Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Online source for publication dates etc?

I'm sorry to expose my ignorance yet again, but I need some help to find an online source for the publication dates and places for Elizabeth Gaskell books - and indeed, if it's at all possible, for all PD books.

I'm in the process of designing ebooks versions of The Grey Woman, and Other Tales, by Elizabeth Gaskell. There are seven other short stories in the original book. They were all published individually - most of them either anonymously or under pen names - and I'd like to add an appendix giving where and when they were published.

It's easy to get this kind of information for Stanley J. Weyman and Wilkie Collins books because there are websites for their works. But the websites I've found for Elizabeth Gaskell don't have this information, and I haven't been able to find the information on the British Library site.

Any suggestions?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Wikipedia contains the stuff you want I think. Look up the Author's name. 1861 was the date.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Wikipedia contains the stuff you want I think. Look up the Author's name. 1861 was the date.

Dale
Thanks, Dale. I appreciate your trouble, but unless I'm looking at the wrong Wikipedia entry or it's changed over the past few days I don't see the data for the individual stories.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Can't say if this info is 100% accurate or not, but this is what a little Googling give me...

The Grey Woman - 1861
Curious if True -1860
Six Weeks at Heppenheim - Cornhill Magazine 1862
Libbie Marsh's Three Eras - 1847
Christmas Storms and Sunshine - 1848
Hand and Heart - 1849
Bessy's Troubles at Home - 1865
Disappearances - 1851
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Dale. I appreciate your trouble, but unless I'm looking at the wrong Wikipedia entry or it's changed over the past few days I don't see the data for the individual stories.
Did you look in the American version?

Short stories

Libbie Marsh's Three Eras (1847)
The Sexton's Hero (1847)
Christmas Storms and Sunshine (1848)
Hand and Heart (1849)
The Well of Pen-Morfa (1850)
The Heart of John Middleton (1850)
Disappearances (1851)
Bessy's Troubles at Home (1852)
The Old Nurse's Story (1852)
Cumberland Sheep-Shearers (1853)
Morton Hall (1853)
Traits and Stories of the Huguenots (1853)
My French Master (1853)
The Squire's Story (1853)
Half a Life-time Ago (1855)
Company Manners (1854)
The Poor Clare (1856)
The Doom of the Griffiths (1858)
Right at Last (1858)
"The Manchester Marriage" (1858)[19]
The Haunted House (1859)[20]
The Crooked Branch (1859)
The Half-brothers (1859)
Curious If True (1860)
The Grey Woman (1861)
The Cage at Cranford (1863)
Crowley Castle (1863)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Gaskell

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Hi Alex. Here is a site I stumbled on that has lots of bibliography info I didn't find anywhere else. I don't know if they have info on short stories, though.

http://www.booksandwriters.co.uk/
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Hi Alex. Here is a site I stumbled on that has lots of bibliography info I didn't find anywhere else. I don't know if they have info on short stories, though.

Wow, that is an impressive site. Thx!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post

Thanks again, GrannyGrump

I'm afraid you're right; there isn't much information on the short stories or collections. I was able to find the Chadwick bibliography on the Internet Archive, and it has a quite useful bibliography.

I've also recently acquired Elizabeth Gaskell: A bibliographic catalogue by Walter E Smith, which is very useful.

On a different topic: the section on Round the Sofa in this book has a list of 46 'flaws' in the first impression (including ancle), which has been reduced to thirteen (different) flaws in the second impression. He also states that in each impression some books have the flaws and some books from the same impression don't have the flaws.

I don't quite know what to do with this.