Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Has the issue with minor screen impacts causing bright spots been fixed?

I read this article about how having keys hit your eReader from 4" can cause bright spots to be displayed when the glowlight is on:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UE48gZb-1sk

Does this issue still exists, or has there been a hardware correction made in newer models of the STR Glowlight?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I read this article about how having keys hit your eReader from 4" can cause bright spots to be displayed when the glowlight is on:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UE48gZb-1sk

Does this issue still exists, or has there been a hardware correction made in newer models of the STR Glowlight?
I bought one about two weeks ago, unfortunately it came with a pin hole tear which leaked a small amount of light, and ended up driving me crazy.

With it ALREADY defective - I went ahead and tested the key thing...

The first time was about six inches and the key landed flat on the screen without issues.

The second time - the pointy end hit first from the same height - a tear a few millimeters long developed!

The outside was intact, and with the light off gave no indication of a tear. Turn the light on - and light shown like crazy!

I exchanged it (without guilt since it came defective), got a new one, and an accidental warranty.

Keeping it in a case + resting it upside down seems like the solution. It's fallen off the bed a few times (in it's M-Edge Latitude Jacket) without issue.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
My wife beats her nook up pretty bad. It has no damage, but she falls asleep with it and it falls to the floor with the cover open, ends up bouncing around the car.

I think the Glowlight would be a mistake for her.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I've had my glow for several months and first only used a zippered case for transport, but later bought a regular case - its dropped (while falling asleep) and I've had no problems with the screen. The Glow is the way to go...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
I'd heard about the light holes and assumed it was probably sensationalist reporting till I got to see one in the US. It had the same light holes. I asked the Nook sales person at that B and N and he said it was caused by a fake fingernail. He added that it happened regularly to their demo models so they stopped replacing them. So that ended me considering a Nook with Glowlight.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I've had a NST w/Glowlight since about a month after it launched. Unfortunately the rumors are true, this thing is just a bit fragile with respect to the light. I carry mine with me most days protected in a courier bag and wearing the B&N leather cover designed for the NST/NSTG and mine has now developed a 2mm long hairline "light crack" too without it ever getting hit or dropped, etc.. Luckily it is not super annoying as it's near the top of the screen..

I have the accidental damage policy I am kind of tempted to see if they'll give me a new one.

Honestly I feel like this thing was a mistake anyway.. the contrast without the light is more annoying then I expected. It's a lot worse then my old e-Reader (Kindle DX Graphite) in certain lighting conditions, and the GlowLight looks really blue when you use it in a room that is light but is dim. (Conditions that you would not need a light with a regular NST are the worst case for this reader.) I ride the subway and I see people with regular NSTs and Kindles and their screens look great in that dim light whereas the Glow either looks too low contrast (no light) or blue and obnoxious (with light). In total darkness the Glow is great though.

The idea of the light is great it is just not implemented well.. I am going to give the Kindle Paperwhite a try.. if that doesn't work I'll return that and go back to a non-lit E-ink reader.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
It exists, as it is a property of the screen. I really suggest a cover, and keeping the cover closed when not in use to prevent accidental impacts. That's what I did, and didn't end up with any issues.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I have had mine 5 months. I use a cover but I ususally remove it when I read. I've had it drop on the floor, cat walk on it, accidently put my lap-top on it and no problems to report.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote