know if the Mobipocket support in DS1000S includes:

1) highlights
2) notes
3) bookmarks
4) changing between sarif and sanserif fonts
From the FAQ:

A:
• Remember last read page
• Change font size
• Zoom selection (custom area and pre-defined zoom levels)
• Auto crop content (remove border white space)
• Fit page to screen
• Panning
• Landscape and portrait reading mode
• Continuous and page-by-page reading mode
• Show pages as thumbnails
• Full screen reading mode (no page- and toolbar)
• Back and forward in viewed pages
• Table of content
• Create/remove a bookmark on a page
• Table of bookmarks
• Search in the document
• Write and erase comments (handwritten annotations)
• Change the pen thickness
• Mobipocket dictionary support from any content format

So, yes it has bookmark and notes support.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #149
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
These are the most interesting ones to me:

• Auto crop content (remove border white space)
• Landscape and portrait reading mode

NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #150
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
T

I also wonder how they will do "continuous" reading mode. Does that mean there will be sometype of scrolling support?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote